Cultivated Reef

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

1 hour ago, coralcousins said:

Well it's dry rock I added some bottled beneficial bacteria and a pinch of food pellets. Waiting on my test kit to be shipped still.

I'm not a big fan of ghost feeding.  It adds unnecessary organics and nutrients into your water.

I'd rather use ammonia chloride and follow the fishless cycling guide.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

WHY does everybody want to do this? GO AWAY, You're not welcome here! (just kidding) UGH! Just don't do it better than me, okay :P?

Right??

• Like 2
coralcousins
5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

If you're building a stand or have a stand you can put adjustable feet on it.  Our old home was very unlevel and we put feet on our stand to level it out. 

Built the stand yesterday :) this might be perfect. Going to try a couple of things and see how it goes during the leak test. 

• Like 3

Ran into a problem today my floor isn't perfectly level it's tapers down a tad bit towards the wall where I want to place the aquarium. Another spot where I can place it is by my bed about a foot and half away. Since the bed is so low to the ground, now I'm think if there's a large earthquake here in Southern California it might crush me while sleeping lol.  Solutions ?  floor mat underneath the stand ? Putty on one side of the stand so it sits flush with the floor ? 

I used shims on my previous build. 

Also started my reef saver rock from BRS in a bucket yesterday. It has this really weird smell that I've never came across when having tanks back then. Should I dump the salt water and restart it ? 

It's probably ammonia, they are cycling.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Shim the tank on the uneven floor, just be sure to shim along the ENTIRE length of the tank or it will bow and ASPLODEY.

As for the dry rock, go to the Dollar General store and get a new scrub brush and scrub the hell out of that rock to get the dead sponges off it. More than likely that's what you're smelling. I know dry Pukani is filthy with them and you'll end up with algae a go go. After mine soaks for 24 hours, it gets scrubbed.

• Like 4
coralcousins
11 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

As for the dry rock, go to the Dollar General store and get a new scrub brush and scrub the hell out of that rock to get the dead sponges off it. More than likely that's what you're smelling. I know dry Pukani is filthy with them and you'll end up with algae a go go. After mine soaks for 24 hours, it gets scrubbed.

the reef saver rock isn't taken from the ocean so it's really clean nothing on it at all besides the dust it came with. I should have soaked it in the fresh water before :(

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Shim the tank on the uneven floor, just be sure to shim along the ENTIRE length of the tank or it will bow and ASPLODEY.

I had a friend take a pic of the Pukani he got and there was a dehydrated blue linckia on it.......

I soaked mine in vinegar and water for 24 hours then scrubbed it and soaked again before starting the curing process......I actually cured it for 3 months or so in a brute in the garage before adding it to the tank.

The wifes tank I kind of rushed it and well got some good hair algae going........but all is well now.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, coralcousins said:

the reef saver rock isn't taken from the ocean so it's really clean nothing on it at all besides the dust it came with. I should have soaked it in the fresh water before :(

Do you know if it is man made rock or natural rock that has been bleached?

12 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Do you know if it is man made rock or natural rock that has been bleached?

It looks almost like the same stuff Reefcleaners sells. They may even source from the area he does ?

I used Reefcleaners a couple of times and its good rock.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

It looks almost like the same stuff Reefcleaners sells. They may even source from the area he does ?

I used Reefcleaners a couple of times and its good rock.

If its the same as reef cleaners though, I don't think there'd be a smell.  I've never had a smell with any of my reef cleaners rock and I've had 3 or 4 tanks with that.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

If its the same as reef cleaners though, I don't think there'd be a smell.  I've never had a smell with any of my reef cleaners rock and I've had 3 or 4 tanks with that.

Yeah but some peoples sniffers work in weird ways :lol: 

I swear my mom could smell a mouse fart when I was a kid :o 

5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It's mined Florida rock more than likely.

I think so it looks the same to me.

ReefWeeds

Oh man. I'm so trying to avoid the pull to set up another tank. I'm. Failing. Miserably. 

Like @spectra I just took my 10 down. The real question: will el Jeffe seriously go crazy if I set up another tank?!?!

• Like 11
jedimasterben
2 hours ago, stellablue said:

Oh man. I'm so trying to avoid the pull to set up another tank. I'm. Failing. Miserably. 

Like @spectra I just took my 10 down. The real question: will el Jeffe seriously go crazy if I set up another tank?!?!

Only one way to find out! Hop to it! :D

• Like 2
Christopher Marks
3 hours ago, stellablue said:

Tell him the tank is only for the contest, then you've got 100 days to convince him to keep it :lol: 

• Like 9
Mariaface
Just now, HighCurrent said:

Dang it! Built mine too soon!

Take it apart on May 10th and put it right back together :P 

• Like 7
WhiteWulfe
8 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Take it apart on May 10th and put it right back together :P 

Even better idea: either buy a second one to do the piece of paper message.... Or get a waterproof marker and paper.  Or just be silly and write the message on a piece of paper then tape it to the side of the tank or something :P

• Like 4
ReefWeeds
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Tell him the tank is only for the contest, then you've got 100 days to convince him to keep it :lol: 

:lol: I like the way you think! I've been trying to convince him he should do it! He has some more than mild interest - and he can do easier corals. We need a tank for jimmy the royal gramma that was in the 10 gallon ....

• Like 3
6 hours ago, lkoechle said:

soooo who all has rocks?

Mine get delivered on Thursday and will take up residence in the bucket until it's time!  :happydance:

• Like 5
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic