Pod Your Reef

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

Christopher Marks

I bet you could silicone a little plastic screen partition into the base and run a little submersible LED light to create a cheato reactor chamber, keeping it contained. It might become a hassle to trim back all the time though!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

I bet you could silicone a little plastic screen partition into the base and run a little submersible LED light to create a cheato reactor chamber, keeping it contained. It might become a hassle to trim back all the time though!

Yep, I think it'd be very easy & quick to do. 

I don't think trimming back would be difficult cause access to it is fairly easy. 

Just turn off power and lift the first compartment up. It's small enough that that's just not a big deal. 

That's what I love about this thing, most things are just not a big deal!!

• Like 2

I'd be a copy cat and to a mini-maxi in one with a couple sexies, mushrooms and a hermit in another, and then a macro forest with bumbebees in the last. 

If an ATO fits (which I found a video of it online and it looks like it would) I wouldn't have to wait for November after our week long vacation!! ;)

http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPAT-vi.html

I don't even see the dimensions of it listed... But it is about the size of a penny, maybe an inch thick?

WAIT??? It's been discontinued?!?!?!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'd be a copy cat and to a mini-maxi in one with a couple sexies, mushrooms and a hermit in another, and then a macro forest with bumbebees in the last. 

If an ATO fits (which I found a video of it online and it looks like it would) I wouldn't have to wait for November after our week long vacation!! ;)

http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPAT-vi.html

I don't even see the dimensions of it listed... But it is about the size of a penny, maybe an inch thick?

Well that's a bummer. You should look around for a used one, maybe ask the Peeps on here. 

Too bad you're not ready for the anemone now, I'm gonna sell my Maxi-Mini.

Also, I have an extra used Refractometer I'm selling for $20, if anyone in here wants it let me know before I list it in Classified. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well that's a bummer. You should look around for a used one, maybe ask the Peeps on here. 

Too bad you're not ready for the anemone now, I'm gonna sell my Maxi-Mini.

Well, I do have the micro in my IM 10 so I could switch it over if I really wanted to, I'd just have to buy a replacement. Also, looks like there might be a few available from various vendors on Amazon still left.

How much space do you need on a table? I'd have to find somewhere to put it. And then convince Nick to let me add another tank somewhere ;)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Well, I do have the micro in my IM 10 so I could switch it over if I really wanted to, I'd just have to buy a replacement. Also, looks like there might be a few available from various vendors on Amazon still left.

How much space do you need on a table? I'd have to find somewhere to put it. And then convince Nick to let me add another tank somewhere ;)

You need a space 16" by 13" to hold both the tank and the lamp next to it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Not really, just a new part number, and Marine Depot has the old one under "Autoaqua" and the new one under "Auto Aqua". http://www.marinedepot.com/Auto_Aqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12118-FIDPAT-vi.html

• Like 3

So guess what I did today??

I took lotsa pics!!

I did a WC yesterday & the entire Waterfall was looking super happy today, so I busted out the camera and just clicky-clicked away. 

Spent lotsa time messing w/Snapseed on laptop & still haven't quite gotten it (much harder than on phone, not intuitive), BUT

I did learn that if I angle the LED bulb slightly away so that it's providing ambient lighting in the pics rather than direct, I get much better pics!! :happydance:

Hopefully these will help you to See into my lil unconventional Pico a little better. 

Starting things off, we have a topdown FWS:

0dbb9030-f590-4084-8de5-1b2aa59a9872_zps

Next I have a closer in shot in the first Waterfall Room. The RFA is so pretty and vibrant that it always steals the show, but the Palys, although understated, are pretty neat as well. They're sort of an Irridescent Camo color with kind of a pearly shading into different colors. It's a really hard effect to capture in a photo and I haven't quite managed it yet, but I'll keep trying. 

For today, here's the best shot I have of that:

00582789-840a-445f-aedd-e77866364ca9_zps

• Like 9

Looks great!

Can't believe that you're the first to do this... now that someone has done it, it really does seem like the perfect little set up!

• Like 1

Moving on in our Tour, we have a topdown of the middle Waterfall Suite, nicely showing off the newly added Red Monti Cap at the top:

00ea1fdf-5246-490f-930f-a86beaa8332d_zps

Last night a few hrs after lights out I saw some kinda worm emerging out of the rock a bit below the Monti Cap & looking around. Maybe some kind of Peanut Worm? Not sure yet. I love the great coralline coverage on that rock. 

Zooming in a little closer for a nice view of the Splattered War Coral and my lovely GSP carpet:

3115f969-17cd-425c-bd7e-3458f6e41d6a_zps

@Lula_Mae, @themummra, that's the same GSP you have in your tanks now!!

Zooming in for a closer view of Softie Canyon here: 

e2a77da7-5796-4a6a-a338-cf3035dda452_zps

The polyps on the left are what I used to call Encrusting Green Gorgonian in my tanks a few years back. They're kinda like a much more delicate looking GSP, and although you can't see the color as well in this pic, the feathery fronds are all outlined in green. A new baby polyp of these has grown in the last few days, you can see it at the top if you look real close. 

• Like 8

Time for the last stop of the Tour. 

I had a bit of a Mishap during WC yesterday with the Frogspawn frag in here. 

I dropped it. 

Yep, totally slipped through my fingers, had a bit of an impact that severed a few tentacles. 

I might also have "EEEEP'ed" loudly. 

