Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Thanks so much!!

In the beginning I wasn't really sure if the reality would be as cool as the vision I had in my head, and honestly it's still too early to tell that, but I can say that I have really been enjoying this one so far. 

In fact, it's been quite a while since I've enjoyed Reefing this much. 

Well thats all that counts!

• Like 1

The Maze Brain was looking even worse this morning, in fact it was looking pretty bad. 

I feared that it was close to melting away completely & I didn't want to take the risk of it doing that in the Waterfall & crashing the entire system, especially since it's so small so I did another lugol's dip on it and began acclimating it to my other fairly basic setup that the Maxi Mini has been put in. 

This is what it looked like in the dip cup:

P1060326_zpsc9sqing2.jpg

And in the bag while acclimating to the other tank: 

P1060327_zpsa2cewzmn.jpg

It still has some tissue, but you can see that it's not pretty. 

While I had it acclimating I decided to go ahead and do an approx 50% WC as a preventative measure. 

While I was doing that, I went ahead and checked the SG in the system and was shocked to find it at 1.027!!! 

WTH??? :o

I regularly keep it at 1.025 & had checked it only a couple days earlier. 

O-kaaaay, time to check the premade water I had on hand from the LFS..... 1.027 in 2 containers and 1.028 in one!!!! Aaaargh!!! :rant:

I had been using premade water from this store for over a year w/no problems, worked great the entire time. 

As a result, I didn't check the SG before I did the WC the other day & I'm pretty sure this was the source of the problems w/the Brain. 

The tank had been at it's usual 1.025 & I did a 100% WC with water that was at 1.027. Oy. 

It's actually quite surprising to me that I didn't see significant stress from the other system inhabitants. 

I got the system water down to 1.026 today and will move it back down to it's regular 1.025 tomorrow. 

I still hold out some hope for the Brain. 

While it looks bad, the mouths are still there & some of the remaining tissue is puffing back up just a teensy bit right now. 

If I'm able to, I'll try feeding it in a couple of days & hope that I can bring it back w/regular feedings. 

Ugh! I hate when stuff like that happens!

I bought natural seawater when I first started in saltwater, as I had no idea how to mix salt. The water turned out to be around 1.029, and I didn't notice till the tank had cycled and I had gotten my entire CUC and a few corals. Surprisingly enough, everything was okay...

Hope it improves!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

The Maze Brain was looking even worse this morning, in fact it was looking pretty bad. 

I feared that it was close to melting away completely & I didn't want to take the risk of it doing that in the Waterfall & crashing the entire system, especially since it's so small so I did another lugol's dip on it and began acclimating it to my other fairly basic setup that the Maxi Mini has been put in. 

This is what it looked like in the dip cup:

P1060326_zpsc9sqing2.jpg

And in the bag while acclimating to the other tank: 

P1060327_zpsa2cewzmn.jpg

It still has some tissue, but you can see that it's not pretty. 

While I had it acclimating I decided to go ahead and do an approx 50% WC as a preventative measure. 

While I was doing that, I went ahead and checked the SG in the system and was shocked to find it at 1.027!!! 

WTH??? :o

I regularly keep it at 1.025 & had checked it only a couple days earlier. 

O-kaaaay, time to check the premade water I had on hand from the LFS..... 1.027 in 2 containers and 1.028 in one!!!! Aaaargh!!! :rant:

I had been using premade water from this store for over a year w/no problems, worked great the entire time. 

As a result, I didn't check the SG before I did the WC the other day & I'm pretty sure this was the source of the problems w/the Brain. 

The tank had been at it's usual 1.025 & I did a 100% WC with water that was at 1.027. Oy. 

It's actually quite surprising to me that I didn't see significant stress from the other system inhabitants. 

I got the system water down to 1.026 today and will move it back down to it's regular 1.025 tomorrow. 

I still hold out some hope for the Brain. 

While it looks bad, the mouths are still there & some of the remaining tissue is puffing back up just a teensy bit right now. 

If I'm able to, I'll try feeding it in a couple of days & hope that I can bring it back w/regular feedings. 

Eeep!  Hope the brain pulls through! :(

• Like 2

I hope that maze brain coral recovers.  I'm not sure if salinity swing is necessarily the culprit, but it might be a contributing factor.  Then again given the small water volume it might be.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

I hope that maze brain coral recovers.  I'm not sure if salinity swing is necessarily the culprit, but it might be a contributing factor.  Then again given the small water volume it might be.

I think in a standard nano tank scenario it might not necessarily have been, BUT when there is a 100% WC in a Pico with water that is .002 higher in SG and there's no acclimation, it's a different story. 

• Like 1

Crossing my fingers for the maze brain! 

What at is it with the premixed water lately at the LFSs? I got a free refill since my last 10 gallons were so off. This batch was 1.023 and she had to toss in more salt to bring it up.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Crossing my fingers for the maze brain! 

What at is it with the premixed water lately at the LFSs? I got a free refill since my last 10 gallons were so off. This batch was 1.023 and she had to toss in more salt to bring it up.

