Top Shelf Aquatics

Creative Container Pico Contest - Official Announcement

Felicia

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have it, and frequently recommend it. :lol:  So much that I bookmarked the link lol.  It's about 6-7 inches long, and at the fattest parts on the ends, maybe the diameter of a nickel or so.  It's an excellent heater, it's on my 5.5 and temps have been rock steady since day one.  @gena got one for her jar. :)

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have it, and frequently recommend it. :lol:  So much that I bookmarked the link lol.  It's about 6-7 inches long, and at the fattest parts on the ends, maybe the diameter of a nickel or so.  It's an excellent heater, it's on my 5.5 and temps have been rock steady since day one.  @gena got one for her jar. :)

We are big fans of that heater :D

I'm curious for those using a powerhead, are you noticing an increase in temperature?  I'm debating trying one instead becuase the bubbles in my tank from the air pump are kinda getting on my nerves :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thank you, it looks great but sounds like it will be too long for my pico which isn't even 6-7 inches tall :o 

I am using a tiny $5 fountain pump from ebay that has adjustable flow, has not effected temps. I am unsure which brand but it looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/66gph-Submersible-Outdoor-Fountain-Waterfall-Replacement-Water-Pump-3-prong-Plug/1631966107?iid=221192743685

1 hour ago, gena said:

I'm curious for those using a powerhead, are you noticing an increase in temperature?  I'm debating trying one instead becuase the bubbles in my tank from the air pump are kinda getting on my nerves :D

Just now, Tamberav said:

Thank you, it looks great but sounds like it will be too long for my pico which isn't even 6-7 inches tall :o

In that case, I'd look for a flat betta bowl heater and get a temperature controller like Finnex or Inkbird. :)

3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How would everyone feel about the contest journals being moved into our Pico Reefs forum instead of the main Aquarium Journals forum? I was thinking the whole Pico forum would benefit from some extra activity.

Existing journals would be moved and display as redirecting topics in the Aquarium Journals forum for 30 days.

I never knew there was a pico forum! Lol but makes total sense. Now to figure out where the Pico forum is. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am using a tiny $5 fountain pump from ebay that has adjustable flow, has not effected temps. I am unsure which brand but it looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/p/66gph-Submersible-Outdoor-Fountain-Waterfall-Replacement-Water-Pump-3-prong-Plug/1631966107?iid=221192743685

Oh awesome!  How does it attach?  Suction cup?

3 minutes ago, gena said:

I use a similar one from Amazon, it's got a couple suction cups on the back.  Not the strongest flow in the world but it's alright.

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I use a similar one from Amazon, it's got a couple suction cups on the back.  Not the strongest flow in the world but it's alright.

With sand, that might be a good thing.  Especially my really fine oolite sand :o.

• Like 1
GunslingerGirl
1 hour ago, gena said:

Yep raised the water up by like 5 degrees. At least my cyclone maker I mean koralia is.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, gena said:

Has 4 suction cups on the back and that little line/nob on the bottom of the pic is the flow control which is basically just a piece of plastic inside that blocks off the pump partially.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Will the lights alone not heat up such small pico's?

I would think so but they will be turned off at night and it gets cold here in winter.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Has 4 suction cups on the back and that little line/nob on the bottom of the pic is the flow control which is basically just a piece of plastic inside that blocks off the pump partially.

Ok, thanks!  I ordered one :D .These bubbles are on my last nerve :lol:.  I thought they were nice and relaxing at first LOL.

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, gena said:

Ok, thanks!  I ordered one :D .These bubbles are on my last nerve :lol:.  I thought they were nice and relaxing at first LOL.

Yeah, I can't have bubbles because mine is a top down view only and they cause too much turbulence at the surface. I hope it works for your jar. I think it is 2 watts. 

My water right now is like 70 degrees... burrr.. but no light yet and it is open top. Your jar is a lot bigger though so I would think it would be okay. I think Kat used one like it in her 3g JBJ.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yeah, I can't have bubbles because mine is a top down view only and they cause too much turbulence at the surface. I hope it works for your jar. I think it is 2 watts. 

