Top Shelf Aquatics

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Just picked up some frozen Cyclops from the LFS, it's gut loaded with healthy stuff & says it's good for fry, surely that will do the trick. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Just picked up some frozen Cyclops from the LFS, it's gut loaded with healthy stuff & says it's good for fry, surely that will do the trick. 

Good call. I may do the same

7 hours ago, seabass said:

I checked out a pic of one; it IS pretty.

I wouldn't worry too much.  It should be used to prepared foods.  I wonder how young it is.  I think they can be sold as early as 6 months old.

It might still be getting fed a few times a day.  I'd probably try to feed the little guy a little twice a day for awhile.

Mine were super wee lads. They are doing great. And I don't have half the skillz you have.

• Like 1

I'm horrible at "Techy" stuff, so the following is just copied and pasted from a post by @FlowerMama--

I was very saddened to hear of Albert's passing earlier today.    Please click on the FB Fund Me page that one of our NR Admins on the FB NR, Randi Horlick made a while back.   He was in the hospital for close to 2 mos with cancer that metasticized.  His wife also has heart and health issues and they'll have outstanding bills and funeral costs.  Please help her if you can.  If you had earlier, thank you as well.  So glad I was able to get his book as soon as I started this hobby.  Wonderful piece of literature and I love how open he was to helping this site and reefers everywhere.

https://www.gofundme.com/albert-needs-our-help-and-support

Ok, SO, I am preparing for my new teensy baby Blacker Ice Clownfish's arrival today, and I have a question. 

I have one of those Breeder Boxes, very similar to this except mine floats at the top of the water: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14698&cmpid=03cseYY&ref=6194&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6194&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrYbIBRCgnY-OluOk89EBEiQAZER58sdO1Kfz2YHwI7234EBsm6o41mrbTKynCpj6AkEYESIaAhNu8P8HAQ

Should I initially keep him in that for a couple of days so I can monitor his health more closely and be sure he's eating, or should I just let him go in the tank?

No other fish in the tank to bug him, 15g tank. 

I can put a piece of Macro in the breeder if needed so he doesn't feel totally exposed. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ok, SO, I am preparing for my new teensy baby Blacker Ice Clownfish's arrival today, and I have a question. 

I have one of those Breeder Boxes, very similar to this except mine floats at the top of the water: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14698&cmpid=03cseYY&ref=6194&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6194&gclid=Cj0KEQjwrYbIBRCgnY-OluOk89EBEiQAZER58sdO1Kfz2YHwI7234EBsm6o41mrbTKynCpj6AkEYESIaAhNu8P8HAQ

Should I initially keep him in that for a couple of days so I can monitor his health more closely and be sure he's eating, or should I just let him go in the tank?

No other fish in the tank to bug him, 15g tank. 

I can put a piece of Macro in the breeder if needed so he doesn't feel totally exposed. 

I would put him in there for maybe a few hours but not a few days that would most likely just stress him out more. Especially if there aren't other fish I would let him go into the tank, that is always what I have done with my freshwater fish and they were fine. Put them into a small container for a short period to inspect them before letting them go into main tank. That is obviously if you aren't quarantining them

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, money88 said:

I would put him in there for maybe a few hours but not a few days that would most likely just stress him out more. Especially if there aren't other fish I would let him go into the tank, that is always what I have done with my freshwater fish and they were fine. Put them into a small container for a short period to inspect them before letting them go into main tank.

Well, for various reasons he would have to be in it for 1-2 days if I put him in the Breeder box. 

Has to be in or out. 

4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well, for various reasons he would have to be in it for 1-2 days if I put him in the Breeder box. 

Has to be in or out. 

Then without any other fish to bug him I would just put him into the tank right away. The breeder in this case really isn't solving anything since it's not providing quarantine by any sort, the same water is being used so anything the fish has is already in the tank water. Leaving in a breeder box means you would have to either lower light intensity greatly or turn lights off all together to not stress the fish out as well. Also the fish a lot of times is not going to eat right after being put into your tank so give it about 5-10 hours to feel the new tank out before trying to feed. Sometimes they will eat right away it all depends on how well it handled the stress of the whole process. 

• Like 3

I agree with the above. If you want to put him in the breeder just for a bit to look him over at first then cool, but long term he'll be better off in the display. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

what about PE Calanus they are really small.

http://www.mysis.com/about_pe_mysis_products/pe_calanus_frozen/

I would likely have gotten those if my LFS had them, but what I did get, the frozen cyclops, are also really small, so I think they'll work. 

I've considered getting Calanus before though, and still may sometime down the road. 

Thx!!

Do you have a PVC fitting that you can put in your tank for awhile?  Having a hiding place might help him feel more secure.  My 4" angelfish still likes to sleep in a 3" PVC Tee fitting; although she's found a rock formation that works too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Do you have a PVC fitting that you can put in your tank for awhile?  Having a hiding place might help him feel more secure.  My 4" angelfish still likes to sleep in a 3" PVC Tee fitting; although she's found a rock formation that works too.

I think I have a piece somewhere. 

I do have hiding places in the tank, you think I should still put it in?

10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think I have a piece somewhere. 

I do have hiding places in the tank, you think I should still put it in?

As long as there are places for the fish to hide it should be fine without adding it. The good thing is Clowns aren't notorious hiders so hiding spots the first few days will help lower the stress of the fish and raise its comfort level. But overtime as it becomes more comfortable with your routine and its new home it should be just fine. 

• Like 2