Cultivated Reef

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

22 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

I am attempting to incorporate macros into my display. Not having the best of luck so far. Notable exception being my halimeda.  I love yer stuff, Weetie.

I have been trying to get my hands on some grape kelp and dragon's breath.

Thanks!!

I am selling red grape kelp right now, also known as red botryocladia. 

I have some dragon's breath but I need to grow it out more. Working on it!!

20 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

My red titan got crushed by my now, fish shopped turbos.

Translation?

Auto-correct playing havoc with you??

My MIL says the strangest things to me thru auto-correct, lol.

Red Titan/Graciliara Hayi is the other Macro I'm selling right now. 

And speaking of that, it's off to the Post office I go, wheeee!!!!!

• Like 1

Hey Guys, guess what, I figured out how to DIY my own insulated shipping pouch!!

I want to make more for future shipments, so I'll try to take pics in case it's something someone else out there can use. 

Ya never know what you'll learn on this thread!! :P

• Like 3

Then, Weetie, you seem to be the person to talk to! I have a passion for all things that grow, and since I have started my tank, I wanted to have as many natural features as possible. Meaning macros, fish and corals all together. Do you have a site? I apologize if you posted it earlier in this thread. I have a gazillion questions!

20 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Then, Weetie, you seem to be the person to talk to! I have a passion for all things that grow, and since I have started my tank, I wanted to have as many natural features as possible. Meaning macros, fish and corals all together. Do you have a site? I apologize if you posted it earlier in this thread. I have a gazillion questions!

Lol, no, it's just me, and I've been doing this for a while. 

You can ask questions here or message me. :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thanks!!

I am selling red grape kelp right now, also known as red botryocladia. 

I have some dragon's breath but I need to grow it out more. Working on it!!

Translation?

Auto-correct playing havoc with you??

My MIL says the strangest things to me thru auto-correct, lol.

Red Titan/Graciliara Hayi is the other Macro I'm selling right now. 

And speaking of that, it's off to the Post office I go, wheeee!!!!!

Translation: my turbo snails ate my red titan.

26 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Translation: my turbo snails ate my red titan.

Hmmm. 

Maybe trade in your Turbos for a different type of snail, like Cerith or Trochus?

I have Cerith, Astrea and Nerite and they don't bother my Macros. 

6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Think you could work macros into the waterfall or is the water flow too strong? 

I actually do have some of the Red Titan/Graciliara Hayi in the first section of the Waterfall. 

It seems to be doing well so far!!

It's color looks darker, like a dark red, under the ABI Tuna Blue bulb.

I have a couple of very small pieces that broke off of larger plants in the last section of the Waterfall. They seem ok, but it's too early to tell if they will thrive. 

• Like 1

I ordered a fishy today, a pretty, pretty fishy. 

This is me giving you fair warning that I get obnoxiously fussy & nervous when I get new fish.

Just humor me, it'll pass in a few days. 

I always feel like I know what I'm doing much better with corals and macroalgae than I do with fish. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is me giving you fair warning that I get obnoxiously fussy & nervous when I get new fish.

I always feel like I know what I'm doing much better with corals and macroalgae than I do with fish. 

Pictus?  Rufus abides(Just humor me and watch the movie, Weetie).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Me too! Over the years I've had worse luck with fish than with corals...:(  Looking forward to the new fish!

I'm excited to see the new fishy.  When I work without a QT tank, new fish always stress me out too (got bit by ich last time I gambled).  Good luck, we're waiting for the pics.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

We're going to breathe in...and out...

In...and out...

OMG...new fishy!!! omgomgomg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Rain24 said:

We're going to breathe in...and out...

In...and out...

OMG...new fishy!!! omgomgomg

In...... and out.....

Ok, breathing.....

(Ummm, is it bad if hubby and the dog look at me funny & run over to help while I'm doing this?? :unsure:)

Thanks, you da best, I'm so glad you're on the Zen Aquarium Bus!!

6 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Pictus?  Rufus abides(Just humor me and watch the movie, Weetie).

Nope, that's still down the road a bit yet. 

But it's on the list!!

I'll get around to the movie eventually. 

Hubby is the Movie Guru in the family, but every once in a while I watch one with him. 

6 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Me too! Over the years I've had worse luck with fish than with corals...:(  Looking forward to the new fish!

I have all of the basic head knowledge about the fish, but I've kept and cared for waaaaay more corals and macroalgae than fish so I still go through the panic stage with every new one. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm excited to see the new fishy.  When I work without a QT tank, new fish always stress me out too (got bit by ich last time I gambled).  Good luck, we're waiting for the pics.

Yeah, I pretty much always work without a quarantine tank, so it always stresses me out. 

On the positive side, I'm getting it from Sustainable Aquatics and they have a 2 week guarantee on all their fish, which helps. 

I'm getting a Captive Bred Blacker Ice Clownfish, which is super pretty, but to keep it affordable I got a small one. 