My water right now is like 70 degrees... burrr.. but no light yet and it is open top. Your jar is a lot bigger though so I would think it would be okay. I think Kat used one like it in her 3g JBJ.

I prefer something that gives me lower flow (cuz of sand) so this should work great!  Thanks again for the link! 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Will the lights alone not heat up such small pico's?

In my experience it's risky to rely on just a powerhead or lights for a pico, my first 1.5 gal was staying so warm with the powerhead that I unplugged the heater, then a sudden cold snap and temps hit the 60s.  I always thought it was one contributing factor in my first tank crash that week. :(

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I have one of these ordered! :)

18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, thanks, but this is totally different. My 4g pico had all the features of a big tank, dosing, skimming, Apex control, ATO, even a powerhead. The appeal to me is to see how much can be done with doing 100 percent water changes instead of all that fancy stuff. 

Imagine how popular this hobby could be if we could keep corals without much more equipment than you need for a goldfish :)

Yay! omgomgomg

Yay!! :) Thanks Teeny!

8 hours ago, gena said:

I've seen this done and it looks so cool.  nothing fancy just some macro algae and a rock but it still looked way cool. 

I'll take the jar on the far left and the pink next to it :wub:

WOOOOHOOOOO :happydance:

And @teenyreef, you better join fingerscrossed.

Thanks Gena! :wub: 

• Like 2

Since we’re on the topic of heaters and pumps anyway, I’m somewhat lost on what to do. My contest pico is a roughly 5”x7” cylinder- making every heater too big. I’m thinking about using one of those seed starting heat mats, and putting it below the tank in the extra space between the glass and concrete. Or a flat/circular heater and burying it in the sand? Either way, I need a tiny and or flat heater recommendation

Now for flow, I want something that doesn’t make a cord run up and over the side of the tank- it’ll ruin the sleek modern look I’m going for. So some sort of power head or airline tubing is in order? Idk of any power-heads suitable for a half gallon tank though.

Should I use this JBJ flourescent bulb that I have on hand, or buy a new one and spend the extra $25 for the ABI bulb and $10 for a fixture? I think the JBJ is plenty for such a tiny tank, but I don’t have any clue how to know for sure. The 13w ABI bulb may be overkill....

C100D88B-518A-4DDD-BE62-67DA9D374674.jpeg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JoeR said:

Since we’re on the topic of heaters and pumps anyway, I’m somewhat lost on what to do. My contest pico is a roughly 5”x7” cylinder- making every heater too big. I’m thinking about using one of those seed starting heat mats, and putting it below the tank in the extra space between the glass and concrete. Or a flat/circular heater and burying it in the sand? Either way, I need a tiny and or flat heater recommendation

Now for flow, I want something that doesn’t make a cord run up and over the side of the tank- it’ll ruin the sleek modern look I’m going for. So some sort of power head or airline tubing is in order? Idk of any power-heads suitable for a half gallon tank though.

Should I use this JBJ flourescent bulb that I have on hand, or buy a new one and spend the extra $25 for the ABI bulb and $10 for a fixture? I think the JBJ is plenty for such a tiny tank, but I don’t have any clue how to know for sure. The 13w ABI bulb may be overkill....

C100D88B-518A-4DDD-BE62-67DA9D374674.jpeg

For a heater, look into a little betta heater used in conjunction with a temperature controller such as Inkbird or Finnex (or the one I keep recommending from Aqua Forest Aquariums).  For flow--the smallest powerheads will probably be ok, like the one someone linked while ago (look for a little fountain pump type powerhead)--they'll still be about 2" square though.  You can also do the airline which would probably be a better option for this size but I'd try to rig up a lid for it to prevent salt from getting everywhere.  For the light--is it a screw-in bulb?  Technically that's the only kind we're allowed to use.  For this size tank, you can either look at Reef Radiance's 7w PAR bulb (I've used and like it but it's kind of purple) or just the Coralife 10w 50/50 compact flourescent bulb would probably be fine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

For a heater, look into a little betta heater used in conjunction with a temperature controller such as Inkbird or Finnex (or the one I keep recommending from Aqua Forest Aquariums).  For flow--the smallest powerheads will probably be ok, like the one someone linked while ago (look for a little fountain pump type powerhead)--they'll still be about 2" square though.  You can also do the airline which would probably be a better option for this size but I'd try to rig up a lid for it to prevent salt from getting everywhere.  For the light--is it a screw-in bulb?  Technically that's the only kind we're allowed to use.  For this size tank, you can either look at Reef Radiance's 7w PAR bulb (I've used and like it but it's kind of purple) or just the Coralife 10w 50/50 compact flourescent bulb would probably be fine.

