SaltCritters.com

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Your call, but yeah, I'd still put it in for a few days just in case.  He probably won't even use it.  But besides it looking out of place, it won't hurt anything being in there and might just make him feel more comfortable.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

Your call, but yeah, I'd still put it in for a few days just in case.  He probably won't even use it.  But besides it looking out of place, it won't hurt anything being in there and might just make him feel more comfortable.

Okey doke, I'll see if I can dig it out of my Fish Bin in the closet. 

I HAVE A FISHY!!!!

So there's good news and bad news, and the bad news is kinda picky on my part. 

They packaged him really well, sent great instructions for acclimation, and they even included a package of fish food in with him!!!!

His size is good too, larger than the dinky fish I was afraid I'd end up with. 

He's got way more white on him than I expected or what it showed in the pic tho. 

Ah well, we'll adjust to each other. 

The pics I have so far are pretty bad and I stopped taking them cause he seemed kinda freaked out by the camera.

• Like 9
13 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I HAVE A FISHY!!!!

So there's good news and bad news, and the bad news is kinda picky on my part. 

They packaged him really well, sent great instructions for acclimation, and they even included a package of fish food in with him!!!!

His size is good too, larger than the dinky fish I was afraid I'd end up with. 

He's got way more white on him than I expected or what it showed in the pic tho. 

Ah well, we'll adjust to each other. 

The pics I have so far are pretty bad and I stopped taking them cause he seemed kinda freaked out by the camera.

If it's not betta food, it doesn't count. :lol:

Pics pics pics pics! :D

• Like 1

Fishy!!!!

P1060457_zps232pcraa.jpg

P1060459_zpshig1nfgx.jpg

Fishy has been a little more relaxed this morning, seems to be settling in and seems healthy so far. 

All good things. 

Here's why I'm a little frustrated. 

Pictured below is what I ordered, the Sustainable Aquatics Blacker Ice:

2683_zpsdej4wvmj.jpg

What I received doesn't look like an SA Blacker Ice, it has more white on it and looks closer to their pic of either the

SA regular Black Ice, as seen below:

1710_zpsbenq4c99.jpg

Or the SA Iced Mocha:

1703_zpscbbombpi.jpg

Or even the SA Fancy Snowflake- Extreme: 

sa-fancy-snowflake-extreme_zpsvcntgfnc.j

I have massive respect for Sustainable Aquatics, for the pioneering work they've done in captive Clownfish Breeding and developing all of the different Clown types that they have, I love the fact that I got what is obviously a healthy fish, shipped very well and I'm totally impressed that they even went so far as to include fish food specifically for these fish, BUT it looks like they didn't ship me what I ordered. 

One of the things they are known for is the specific pattern variants they've developed and looking at the pics it looks like they shipped me a different type than what I ordered because of how much more white is on it. 

Can you see what I mean?

(the 4 bottom pics are all from their site, showing the Clown types you can order)

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Fishy!!!!

P1060457_zps232pcraa.jpg

P1060459_zpshig1nfgx.jpg

Fishy has been a little more relaxed this morning, seems to be settling in and seems healthy so far. 

All good things. 

Here's why I'm a little frustrated. 

Pictured below is what I ordered, the Sustainable Aquatics Blacker Ice:

2683_zpsdej4wvmj.jpg

What I received doesn't look like an SA Blacker Ice, it has more white on it and looks closer to their pic of either the

SA regular Black Ice, as seen below:

1710_zpsbenq4c99.jpg

Or the SA Iced Mocha:

1703_zpscbbombpi.jpg

Or even the SA Fancy Snowflake- Extreme: 

sa-fancy-snowflake-extreme_zpsvcntgfnc.j

I have massive respect for Sustainable Aquatics, for the pioneering work they've done in captive Clownfish Breeding and developing all of the different Clown types that they have, I love the fact that I got what is obviously a healthy fish, shipped very well and I'm totally impressed that they even went so far as to include fish food specifically for these fish, BUT it looks like they didn't ship me what I ordered. 

One of the things they are known for is the specific pattern variants they've developed and looking at the pics it looks like they shipped me a different type than what I ordered because of how much more white is on it. 

Can you see what I mean?

(the 4 bottom pics are all from their site, showing the Clown types you can order)

Blacker Ice I believe is a varient on the skin tone.  IE less orange more black.  the markings are still a traditional snowflake.  The difference is the coloring of the orange.

also, my blacker ice (or maybe he is black ice I cant remember) is darkening even more as he matures.  so if he isnt as black as you wanted, just give it time.  But I am pretty sure you got what you ordered because it still looks like a snowflake.  Just blacker.  Which is what I have always understood the difference to be.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

so if he isnt as black as you wanted, just give it time. 

This is true, didn't think of that with my earlier reply. My black and white clowns initially had orange faces. The female's orange has faded completely as she's gotten bigger, and the little guy still have the tiniest bit of orange on him. 

• Like 1

My mocha ice (front) anf the black/er ice.  sorry its so blurry.

20170428_094901.jpg

But you can clearly see how Athena is only a little darker on top while Helo is much much darker but they both have the same pattern.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Blacker Ice I believe is a varient on the skin tone.  IE less orange more black.  the markings are still a traditional snowflake.  The difference is the coloring of the orange.

also, my blacker ice (or maybe he is black ice I cant remember) is darkening even more as he matures.  so if he isnt as black as you wanted, just give it time.  But I am pretty sure you got what you ordered because it still looks like a snowflake.  Just blacker.  Which is what I have always understood the difference to be.

The orange sections can get darker over time but my issue (and I think weeties as well) is that there is far more white than what I was expecting. That won't lessen over time, correct?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, calvin said:

The orange sections can get darker over time but my issue (and I think weeties as well) is that there is far more white than what I was expecting. That won't lessen over time, correct?

That's my understanding as well.

12 minutes ago, calvin said:

correct. because its a snowflake. The white pattern is the same in the snowflake/mocha ice/black ice gene pool.  Its the orange that differntiates them from each other.

its more white than the advertised photo, (I thinknits very nice) but not so extreme to not be what was advertised but the order from SA is correct.  IMO.

Just now, calvin said:

Ok lemme get a ruling on this then (sorry for the hijack weets)

Notice only a tiny sliver of a black line behind the head

I say same fish. Yes, the first black stripe is only a tiny sliver, but it's the right color and the stripe is there. 

I was reading some identifying descriptions trying to figure out what morph clown I had and since the stripe is THERE and not BROKEN I'd say same fish in both pics. 

• Like 2

Still a Phantom.  border line extreme.  if the bars run into each other thats extreme.  But yours are still separated. So it still falls into the realm of "normal" phantom.

1 minute ago, seabass said:

It kind of looks like they are trying to make clownfish look like nano orca whales.

Image result for orca whale

black davincis.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, calvin said:

That's it EXACTLY!!

There is FAR more white on the middle part of the body than I was expecting. 

And @calvin, I do think the same is true for you as well. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

He's pretty cute regardless!

He is growing on me a bit, even tho he's just hanging out in the top rear corner of the tank. :lol:

But hey, he's a Clown. 

• Like 2