Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

8 hours ago, HammerLover said:

Editing in snapseed makes my horrible phone cam shots look decent :D

i usually do this:

-set sharpness to 100

-set warmth to 50

-set tint to -20 or -30

you can also play on the curve feature on snapseed to reduce the blueness of a pic :)

Hey Thanks, I'll try that!! :flower:

• Like 2
HammerLover

You can experiment in snapseed actually, its a really fun photo editing app.

increasing the warmth reduces the blueness while reducing the tint pops up the greens like green zoa skirts for example. The sharpness or structure makes the pic more clearer since blue-ish pics look so horrible, blurry and hard to make out :D 

credits to Natalia for suggesting that app, when I upgraded my lights I cant post any decent pics because everything looks way too blue and crappy. Now I post pics quite well lol :'D

• Like 3

I have never heard of snapseed I will have to check it out. It seems that for some shots the phone is better than the DSLR and for some my DSLR. Granted, I most likely just don't know how to appropriately use everything on the DSLR yet still learning for the most part. 

Christopher Marks
On 3/23/2017 at 9:29 AM, Weetabix7 said:

I'm also working on finding a more permanent lighting fixture solution for the ABI Tuna Blue bulb. I really like the bulb, but it's currently housed in a fixture I borrowed/stole from my son's room and I want something I can raise higher. I've been window shopping on Amazon, lol. 

An adjustable architects lamp like these might provide the flexibility you need. You can get one with a base or one that clamps into a table, the clamp might free up space and be the most minimal solution.

10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

An adjustable architects lamp like these might provide the flexibility you need. You can get one with a base or one that clamps into a table, the clamp might free up space and be the most minimal solution.

Just ordered the first one, thanks!!

Took some pics on phone, now I just need to play around with them in snapseed. 

Um, @Christopher Marks, couldja help with just one more thing? I have no idea how to post a pic on here from my phone. :blush::unsure:

Christopher Marks

When viewing this topic in your phone's browser, tap on the post editor box to expand it and add a reply, then tap the 'choose files...' link at the bottom of the editor and it should bring up a dialog to select the photos on your phone you would like to attach.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

When viewing this topic in your phone's browser, tap on the post editor box to expand it and add a reply, then tap the 'choose files...' link at the bottom of the editor and it should bring up a dialog to select the photos on your phone you would like to attach.

20170324_123742-02.jpeg

• Like 18

Still a little too purple, but it's a start. :happydance:

I tried to post too more but it said I could only upload 5 mb, guess I'll try again later. 

Christopher Marks

That's a pretty good shot, much better white balance! I love this little tank! Are you having any issues with salt creep building up anywhere?

You may have to upload each photo one at a time to get around that limit, rather than selecting a few at a time for upload. If Snapseed gives you an option to save your images smaller, even say 2560 pixels wide, that would also save some file space.

• Like 1

Good to see your progress, weetie. My 6 yr old daughter has asked for a tank, so I've seriously been considering it. My wife is surprisingly supportive, so this may happen.

I agree that our local LFS is not that great. I was in there last week and not impressed. There used to be another one here that I liked better but apparently it shut down a couple of years ago. 

I'm thinking about going to Fins and Critters in Shelby, NC. It's only an hour away. Went there years ago and liked it. I'll let you know if I start something up.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, calvin said:

Good to see your progress, weetie. My 6 yr old daughter has asked for a tank, so I've seriously been considering it. My wife is surprisingly supportive, so this may happen.

I agree that our local LFS is not that great. I was in there last week and not impressed. There used to be another one here that I liked better but apparently it shut down a couple of years ago. 

I'm thinking about going to Fins and Critters in Shelby, NC. It's only an hour away. Went there years ago and liked it. I'll let you know if I start something up.

That would be really cool!!!

I'm pretty choosy about what I get from the local place. 

Let me know what you think about the one in Shelby. 

I will tell you that I was quite impressed with Fishy Business in Columbia and I want to make a trip back there. Yeah, it's a 1.5 hr drive..... but worth it!! I wanna do an overnight trip there with Mama Sue.

• Like 1

Hey Weetie, I needed to see how your cute little betta pica is coming.  You have coral!  Cool.  I can't look at this too often or I will be ordering one, ha ha.  I am just trying to live vicariously through yours.