Thanks for the help!

I looked at the reviews for some of the beta heaters, and they’re either negative or mixed. I don’t know if I can trust them or not. I was looking at this one, but again- the reviews are mixed. Does it not really matter as long as I use your suggested controllers?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JVQ67K/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Whoops, guess I didn’t read the rules close enough. It does not screw in to a standard socket, so I think you’re right- it’s technically against the rules (?).

I defintely need to research the flow issue more, airline tube vs. power head. 2” may still be too big, but I don’t think I want the airline because of all the bubbles and salt spray like you mentioned. I prefer no lid, as it’ll ruin the modern look, but I also don’t want to spend $135 on the micro smart ATO when the purpose is to be low cost. sigh. Such first world problems, huh?

Back to the drawing board..

I have used a 10watt heater that's good for up to 7g.

It was extremely unreliable. Often raised a 5g to 85. 

They have no settings, same with the flat betta heaters.

For me, I personally can't invest in any equipment, I have to do this with what I have. 

4 hours ago, JoeR said:

Thanks for the help!

I looked at the reviews for some of the beta heaters, and they’re either negative or mixed. I don’t know if I can trust them or not. I was looking at this one, but again- the reviews are mixed. Does it not really matter as long as I use your suggested controllers?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JVQ67K/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Whoops, guess I didn’t read the rules close enough. It does not screw in to a standard socket, so I think you’re right- it’s technically against the rules (?).

I defintely need to research the flow issue more, airline tube vs. power head. 2” may still be too big, but I don’t think I want the airline because of all the bubbles and salt spray like you mentioned. I prefer no lid, as it’ll ruin the modern look, but I also don’t want to spend $135 on the micro smart ATO when the purpose is to be low cost. sigh. Such first world problems, huh?

Back to the drawing board..

In theory, using a controller will keep the temperature right where you want it, and you should be safe using it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

For me, I personally can't invest in any equipment

Low budget, or absolutely nothing at all?

If you want to introduce some heat, I might just forget the heater and make sure you have a lid (to eliminate evaporation), run a light cycle of at least 10 hours, and add a powerhead.

IDK, maybe something like a

Eheim Compact 300: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Eheim-Compact-300-Pump-80-GPH.html

Hydro Pico: https://www.bigalspets.com/hydor-circulation-pumps-for-aquariums.html?sku=61153

or just  small pump designed for fountains.  Anything to add some continuous watts/heat.  You see these powerheads cost about $20.

30 minutes ago, seabass said:

Low budget, or absolutely nothing at all?

If you want to introduce some heat, I might just forget the heater and make sure you have a lid (to eliminate evaporation), run a light cycle of at least 10 hours, and add a powerhead.

IDK, maybe something like a

Eheim Compact 300: http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Eheim-Compact-300-Pump-80-GPH.html

Hydro Pico: https://www.bigalspets.com/hydor-circulation-pumps-for-aquariums.html?sku=61153

or just  small pump designed for fountains.  Anything to add some continuous watts/heat.  You see these powerheads cost about $20.

I currently have that eheim compact on my IM nuvo 16g, waiting to upgrade to one with a higher turnover rate. But i love these little pumps. Very quiet and reliable. 

So maybe i should buy the stronger powerhead for the tank and use this for the 2g I'm planning on. 

But I was wondering if the flow wouldn't be too high for a 2g? 

Also. I don't have a bowl yet. But I guess you should count me in for real now. If i don't say that i will keep wondering and end up not doing it! :tears: i guess the Bowl will get here after exams (done on october 27th) and that's also when i will start to set it up. I already have some stocking plans.

*hides* this is so scary:blink:

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic