Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

49 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I hope you are feeling better. Take care of yourself. We love pictures but they can wait.

Yesterday was pretty awful, but feeling better today, thanks. 

Hubby set things up for me so I could edit with snapseed on a laptop last night, and I have a few regular camera pics I can try editing in there, hopefully today!

• Like 4
HammerLover

All that shrimp post (plus seeing El Fab's pico reef journal) finally made me decide to buy a 5 gallon AIO tank (3.5 gal DT 1.5 gal sump)

I took Sandeep's idea of having a sump at the side where I can place some medias/macros. 

BTW those bumblebee shrimps look stunning! I saw them one time in our LFS for sale (its only sold for 50 pesos = $1) and Im hesitant to get it because I thought its not reef safe so I got the glass peacock shrimps instead. Too bad when O came back tomorrow they are all gone :(

those corals look nice Weetie! What lights do you use to light your entire system? Im curious lol :P 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, HammerLover said:

All that shrimp post (plus seeing El Fab's pico reef journal) finally made me decide to buy a 5 gallon AIO tank (3.5 gal DT 1.5 gal sump)

I took Sandeep's idea of having a sump at the side where I can place some medias/macros. 

BTW those bumblebee shrimps look stunning! I saw them one time in our LFS for sale (its only sold for 50 pesos = $1) and Im hesitant to get it because I thought its not reef safe so I got the glass peacock shrimps instead. Too bad when O came back tomorrow they are all gone :(

those corals look nice Weetie! What lights do you use to light your entire system? Im curious lol :P 

Oooh, that's so exciting!! I can't wait to see what you do with it. 

I'm lucky to be able to call El Fab a friend in real life, he's a great guy as well as a great Reefer. 

Thanks for letting me know that about the Bumblebee Shrimp, I've never actually seen one in real life. I have it set up so that KP Aquatics will email me when they get one in. 

I'm actually using a combination of 2 kinds of lighting. I deliberately set the Waterfall Pico right next to a window that gets strong sunshine, and then I also have an ABI Tuna Blue over it in an Architect's Lamp. 

So far, that's working pretty well for me. I haven't had any pest algae outbreaks and what algae I do see I've been able to get of of the sides with nothing but a toothbrush, and once used some peroxide on a rock. I have some pods in there that like to munch on algae as well, I've seen them clean off areas overnight. 

• Like 5
HammerLover
6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oooh, that's so exciting!! I can't wait to see what you do with it. 

I'm lucky to be able to call El Fab a friend in real life, he's a great guy as well as a great Reefer. 

Thanks for letting me know that about the Bumblebee Shrimp, I've never actually seen one in real life. I have it set up so that KP Aquatics will email me when they get one in. 

I'm actually using a combination of 2 kinds of lighting. I deliberately set the Waterfall Pico right next to a window that gets strong sunshine, and then I also have an ABI Tuna Blue over it in an Architect's Lamp. 

So far, that's working pretty well for me. I haven't had any pest algae outbreaks and what algae I do see I've been able to get of of the sides with nothing but a toothbrush, and once used some peroxide on a rock. I have some pods in there that like to munch on algae as well, I've seen them clean off areas overnight. 

Oh so you're using the ABI tuna bulb. Maritza uses that in all her setups. Sunshine seems to keep my corals much happier, specially in afternoons where the sun can get quite bright. Ive noticed intense polyp extensions in my LPS.

Since Im starting my 5 gal pico reef  this weekend (I actually went to the workshop of aquariums here to show them the layout, and I'll pick It up at Sunday once its done) I may start to make a thread about it :D unfortunately Im still deciding if I should continue my jar reef or move my corals to the new pico once its cycled and ready (Im just a broke college reefer, and funds an be quite tough -_- )

Still Im planning on keeping it simple and easy like my jar reef. But Ill stock it with shrimps like sexies or perhaps a small cleaner. I can never stock shrimps in my jar reef since they irritate the corals so much.

btw what medias do you use in your setup? Im thinking of using foam and seachem matrix

• Like 1
On 4/2/2017 at 1:50 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Thanks for stopping by!!

