inTank Media Baskets

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

On 3/20/2018 at 3:05 PM, djorijun said:

That's also a simple task, the only annoying part for me is where it's placed.  But actually removing the pump is easy. 

Okay one more question, how much room do I need behind the tank? Put the tank on the stand today and realized I don't know how much room to leave back there in case I add one down the road. Doh!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 10:31 PM, reef3r said:

If you do decide to get one please let me know how you like it, I've been on the fence about getting one for a while as well...

Really liking this pump so far. Flow is great + no dead spots and I love it on the back wall freeing up my side glass for better viewing. So happy with Icecap that I just picked up one of their K1 nano skimmers

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

So, i just put my new lagoon on my stand (still empty). The stand has a granite top. I notice that the attached foam on the bottom of the tank is slightly thinner on the front corners , so I can actually see under it. It's definitely not resting on the stand. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure how to fix it.

EDIT: Spoke to IM and they think that the foam might be more compressed in the front because I had it stored in my closet for quite a while. I'll give it a few days and see what happens.  

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, nickyJ said:

Really liking this pump so far. Flow is great + no dead spots and I love it on the back wall freeing up my side glass for better viewing. So happy with Icecap that I just picked up one of their K1 nano skimmers

I picked up Icecap's K1 nano skimmers too. I hope it works well.

• Like 1

Anyone running the icecap 1k nano skimmer? It’s supposed to fit in the second chamber with no mods and looks solid. Not finding much online as it’s a new release.

1 hour ago, dvs1986 said:

Anyone running the icecap 1k nano skimmer? It’s supposed to fit in the second chamber with no mods and looks solid. Not finding much online as it’s a new release.

fits perfectly without the bracket it comes with

does it pull the typical wet skim we've seen from so many other skimmers? or is this finally one that will pull thicker darker skimmate?

50 minutes ago, nickyJ said:

gonna need a few more weeks of break into before I can say - I've only had it 1 week as of today and am skimming wet on purpose

im really hoping its good. everything about this is great. it fits. its a good price. its not hideous. im all for it assuming it can skim.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, dvs1986 said:

It does drop fit right into the IM25 without the brackets.

Here's my unboxing video of it if you're curious of how it looks.

I just got it last week so it's still breaking in but i'll do an update video on it in a few weeks.

If you check out my instagram pics ( @mightynanotank ) I've posted pics of it skimming during the break in period so far.

@nickyJ hey - does your skimmer make a low helicopter'ish sound? I've had that happen to me a few times. I had to turn it off and blow into the air intake and it seemed to have fix it, but will make that helicopter'ish sound every now and again.

This is my tank, the back is pretty stacked with rock work so there aren't many holes for flow and the center has a couple of Acros that are too close to the glass on both sides where there would be too much flow hitting them.  Would you guys recommend placing the MP10 closer to the front where I have an actual gap?  Also, I keep hearing about folks running NTM mode instead of RC mode.  Any recommendations on that?  I placed it in the front area for now in order to get some flow going, but I'm currently on RC mode at the 5th dot and I can barely see much of my corals moving.  

Screenshot from my camera (sorry for the potato quality)

aVztMobl.png

Kellie in CA

Just just got my new Lagoon filled up this morning. I have the new midsize IM MightyJet pump (538 gph). I'm getting pretty good flow through two RFG nozzles. It's also dead silent, and has some cool features on the controller.  Pretty happy with it! I was a bit nervous because I hadn't seen anyone use it in this tank yet. If you were wondering, it fits!

eslatts11
On 3/20/2018 at 3:49 PM, eslatts11 said:

One of the vendor booths, I believe it was Premium Aquatics. I put in a lot of the raffles too and didn't win a thing :( There was that one guy that won like several things. I bet he ended up spending more money on raffle tickets than the cost of the items he won.

Same here, I've never felt like my 9001 skimmed quite right... Will be sure to update the thread with my results!!

