Coral Vue Hydros

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Weetabix7
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

The brain looks 'maze-ing!  (see what I did there? :P)

I recollect you saying something about Pinky and the Brain earlier and since your new fish isn't all that bright I thought, hey you could call him Dinky so then you'd have Dinky and the Brain! :lol::rolleyes::slap::D

I LOVE this!!!!!

Dinky it is!!!! :wub:

Oh, btw, thanks @RayWhisperer for the advice about fish roe. :flower:

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I LOVE this!!!!!

Dinky it is!!!! :wub:

Oh, btw, thanks @RayWhisperer for the advice about fish roe. :flower:

Haha I love that you loved my suggestion!  It just kinda popped in my brain. :lol:

Weetabix7

Just made an interesting discovery in the Macro tank. 

Lights haven't come on yet, but sun is shining through, and I noticed an interesting worm that seemed to have it's tail end hooked around some red Macro and holding on for dear life in the current. 

I turned off the 2 in-display pumps and was able to get the following pics. 

It's quite fascinating to watch. 

It's head reminds me quite a bit of some coral polyps, but it's definitely a worm, wiggled around quite well on it's own once I turned the flow down, definite independent movement of the fronds on the head as well as squirming movement of the body. 

Anyone have any idea what it is?

@RayWhisperer, @seabass ?

I suspect it's a hitchhiker type worm that would normally live in the sand or rocks and act as a Detrivore Cleaner.

I currently have it isolated in a net at the top of the tank. 

P1060531_zpsdjk0myew.jpg

P1060529_zpswa80mpnh.jpg

P1060528_zpsqygws8qu.jpg

• Like 8
WV Reefer
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Just made an interesting discovery in the Macro tank. 

Lights haven't come on yet, but sun is shining through, and I noticed an interesting worm that seemed to have it's tail end hooked around some red Macro and holding on for dear life in the current. 

I turned off the 2 in-display pumps and was able to get the following pics. 

It's quite fascinating to watch. 

It's head reminds me quite a bit of some coral polyps, but it's definitely a worm, wiggled around quite well on it's own once I turned the flow down, definite independent movement of the fronds on the head as well as squirming movement of the body. 

Anyone have any idea what it is?

@RayWhisperer, @seabass ?

I suspect it's a hitchhiker type worm that would normally live in the sand or rocks and act as a Detrivore Cleaner.

I currently have it isolated in a net at the top of the tank. 

P1060531_zpsdjk0myew.jpg

P1060529_zpswa80mpnh.jpg

P1060528_zpsqygws8qu.jpg

The body looks peanut worm-ish.  I've never seen mine have a head quite like that...... mine has a feather duster-ish head.  

• Like 1
Weetabix7
38 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah I believe it's likely a synaptid sea cucumber (medussa worm): http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/hitchodds.html

Excellent pictures by the way.

Thanks!!!

10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Are you going to keep it?

I would like to. 

Just figuring the best way to do so. 

Sounds like it's beneficial as long as it doesn't get injured, so working on how to prevent injury.

• Like 2
kimberbee
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thanks!!!

I would like to. 

Just figuring the best way to do so. 

Sounds like it's beneficial as long as it doesn't get injured, so working on how to prevent injury.

My guess is no, but does one chamber have slightly less flow than the others? Sounds like he might do better in a little lower flow area... 

Weetabix7
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My guess is no, but does one chamber have slightly less flow than the others? Sounds like he might do better in a little lower flow area... 

Your guess is correct that the flow is the same in all chambers of the Waterfall. There are lower flow areas in each chamber, but that's it. I considered putting it in the first chamber, cause if it gets caught out in the flow and goes over into the next chamber, no real injury occurs. If it happens again while in middle chamber, it's the same, no injury while overflowing into last chamber. If it goes over from the last chamber to the bottom, it could get sucked into the pump and killed. However, there are no fish in the Waterfall to get killed. From what I read, their toxin from injury only kills fish, not corals, although corals will initially "act weird". 

In the Macro Tank, I will definitely be having fish. 

• Like 1
kimberbee
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If it goes over from the last chamber to the bottom, it could get sucked into the pump and killed.

Could you get some plastic mesh canvas to cut and put in the pump chamber somehow to help keep it out of the pump, just in case?