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hey Weetie, I needed to see how your cute little betta pica is coming.  You have coral!  Cool.  I can't look at this too often or I will be ordering one, ha ha.  I am just trying to live vicariously through yours.

Haha, thx!! 

I had minor coral mishaps in the last section a couple of days ago. The night after I fed the Maze Brain, it got uppity & put out long enough feeder tentacles & stung the Yuma a bit that night. 

Then the Frogspawn expanded enough that the tentacles on the left started to go over the side where it overflows to the base.

I moved everyone a bit & they're doing better, & will likely get even happier after WC today.

27 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Looking good!  The top section needs more RFA, though. ;)

Yes, yes it does. 

On 3/25/2017 at 11:59 AM, teenyreef said:

It's coming along nicely! :happydance:

Thanks!!! Hope you are recovering well. :flower:

• Like 3
On 3/25/2017 at 1:04 PM, Lula_Mae said:

So purdy!  I hope my GSP opens up soon. :happy:

I'm hoping it's peeking out for you now!!

It's the same as the GSP in the foreground in the middle compartment. 

On 3/24/2017 at 6:19 PM, Christopher Marks said:

That's a pretty good shot, much better white balance! I love this little tank! Are you having any issues with salt creep building up anywhere?

You may have to upload each photo one at a time to get around that limit, rather than selecting a few at a time for upload. If Snapseed gives you an option to save your images smaller, even say 2560 pixels wide, that would also save some file space.

Thanks!!!

I am really loving it myself, it's like the "Tiny Home" of Nano Reef Tanks!!

No salt creep at all, surprisingly. You can see some condensation on the left side of the first Anemone compartment, but it's between walls & causes no trouble, just creates an interesting visual effect. 

I got that architect lamp in and set up, it's working quite well. Thx for that!!

True confession time, I have absolutely no clue how to make my images smaller. 

I'm really awful at tech stuff, you'd laugh your head off at me if you knew just how bad. 

That's okay though, I laugh at myself all the time, plus they say laughter is good medicine so I figure I'm providing free therapy. ;)

I tried just now to post another pic from my phone & it still won't let me, says I can only post 5 mb. 

I still don't like the pics from my phone anyway tho, when they post anywhere they look much grainier than the real deal, while they look nice & sharp on my phone. 

I need to do some more messing around with photo stuff....

• Like 3

Tried again but still having probs with phone pics, but I know how much everyone loves pics, so here's what I'm gonna do for you. 

As a result of a discussion with someone earlier today, I ended up looking through my old photobucket pics of previous tanks. 

I really like the way the ABI Tuna Blue bulb makes my corals and system look, but with my current photo difficulties it's been impossible to show that. 

The following pics are of a previous aquarium and are NOT taken under the Tuna Blue bulb, but they come the closest to illustrating how this bulb makes things look, to my eye anyway. 

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

• Like 11

Here's a couple more pics that give a good idea of how coral and overall system colors look under the 12w ABI Tuna Blue bulb.

@natalia_la_loca, this is the long-tentacled Goniopora I used to have that was so healthy!!

IMG_6931.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

• Like 9
Needreefunds

Oh that red Goni... And those blues... Memories, great memories. Where those the blue cloves from Elfab that we all wanted way back when? 

Tank looks great by the way Weets. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Needreefunds said:

Oh that red Goni... And those blues... Memories, great memories. Where those the blue cloves from Elfab that we all wanted way back when? 

Tank looks great by the way Weets. 

Inorite??

I don't think those cloves were from the Fab One, I think they were from another old-time member who lived in Cali, don't remember the name though. 

The Tubs Blues were from Urchinhead, pretty sure. 

The beautiful Goni was originally from Flo, then was given to me as a bday gift when Mama Sue took her system down. 

Many, many of the corals in my tanks originated from the N-R community.

Yup, good memories. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm hoping it's peeking out for you now!!

It's the same as the GSP in the foreground in the middle compartment. 

I just got home a little bit ago and realized I'd forgotten to turn the new lamp on when I plugged it into the timer, so I turned it on and found Shelby half sitting on it...no polyps have been seen as of yet...  :closedeyes: