Pod Your Reef

Are reefers Cliquy?

Pjanssen

O m g reefers are so damn cliquey. Especially in my local reef club. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the cool kids. ??

I Agree with most of what has been said here as well. I follow a few threads closely and seem to comment more on people's threads I'm familiar with.

Personally I would love to comment more and get more love in my thread but who the hell has time for that? 

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Well I can't speak for others, but I'll read just about any thread no matter whose it is.  I actually am often deterred from the more active tank threads because of their sheer size.  It can be daunting to catch up on.  I just started following @stellablue's thread very recently, and @metrokat's this morning.  And it took quite a bit of reading.  I often find myself gravitating towards the threads of new tanks, because reading one or two pages is easy. 

As for my thread, well I blame the lack of activity on my rockwork.  Although it's now covered in corals, the first thing someone sees when they click on my thread is a current FTS and the not so great scape.  A big ol' pile of rocks :P But I like it.

7 minutes ago, tashayar said:

I stopped visiting certain people's aquarium journals when you could tell that they weren't wearing any clothes in the reflection on their tank photos.  

:lol: 

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

O m g reefers are so damn cliquey. Especially in my local reef club. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that I'm one of the cool kids. ??

"OMG". Ugggh, come on clicky reefers.... shun hmmm!!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TheBig053 said:

"OMG". Ugggh, come on clicky reefers.... shun hmmm!!!!

I truly have no idea what these words mean. 

• Like 3
Just now, TheBig053 said:

They mean nada. We can all be friends.

Maybe it was the punctuation. Either way I was just trying to be funny. ?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Sharbuckle said:

Maybe it was the punctuation. Either way I was just trying to be funny. ?

Me too, and I likely missed the mark. Either way....nObOkNk.png

• Like 5
RayWhisperer

Most are, I guess that's just life.

someone posted earlier something about the vets, or high post count (I can't remember) getting more replies. That's not always the case, though. Me, for example. I've been here a long ass time, outside of the lounge, most folks don't converse with me unless it's in one of their threads I responded in. Hell, I've got a thread now, I don't think anyone's replied in. It's just the interwebs, though. You gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

As for what threads I respond in. Well, honestly, if the title strikes an interest in me, I might reply. 

• Like 12
Nano sapiens

Hmmm, naked reflections, reef dongs and such...heck, if this keeps up this thread has the potential of reaching a triple digit page count (especially if some of the more uninhibited Lounge folk start wading in...) ;) 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well I can't speak for others, but I'll read just about any thread no matter whose it is.  I actually am often deterred from the more active tank threads because of their sheer size.  It can be daunting to catch up on.  I just started following @stellablue's thread very recently, and @metrokat's this morning.  And it took quite a bit of reading.  I often find myself gravitating towards the threads of new tanks, because reading one or two pages is easy. 

As for my thread, well I blame the lack of activity on my rockwork.  Although it's now covered in corals, the first thing someone sees when they click on my thread is a current FTS and the not so great scape.  A big ol' pile of rocks :P But I like it.

:lol: 

Wow, picking @stellablue and @metrokat to read from the beginning is truly ambitious. Next you gotta do @teenyreef and @urbaneks.

I like your thread. You could always update the first page with a current FTS if you wanted to.

5 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Hmmm, naked reflections, reef dongs and such...heck, if this keeps up this thread has the potential of reaching a triple digit page count (especially if some of the more uninhibited Lounge folk start wading in...) ;) 

come on in lounge rats-all are welcome here

• Like 7
7 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

someone posted earlier something about the vets, or high post count (I can't remember) getting more replies. That's not always the case, though. Me, for example. I've been here a long ass time, outside of the lounge, most folks don't converse with me unless it's in one of their threads I responded in. Hell, I've got a thread now, I don't think anyone's replied in. It's just the interwebs, though. You gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

As for what threads I respond in. Well, honestly, if the title strikes an interest in me, I might reply. 

You have a thread? Link? Thanks for thinking my title is interesting and replying.

BTW-I love that you keep Jeramai's quote up. He was one of the few that kept me interested in the hobby when I was a newbie. Miss his little bouncing elephant.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Ok, ok, ok.....

i agree with @stellablue,  I think i typically reply to the people I  "know" first..... then I hit the other threads on the home page.  