I think what you're looking at (last section?) is actually a Maze Brain frag, although I can see how it would look like Blastos. 

I've actually completely rearranged the middle and last section since that pic and added a nice Red Monti Cap to the middle yesterday. 

As usual, need to work on pics, just got really sick today. 

Yep, last section.  Totally looks like blastos :).  Hope you are feeling even better today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Yep, last section.  Totally looks like blastos :).  Hope you are feeling even better today.

Still sick, but better than it was. 

Welp, this has been going around and I guess it was my turn, my Maxi-Mini Anemone has gone walkabout. 

It has climbed up the side of the compartment to the water line at the top and is inching it's way towards the overflow. 

This could get interesting. <_<

See @J-Ranko, you're not the only one!!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Thanks much, glad you found your way over here!!

Oh I have been everywhere the last few weeks! I am either working on my tank, or reading about all other people's pretty tanks!!! 

I might have been caught in an starting NR addiction... whoops.. 

• Like 3
On 2/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I had been waffling over the idea of starting a new tank over the last few days, when completely out of the blue my son loudly galomphed into the room, looked me in the eye and said, "Just do it!", and ran back out. 

Ok Universe, I hear ya. :blush:

I will be approaching this very differently from previous tanks I've done. 

In the past, I have started tanks with a very specific idea of what I wanted to create, proceeded with the plan, run into obstacles, done everything I could to MAKE that tank vision a reality in spite of the obstacles, then given up in frustration when I was unable to do so. 

I've had a lot of life lessons thrown at me since my last tank. I am currently in the midst of learning to pay attention to & trust what God/Life/the Universe (hereafter to be called GLU) brings to me and to follow where it leads me, as opposed to trying to MAKE things happen according to my ideas of how they should be. 

So..... I have a few very basic things I am starting with, and I am simply going to take one step forward at a time and see what I can create as I do so. I have no idea what the end picture will be, probably something completely unexpected, but I am betting it will be pretty cool. 

I will take a low tech, natural approach cause that is what I really enjoy. The rest is pretty open. 

I currently have a 4g tank that is VERY basic and low tech and has been stable for a year in spite of extremely minimal maintenance. As in, it has a damsel that is fed Betta food when I remember, I can't remember the last time I scraped algae and the WC I did yesterday is the first I've done in several months. But it's healthy. 

I have several powerheads. I have a T5HO fixture that would fit over a 10g or 15g tank, but could really use at least 2 new bulbs, if not all 4 replaced. I have mebbe a pound of dry rock. 

Sometime over the next couple of days I will start a For Sale thread in Classified to try to raise money for the next step. I have some powerheads, some plumbing parts, some frag plugs, as well as a few more fun & unique packages I plan to offer. Keep an eye out for that, I will post a link to it on this thread as well once it's up. What I do next will depend on how much I am able to raise from that sale. 

Thread: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/380517-weeties-return-from-the-dead-dry-goods-sale/

So.... this should be an interesting ride, but I'm excited to see where it goes!! Grab a fresh drink & some snacks, hop on the bus, and let's see what we can create!!

What size lights do you need for this because I just bought a new T5 light and not using it any more I would have no problem just giving it to you.  

38 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

What size lights do you need for this because I just bought a new T5 light and not using it any more I would have no problem just giving it to you.  

That's really generous, but why wouldn't you use the T5 over the tank you have?

It means a lot to me that you would even think to offer, but the truth is that I have an old 24" T5HO fixture as well as a 36" T5HO retro (would need to be DIY'ed in a canopy). They just need new bulbs, all the bulbs are old. 

T5HO lights is great, has always been a favorite of mine. 

Thanks so much for even making the offer in the first place. :flower:

On 4/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Welp, this has been going around and I guess it was my turn, my Maxi-Mini Anemone has gone walkabout. 

