Pod Your Reef

Are reefers Cliquy?

Pjanssen

2 hours ago, seabass said:

OK, but if you aren't already part of this new clique, then stay the eff out!

:lol:  I couldn't be less serious.

Oh man... I was just about to dive back in on this!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I've been here a long time and I don't remember Kraylon.  Guess I wasn't "In" back then:(. But now B):lol:

I think he may have been banned even before you joined! :lol:

I've got over 2k posts since coming back in Feb...hmmm...:unsure:

• Like 5
29 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

You wouldn't win....

When I read that, in my head I hear,  "you will lose" from Rocky IV 

lol

• Like 6
13 hours ago, seabass said:

That sounds very depressing. :mellow:

Totally agree.

Virtual experience can't compare.

No virtual snorkeling could ever compare to the real experience.

• Like 3
On 7/24/2017 at 4:04 PM, teenyreef said:

Thanks for the recommendation! :blush: I have immense respect for anyone that tries to wade through one of my threads from one end to the other.

It's ironic that I wasn't following this thread, but since @Pjanssen mentioned me, I saw it in my notifications so I knew to come here and read the thread. I'd love to read every new thread but I rarely can. Usually I'm in one of three modes:

1. On vacation, reading every new thread, caught up on all the threads I follow. This happens once or twice a year :wacko:

2. "Normal" mode, which means I barely have time to do water changes, and I'm usually a little slow in responding to comments in my own threads. At most I try to catch up with the threads I follow my liking posts. That way the poster at least know I'm paying attention.

3. "Desired" mode, in which I keep up with, and comment, with the threads that I follow.

I'm not picky about threads that I follow, and I follow every thread I ever comment in. Usually I follow a thread because:

1. Somebody that I'm not already following comments in one of my threads. I try to always visit the tank threads of anyone that comments in my threads, I think that's just common courtesy. But it does help a lot if there's a link to the thread in the signature.

2. Because I get mentioned in a thread (like this one). Again, responding is courteous.

3. I follow many of the TOTM threads, and many of the threads that get a lot of posts, but only if I think there's something of interest to me about the thread. But the bar is set pretty low...do I like the tank, do I like the comments, is there interesting equipment/fish/corals/techniques, etc..

4. If I'm searching for information and that leads me to a thread that's interesting, I'll follow it.

5. Somebody PM's me a with a question. I always ask if they have a tank thread and encourage them to start one. And of course I try to follow and comment.

6. If I see a beginner/new member thread, I try to comment and follow. Unfortunately, I usually only have time for this when I'm in Mode #1 (vacation). :)

If you look at my tank thread for my very first tank, the 4g TOTM tank, I made multiple posts for about a week before anyone ever commented in my thread. I'm always grateful to @tess&ellie for taking the time to give me a little feedback which encouraged me to keep posting. Even so, 90% of the posts in the first month were my own. But there were a couple reefers like @gena, @kylhcky, @cindyp, @ninjamyst, and @DaveFason that commented in that first month. I followed their threads and thanks to their willingness to follow and comment on my tank, I make a special point to keep up with them, just like other old friends like @stellablue and too many others to mention. Btw, @stellablue struggles to keep up sometimes just like me. I can tell when she's caught up in my threads because I get dozens of likes in my notifications :D

My point is that we make friends with each other by reaching out to each other. But we "click" more with some than with others, and of course things change over time. For example, @cindyp is a big-time professional author now and is a little too busy to keep up with N-R. So I guess to that extent, things can be sort of "clique-y", but on the whole I've found N-R to be an amazingly open forum in which the vast majority of members are remarkably willing to take the time to not only answer questions, but to pay attention to what others are doing and offer encouragement.

Now that I've preached this sermon, I'm all re-energized to go visit lots of threads and comment! But first I need to respond to the comments in my own thread. Just as soon as I put in the new microwave over the stove that replaces the one that broke yesterday. Oh dear... :lol:

:flower:

So that's way cool about @cindyp!!!!  Do you guys keep in touch?  Tell her I said hello if you do :D.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

:flower:

So that's way cool about @cindyp!!!!  Do you guys keep in touch?  Tell her I said hello if you do :D.

I'm afraid I haven't heard from her since she stopped posting here on NR, but I follow her on Amazon. When she was on NR I think she was working on her second book, and now she's got five or six published. I'm pretty sure at least one of them won an award, maybe it was a junior literary guild selection or something like that. So we can say we knew her when :)

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'm afraid I haven't heard from her since she stopped posting here on NR, but I follow her on Amazon. When she was on NR I think she was working on her second book, and now she's got five or six published. I'm pretty sure at least one of them won an award, maybe it was a junior literary guild selection or something like that. So we can say we knew her when :)

This is interesting, cause I wanna write a book....

• Like 2