I also agree with @ninjamyst..... I check in on threads that have the same tank, equipment, etc.  

i feel it's sort of like making friends in person.....sometimes it's out of shared interests, sometimes it's out of a shared experience, and sometimes it's just luck.  I think just as in life, the more you reach out and be authentic, the more people will respond. 

Wouldn't it be great to meet! I'm envious of the NY reefers, they seem to be able to meet up. I suggest a ROAD TRIP!

• Like 2
Just now, Pjanssen said:

Wouldn't it be great to meet! I'm envious of the NY reefers, they seem to be able to meet up. I suggest a ROAD TRIP!

I think so. :) It seems like the reefers on the coasts get together a lot.   

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I think so. :) It seems like the reefers on the coasts get together a lot.   

I don't know any reefers in my area. I'm sure they are out there but I can never make any of the local reef club events to meet any of them. Palm Beachers, are you out there?!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, tashayar said:

I stopped visiting certain people's aquarium journals when you could tell that they weren't wearing any clothes in the reflection on their tank photos.  

:lol: wat??? I can't tell if this is serious or a joke...

• Like 3
mitten_reef
8 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

You should put your personal tank journal/thread in the signature. I'd definitely drop by, but I'm too lazy to search without direct link (assume many others are like me). I'd say you, @seabass, @Clown79, @Weetabix7 and a few other fine folks of NR have always given out nice advice and reef tidbits. And I'd love to be able to "drop in" on your tank journal/thread just to share back some of the love you gave to the community, even if I weren't actively following. 

I noticed that people signatures don't show on my iPhone, @Christopher Marks, was this by designed?

• Like 5
9 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.....

YEEEEESSSSS Lord of the Rings quote!! I tip my hat to you sir

• Like 3
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

You should put your personal tank journal/thread in the signature. I'd definitely drop by, but I'm too lazy to search without direct link (assume many others are like me). I'd say you, @seabass, @Clown79, @Weetabix7 and a few other fine folks of NR have always given out nice advice and reef tidbits. And I'd love to be able to "drop in" on your tank journal/thread just to share back some of the love you gave to the community, even if I weren't actively following. 

I noticed that people signatures don't show on my iPhone, @Christopher Marks, was this by designed?

I'd have a signature with my link, I have no idea how to do it.lol. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Do please link your tank thread if you have one, I'd genuinely love to see that. 

Just speaking for myself here, but whether I post or comment or not depends a great deal on where I'm at that day. 

If it's a normal day or I'm feeling "up", I usually try to help people with questions and then visit tank threads of people I know, as in, I've interacted with them here. 

If I'm tired I usually will only do a quick stop by of the people whose tanks I like to keep up with. 

Sometimes I get on here when I'm really beat and I'll visit a bunch of stuff but rarely comment. 

I've been a bit tired & distracted a lot lately guys, sorry. :P

13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Ok, ok, ok.....

i agree with @stellablue,  I think i typically reply to the people I  "know" first..... then I hit the other threads on the home page.  

I also agree with @ninjamyst..... I check in on threads that have the same tank, equipment, etc.  

i feel it's sort of like making friends in person.....sometimes it's out of shared interests, sometimes it's out of a shared experience, and sometimes it's just luck.  I think just as in life, the more you reach out and be authentic, the more people will respond. 

Yes, yes, this!!

• Like 8
12 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

A little while ago, I was actually thinking out loud something similar to this in "what's on your mind?" status update. I felt like if you aren't a beginner looking for advice, you don't get a ton of traffic on your thread. Or if you're not a NR vet, you don't know many ppl that had been here a long time. So I called myself stuck in a reefing's version of sohpomore slump. 

To be honest though, I don't venture out to too many threads (probably follow 10 or so), so me not getting traffic is my own doing as well. 

I have actually visited your thread much more often than I've commented on it. 

Sorry. :blush:

Like I said, been tired lately. 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Another thing I've noticed is that those tank threads where only tank related issues are discussed tend to have a lot less traffic in comparison to those that are full of a person's life events.  Just the way it is...

Huh, interesting observation. 

Good to know I'm not scaring people away with all the real life observations that tend to pop up in my tank thread. :lol:

• Like 6