This stuff

• Like 1
Weetabix7
Just now, kimberbee said:

Could you get some plastic mesh canvas to cut and put in the pump chamber somehow to help keep it out of the pump, just in case?

This stuff

That's a thought. I have a Michael's right around the corner from me.

Only thing is, even if it's only stressed or injured (not killed) it can still release the toxin & I'd think that getting sucked up against the mesh outside the pump would stress it. 

It's not super strong. 

I'm still kinda thinking first chamber of Waterfall is safest.

• Like 3
Weetabix7
6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's a thought. I have a Michael's right around the corner from me.

Only thing is, even if it's only stressed or injured (not killed) it can still release the toxin & I'd think that getting sucked up against the mesh outside the pump would stress it. 

It's not super strong. 

I'm still kinda thinking first chamber of Waterfall is safest.

Y'know, I could just find some really fine mesh at Michaels and as unobtrusively as possible superglue in front of the overflow opening for the first chamber, I bet that'd work. 

• Like 2
Weetabix7
7 minutes ago, gena said:

The brain looks great!  The fishy looks cute :).  Glad he's eating for you now!!!! 

Well..... he sort of is. Mostly not. 

The next day after he ate the Fish Roe, he started doing this thing where he'd greedily go to the surface when he saw me coming with it, then when I put it in he'd just watch it float by. :unsure:

He did that for a couple of days. 

I tried crushed flake and he goes up to it and bumps it with his nose like he's trying to eat, then leaves without eating.

I think he MIGHT have eaten a small amount of frozen cyclopods today. 

I dunno. 

Well..... he sort of is. Mostly not. 

The next day after he ate the Fish Roe, he started doing this thing where he'd greedily go to the surface when he saw me coming with it, then when I put it in he'd just watch it float by. :unsure:

He did that for a couple of days. 

I tried crushed flake and he goes up to it and bumps it with his nose like he's trying to eat, then leaves without eating.

I think he MIGHT have eaten a small amount of frozen cyclopods today. 

I dunno. 

Ugh....so stubborn.  One of my least favorite things to deal with is a fish that won't eat :(.  Do you think turning the flow off would help?

Weetabix7
10 minutes ago, gena said:

Ugh....so stubborn.  One of my least favorite things to deal with is a fish that won't eat :(.  Do you think turning the flow off would help?

I always turn most of the flow off when feeding him, sometimes I even turn all of it off. 

Doesn't seem to make a difference. 

Thx for the suggestion though. 

• Like 1

I always turn most of the flow off when feeding him, sometimes I even turn all of it off. 

Maybe dip the roe in garlic? I know my fishes didnt like NLS pellets I was feeding them so the first couple of weeks I would dip in garlic and they would go crazy. Now they just crazy even without the garlic lol. 

Clowns typically aren't so stubborn with food.  Maybe he still needs more acclimation time....just not comfortable yet in the new home.  He looks healthy so hopefully everything will work out fingerscrossed.

• Like 1

Keep trying.  This fish might have taken it's feeding cues from his brothers.  Without observing the traditional feeding frenzy, it may be a little reluctant to try new foods.

Do any of your local stores sell live brine shrimp?  They are nutritionally poor, but they might help him get used to eating in your tank.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Lol!!

I only have 1 frag that isn't yet spoken for, apparently. 

Hey wait...I know I'm finally getting caught up on this thread but didn't t the line for the Peachy Galaxies start a couple of pages back???  I swear I was second in line behind Lula!!!  Haha!

The brain is looking great and I love love love your fish!

• Like 1
Weetabix7
5 hours ago, seabass said:

Keep trying.  This fish might have taken it's feeding queues from his brothers.  Without observing the traditional feeding frenzy, it may be a little reluctant to try new foods.

Do any of your local stores sell live brine shrimp?  They are nutritionally poor, but they might help him get used to eating in your tank.

No, unfortunately not. Thx for the suggestion though. 

2 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I think fishy needs a cheering section.

Eat, fishy, EAT! Eat, fishy, EAT! fingerscrossed

:wub:

5 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Hey wait...I know I'm finally getting caught up on this thread but didn't t the line for the Peachy Galaxies start a couple of pages back???  I swear I was second in line behind Lula!!!  Haha!

The brain is looking great and I love love love your fish!

Hmm, I need to go back and check cause I didn't realize you were in line.... :unsure::)

The Peachy Galaxy frags are looking great, one has a baby already. 

• Like 3