It has climbed up the side of the compartment to the water line at the top and is inching it's way towards the overflow. 

umm hello :D i had 3 large rainbow mini maxis decide to take a hike around my 30 so i definitely get where you're coming from :P and I hope you're feeling better as well :)

• Like 1
On 4/5/2017 at 10:31 AM, Weetabix7 said:

I can't imagine it could climb over the wall and go into the other compartment?  :scarry:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

I can't imagine it could climb over the wall and go into the other compartment?  :scarry:

Probably not, but if it did you'd be famous!

I am sorry to hear that you have been sick but glad that you're on the mend now.  I will anxiously await those pics when you are up to it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Efforts were made.... <_<

7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Probably not, but if it did you'd be famous!

So, what exactly comes in the package with all this newfound fame? :P

Cause I need a Sponsor for this Amazing never-been-done-before Build I have in my head that is ridiculously simple but incorporates separate areas for Reef, Macro Forest & fish you never see in a Reef Tank. Also sumpless. 

0d348c2d-5b0d-4491-b047-b6c8b82e43a8_zps

• Like 9

I added a pretty, red Monti Cap frag to the Waterfall a few days ago. 

Here's a pic of it in the dipping bowl under sunlight:

1f9fa794-c56b-4cc2-9bd5-3ea41e6fa64d_zps

And a FWS (full Waterfall shot)

P1060261_zpsj2giznjg.jpg

• Like 10

Things have actually changed again since that last pic, but I am still working on getting edited photos of that. 

To do Snapseed on a laptop I have to use a separate program to launch it and I'm figuring out how that works. 

Also, I may possibly have ordered some exciting things last night....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Things have actually changed again since that last pic, but I am still working on getting edited photos of that. 

To do Snapseed on a laptop I have to use a separate program to launch it and I'm figuring out how that works. 

Also, I may possibly have ordered some exciting things last night....

:ninja::lol:

• Like 1

So for real, I was looking at this tank yesterday thinking about setting up a pico but thought it would be too difficult with filtration!!! 

I have a few questions... 

Do you know how much water fills each container? 

Have you had any problems keeping the sides clean with a toothbrush?

Is there room in the bottom for a smart ATO micro???

2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

So for real, I was looking at this tank yesterday thinking about setting up a pico but thought it would be too difficult with filtration!!! 

I have a few questions... 

Do you know how much water fills each container? 

Have you had any problems keeping the sides clean with a toothbrush?

Is there room in the bottom for a smart ATO micro???

Kimber, that would be SO cool if you did this too!!!

I don't know how much fills each individual container, but the total capacity is approx 1.7 gallons with almost a gallon of it being in the bottom. 

It has been very easy keeping the sides clean with a toothbrush, that's literally all I've used. There are no snails in here yet because I was afraid the ones I could find would be too big and would knock frags over in the small space. I've just ordered some dwarf Ceriths that will arrive next week. 

I haven't tried setting up an ATO but there's a lot of room in the bottom & I'm pretty sure it's doable. Give me some dimensions & I'll measure for you. 

One of the challenges with this is finding small enough pieces of LR that work but still look nice. 

I found a friendly & helpful LFS, told them what I needed & they found me a couple of good pieces. I also have a couple nice pieces of rubble aging in another tank. LR rubble is your friend. 

Because of the small size of the compartments, you really need long tongs to be able to move stuff around in them. I got some inexpensive reptile feeding tongs that work great. 

The ABI Tuna Blue bulb in an architect's lamp works great for this. 

Because of the compartment covers, evaporation and topoff needs are low, but oxygenation of the water seems to be really good due to the multiple overflows.

I do 100% WC's once a week and it has been extremely easy to complete the whole process, including thorough cleaning of the entire tank, in a short period of time. SO easy to maintain!!

The pump has adjustable flow and I run it at about half strength. It's a pretty strong little pump. 

LMK if you have any other questions!! :happy:

Oh, also, the base is big enough that you can do a lot in it. 

Easy to fit a heater in, easy to fit more rubble or media in, could easily do a refugium in it & I may at some point. 

The tank already is set up for mechanical and carbon filtration. 

And if you feed with the included Betta food, you will have crazy mad coralline growth, lol!! :P

• Like 4