I didn't realize it til later last night, but their "small" is pretty small, so I'm a bit nervous about getting it to eat initially even though it's a Clown and captive bred at that. 

• Like 2
ReefNewby82

So cool you are going through SA.  We use them quite a bit.  Healthy and beautiful fish.  I have a Fancy long fin coming for my wife's tank tomorrow. She is pretty excited!

The Blacker ice clown has some awesome markings.  They have aquacultured frags now which is pretty cool too.  Have you ever seen branching GSP before weets? 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

So cool you are going through SA.  We use them quite a bit.  Healthy and beautiful fish.  I have a Fancy long fin coming for my wife's tank tomorrow. She is pretty excited!

The Blacker ice clown has some awesome markings.  They have aquacultured frags now which is pretty cool too.  Have you ever seen branching GSP before weets? 

I really like Sustainable Aquatics. 

They are in TN, not far from where I used to live, and I believe they also own my former LFS in E. TN. 

I got my first fish from them, a Clown that was purchased at the 2nd Frag Swap I set up at. 

Your wife and I are getting our SA Clowns on the same day!!! omgomgomg

It's funny, they have SO many pretty Clowns, I actually had a list of 10 different ones & I had to narrow it down from there. 

I really loved how beautiful the Spotcinctus Clowns were in jstuver's tank and it was super close between Spotcinctus & Blacker Ice, but the Blacker Ice won out in the end. 

For anyone wanting to take a look at Sustainable Aquatics, here's a link to the shopping list I picked from, if you hover over the camera icon you can see a pic of the fish: http://www.coralreeftn.com/shop.php

I have never seen branching GSP in person, but I've seen it in pics and I like how it looks. 

Wouldn't mind getting some at some point. 

Do you have it in your tank?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Blacker Ice Clownfish!!

Sounds awesome! Going to go take a look at those.

Getting fish makes me nervous too! 

If you look on the SA link I posted above, look at the categories in the left column. They are in the category just labeled "clownfish", they're about 1/4 of the way down the page, says SA Blacker Ice SMALL- Spring Sale!

The Spotcinctus are the first fish listed in that same "clownfish" category. I believe Spotcinctus tend to get more black marking on their fins and tale as they mature, which makes them look even more dramatic. 

I checked out a pic of one; it IS pretty.

I wouldn't worry too much.  It should be used to prepared foods.  I wonder how young it is.  I think they can be sold as early as 6 months old.

It might still be getting fed a few times a day.  I'd probably try to feed the little guy a little twice a day for awhile.

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Don't have any branching GSP in ours at home but ordered a few.  Really cool if it stays that way.  I'll probably try to rid jenn's tank of her GSP rock and then get a frag of it later.  

That's pretty cool you're getting fish the same day!  She started jumping up and down yelling fancy fin fancy fin lol when I told her about it.  She wants a pygmy cherub angel so that will be her last one.  

Make sure to post a pic of your new fishy!   

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

I checked out a pic of one; it IS pretty.

I wouldn't worry too much.  It should be used to prepared foods.  I wonder how young it is.  I think they can be sold as early as 6 months old.

It might still be getting fed a few times a day.  I'd probably try to feed the little guy a little twice a day for awhile.

Thanks for the input!!

I don't mind feeding it twice a day at all, I actually need more fish poop in the tank for all the Macroalgae. :lol:

I'm wondering if I need to get some kinda special, smaller sized food tho. 

I currently have Betta food and frozen Mysis on hand, lol. 

1 minute ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Don't have any branching GSP in ours at home but ordered a few.  Really cool if it stays that way.  I'll probably try to rid jenn's tank of her GSP rock and then get a frag of it later.  

That's pretty cool you're getting fish the same day!  She started jumping up and down yelling fancy fin fancy fin lol when I told her about it.  She wants a pygmy cherub angel so that will be her last one.  

Make sure to post a pic of your new fishy!   

Funny!!

A Pygmy Angel is on my shopping list to get too, but not sure what kind yet. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm wondering if I need to get some kinda special, smaller sized food tho. 

I currently have Betta food and frozen Mysis on hand, lol. 

I was really worried with my PSW, because I'm sure the one I had last year died because it wasn't getting enough food. I feed frozen brine, mysis, or bloodworms, but I find if I take the syringe for food and suck up the food then squirt it back out into the container with a bit of force a couple of times, it helps break the bigger pieces of mysis up a bit... if that makes sense? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I was really worried with my PSW, because I'm sure the one I had last year died because it wasn't getting enough food. I feed frozen brine, mysis, or bloodworms, but I find if I take the syringe for food and suck up the food then squirt it back out into the container with a bit of force a couple of times, it helps break the bigger pieces of mysis up a bit... if that makes sense? 

It makes complete sense, thanks for that!!

I'm gonna stop by the LFS today & see what kind of fish food they have on hand, and am looking on the BRS site too. 

• Like 1