Did a quick & simple lugol's dip on the frag before putting it back in the Pico, and you'd never guess it got hurt to look at it today:

1044018d-75f1-4bf0-a2bf-fa95325f39c9_zps

My pretty Orange Yuma is one of the things I haven't been adequately able to show off yet. It's actually a much brighter orange than you see here, but this is the best pic I've gotten of it yet:

fbe88d27-c8fb-4bd5-b408-02109c450593_zps

And finally, a topdown of the whole room:

5659d85f-4d65-451f-9433-83cb592c2673_zps

@gena, the Maze Brain in the bottom left is the one I was telling you about. I'll work on getting a pic that shows it off better, it has a really intense Chocolate-Chip Mint coloration. Also has reaaaalllly long sweeper tentacles. There's a reason I have that rock in between it and the Yuma!!

That's it for now Folks, hope you've enjoyed the show!!! :happy:

On 4/3/2017 at 9:33 AM, debbeach13 said:

I hope you are feeling better. Take care of yourself. We love pictures but they can wait.

You're so sweet. The wait was a bit longer than I expected (I'm so bad about that!!), but I finally got some!!

13 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am sorry to hear that you have been sick but glad that you're on the mend now.  I will anxiously await those pics when you are up to it.

Finally got some up, hope you like 'em!!

• Like 11

So apparently this is the week of Trial by Fire for all inhabitants in Suite 3. 

First I dropped the Frogspawn during WC, yay for happy recovery. 

This morning when I checked the tank, I found the Maze Brain looking unhappy with a giant blob of whitish, clear mucous coming off of it. 

Did a lugol's dip on it. 

Still has some small streams of mucous coming off it, but there's no tissue loss. 

I think I'll keep the lights low in that room today. 

My best immediate guess is that the Monti Cap maybe slimed last night and when the flow carried the slime off it landed on the Maze Brain, which is in the direct path of downstream flow, even tho it's in a separate compartment. 

When I went to bed last night, that Brain was fully open with tons of feeder tentacles extended & obviously healthy. 

The Yuma that's in the same room was closed up super tight last night tho, and I don't think I've ever seen it do that before. It's wide open & happy this morning. 

I'm not deeply worried about the Maze cause it doesn't look like it's dying. 

It mostly looks super ticked off, like you'd expect it to look after fragging or something similar. 

I mostly want to restore it to health & figure out the mystery. 

Guess we'll see!!

13 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks for the tour Weetie!  So freakin cool! I can't even pick a fav room.  Your photos are looking great too.  

Hooray, I FINALLY got decent pics, thanks!!!

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Love the waterfall tour!  My GSP has been all open for a couple of days now. :happydance:

Thanks much, dear!!! It's a really good sign that the GSP is staying open like that, hooray for good news!!!

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice job! It's really coming along nicely. That brain coral is really cool, I hope you're able to keep it under control :)

Thanks teeny!! As you can see from recent post, something is clearly working on the Brain..... :mellow:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Looks great!

Can't believe that you're the first to do this... now that someone has done it, it really does seem like the perfect little set up!

Thanks LK!!!

I will likely never be that person who does high tech, fully automated setups with fancy equipment & high end corals, but I do tend to come up quirky & somewhat "outside the box" approaches at times. It's just the way my brain works, I think. Keeps things interesting. ;)

This hobby really keeps us on our toes doesn't it. Some days every thing is looking and acting great. Then the next day some thing is off. Some times you can see or at least make an educated guess at what's up. Some times not so much. I am glad you have an idea what happened and can take action to help the brain stay healthy. Good luck. Thanks for the pictures they are looking better all the time.

• Like 1

I am in love with this waterfall pico! :wub:

My favorite room is probably the one with the frogspawn and the yuma, but only by a hair. Everything looks so good! Love the way that new light looks over your setup! I haven't ordered one since I don't seem to have much room around my old BC14 stand to clamp it on to. I think at best I have 3/4" maaaaybe on the back. It looks like it works great over your pico.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Maybe run a little carbon to cut back on coral warfare? 

Agreed, it's a good time to start doing that. 

The Brain is looking a little better!! :happy:

1 hour ago, Rain24 said:

I am in love with this waterfall pico! :wub:

My favorite room is probably the one with the frogspawn and the yuma, but only by a hair. Everything looks so good! Love the way that new light looks over your setup! I haven't ordered one since I don't seem to have much room around my old BC14 stand to clamp it on to. I think at best I have 3/4" maaaaybe on the back. It looks like it works great over your pico.

Thanks Rain!!

My lamp actually isn't a clamp on one, it's one with a normal lamp base that is freestanding, and I just set it right next to the Waterfall. 

• Like 1

Maintaining a pico really teaches us patience & gives us a true sense of frailty. The biggest advice I can give you, is that which is also the most basic & simplistic. Water changes!

Running carbon will help, but imho is a Band-Aid. Don't be afraid to do more water changes. 2x a week on both of my picos made such a difference, that I eventually ran nothing in the filter at all. 

18 minutes ago, JBM said:

Maintaining a pico really teaches us patience & gives us a true sense of frailty. The biggest advice I can give you, is that which is also the most basic & simplistic. Water changes!

Running carbon will help, but imho is a Band-Aid. Don't be afraid to do more water changes. 2x a week on both of my picos made such a difference, that I eventually ran nothing in the filter at all. 

Well, I'm doing a 100% Water Change once a week. You honestly think it needs more than that?

8 minutes ago, jstuver said:

This is going to be so cool once they all take off and grow! Love this idea its so unique!

Thanks so much!!

In the beginning I wasn't really sure if the reality would be as cool as the vision I had in my head, and honestly it's still too early to tell that, but I can say that I have really been enjoying this one so far. 

In fact, it's been quite a while since I've enjoyed Reefing this much. 

• Like 1