I dunno, but I'm definitely checking all the water I get from them now!!

Maze Brain looks slightly better today. 

I talked the LFS into selling me a few loose Sexy Peach Galaxies Palys, I wanna see if I can grow 'em like crazy & share the love with N-R. :happydance:

• Like 3

Sexy Peach Galaxies Palys sound AMAZING! Although I have to admit, I have been slightly scared of keeping palys because of the toxins. I just don't know how to handle them yet.

Oh, pics of these beauties when you get a chance, please!

Dang, sorry to hear about the brain. I make my own salt water, and I have to check saliniy in every batch because even when using the same amount of salt and water it can be off just a bit. 

You could probably feed it a little coral food right away even while it's not recovered enough to eat bigger chunks of food. I think of it like eating soup when you can't eat solid food :)

32 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Dang, sorry to hear about the brain. I make my own salt water, and I have to check saliniy in every batch because even when using the same amount of salt and water it can be off just a bit. 

You could probably feed it a little coral food right away even while it's not recovered enough to eat bigger chunks of food. I think of it like eating soup when you can't eat solid food :)

Keeping that in mind, I'll start watching for even a little sign of feeder tentacles tonight. Thx!!

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

What on earth is a sexy peach galaxy paly?  I need pics when they are open! :P

Ok, so imagine a large paly whose face looks like you are looking out into a velvety starry galaxy, except in this case the sky is chocolate colored and it looks like you took gold dusted peachy stars and splashed them all over it. Very pretty. 

Pichurs will be forthcoming, hopefully tomorrow!!

4 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Sexy Peach Galaxies Palys sound AMAZING! Although I have to admit, I have been slightly scared of keeping palys because of the toxins. I just don't know how to handle them yet.

Oh, pics of these beauties when you get a chance, please!

Y'know, I think you should be careful not to squeeze Paly juice in yer eye, but aside from that I've been handling Palys for ages with my bare hands with no ill effects. :shrug:

• Like 3

I'm guessing the Sexy Peach Galaxies Palys will be checking in to the penthouse suite with the other palys and RFA??  Can't wait to see them.

Sorry about the Maze Brain. Get well soon!  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, calvin said:

y u no mix your own?

When I initially got back in with the 4g Pico over a year ago, it was initially for budget reasons & also cause I don't think I was completely sure I was all the way ready to jump back in. 

Then it just worked well for me, so I continued doing it for convenience sake. 

• Like 1

Hmm, have you contacted them yet?
I have checked the premade water a few times, but I sort of thought it would be trustworthy and (nearly) the same every time!

I do love your tank though, how big is it in total? (or have I missed that info somewhere in the past 15 pages)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Hmm, have you contacted them yet?
I have checked the premade water a few times, but I sort of thought it would be trustworthy and (nearly) the same every time!

I do love your tank though, how big is it in total? (or have I missed that info somewhere in the past 15 pages)

Yeah, I told them when I went by yesterday. I haven't yet checked the water I got from them yesterday, but the woman who checked me out said she had checked it just before she filled the containers. She looked surprised when I told her. 

Glad you like the Waterfall, thanks!! It's around 1.7 gallons, or 6.5 liters. 

45 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

How is the brain doing? Were you able to feed it?

The remaining tissue is puffing up better today. 

Lights aren't on yet, but will be soon, will be interesting to see how it responds to that after 2 days lights out. 

Never saw feeder tentacles last night. 

The only food I have (and am likely to have) for a bit is frozen mysis, but there are some smaller pieces when I melt some of the cube. 

Maybe I can use one of those isolation cups to help it with eating, need to think on that. 

• Like 6

Okay, as promised, I have a pic of the Sexy Peach Galaxy Palys. 

I think they look better in real life, but this is the best pic I have so far. 

As you can see, an aiptasia managed to hitchhike in on the stalk of one of the Palys, so I will work on a way to kill it with extreme prejudice without hurting the Paly. 

e141a47c-8200-4f4e-a196-454446c6fc6b_zps

• Like 12
HammerLover
51 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

As you can see, an aiptasia managed to hitchhike in on the stalk of one of the Palys, so I will work on a way to kill it with extreme prejudice without hurting the Paly. 

Those are awesome! You can probably inject the aiptasia with something like Joe's juice to kill it.

Reefjar uses h2o2 to zap and burn them! :lol:

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Those are, indeed, very sexy! :wub:

Can I put myself on the list for a frag when they are done achieving world waterfall domination? :lol:  Minus the aptasia, of course. :P

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Those are, indeed, very sexy! :wub:

Can I put myself on the list for a frag when they are done achieving world waterfall domination? :lol:  Minus the aptasia, of course. :P

Yes, yes you can!!

Just now, SeaFurn said:

^

Me too! Me too! And I promise I won't hold you accountable if I get paly juice in my eye and die!

How could I possibly pass up an offer like that, consider yourself second on the list!! :lol:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

^

Me too! Me too! And I promise I won't hold you accountable if I get paly juice in my eye and die!

:lol:

Fortunately for me, I wear glasses...sort of built-in protection? :P

• Like 2