After a month and a half with IceCap K1 Nano Skimmer:

Sorry to report but I am not that pleased. I wanted this to be great, really. Produces adequate skim just like my Tunze 9001, maybe slightly better, but has some serious flaws that I just can't over look. Firstly, the collection cup has seams that are like a couple millimeter gaps that traps skimmate and the only way to clean those little gaps is with a bunched up paper towel or cue tip. Secondly, I have found is that is almost impossible to clean the inner ring of the cup (between the outer and inner ring). Too thin to clean with your hands - no room to fit an actual finger down to scrub with a paper towel. I haven't even quite figured out how to clean this part, I would imagine the only way to is with a specialized tool that could fit into there and scrub at the same time? Lastly, and this is really the deal breaker for me, the top hole on the collection cup leaks skimmate out the top:

IMG_20180502_195641.jpg

IMG_20180502_195701.jpg

1 hour ago, eslatts11 said:

Sorry to report but I am not that pleased. I wanted this to be great, really. Produces adequate skim just like my Tunze 9001, maybe slightly better, but has some serious flaws that I just can't over look. Firstly, the collection cup has seems that are like a couple millimeter gaps that traps skimmate and the only way to clean those little gaps is with a bunched up paper towel or cue tip. Secondly, I have found is that is almost impossible to clean the inner ring of the cup (between the outer and inner ring). Too thin to clean with your hands - no room to fit an actual finger down to scrub with a paper towel. I haven't even quite figured out how to clean this part, I would imagine the only way to is with a specialized tool that could fit into there and scrub at the same time? Lastly, and this is really the deal breaker for me, the top hole on the collection cup leaks skimmate out the top:

IMG_20180502_195641.jpg

IMG_20180502_195701.jpg

gah... that is not what i was hoping to hear...

13 hours ago, eslatts11 said:

Sorry to report but I am not that pleased. I wanted this to be great, really. Produces adequate skim just like my Tunze 9001, maybe slightly better, but has some serious flaws that I just can't over look. Firstly, the collection cup has seams that are like a couple millimeter gaps that traps skimmate and the only way to clean those little gaps is with a bunched up paper towel or cue tip. Secondly, I have found is that is almost impossible to clean the inner ring of the cup (between the outer and inner ring). Too thin to clean with your hands - no room to fit an actual finger down to scrub with a paper towel. I haven't even quite figured out how to clean this part, I would imagine the only way to is with a specialized tool that could fit into there and scrub at the same time? Lastly, and this is really the deal breaker for me, the top hole on the collection cup leaks skimmate out the top:

IMG_20180502_195641.jpg

IMG_20180502_195701.jpg

Just from first glance it looks like you don't have the skimmer properly dialed in. It looks like you are skimming too wet and your bubble line is too high thus your bubbles are overflowing out too much. Try having your valve opened all the way and slowly adjust it.

See Billy Pipe's video for protein skimmer tuning:

• Like 1
eslatts11
6 hours ago, Nart said:

Just from first glance it looks like you don't have the skimmer properly dialed in. It looks like you are skimming too wet and your bubble line is too high thus your bubbles are overflowing out too much. Try having your valve opened all the way and slowly adjust it.

See Billy Pipe's video for protein skimmer tuning:

Sweet, thanks I will give this a shot 😊

• 4 weeks later...
Red Angel NY

Cant wait to get my im 25 up and going great read... question i wanna do sps im so torn of lighting.. 2 ai prime hd or radion (idk which one) or hydra 25 or nano-box.. i wanna go LED i kno this is a huge topic but what would you do if you had the money and wanted sps?..

15 hours ago, Red Angel NY said:

Cant wait to get my im 25 up and going great read... question i wanna do sps im so torn of lighting.. 2 ai prime hd or radion (idk which one) or hydra 25 or nano-box.. i wanna go LED i kno this is a huge topic but what would you do if you had the money and wanted sps?..

If money isn't a factor I would grab a Radion XR30w G4 Pro - I'm currently using a gen 1 on my tank the coverage is perfect and I think their mount looks nice. I will admit to being a Ecotech fanboy though their products have always treated me well but are not cheap

On 4/16/2018 at 7:28 PM, Kellie in CA said:

So, i just put my new lagoon on my stand (still empty). The stand has a granite top. I notice that the attached foam on the bottom of the tank is slightly thinner on the front corners , so I can actually see under it. It's definitely not resting on the stand. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure how to fix it.

EDIT: Spoke to IM and they think that the foam might be more compressed in the front because I had it stored in my closet for quite a while. I'll give it a few days and see what happens.  

Did your foam ever fix itself? I have had mine for about a week, but it is going to probably be another month before I get it on a stand. Should I go ahead and take the styrofoam blocks off of it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I've had my 25 lagoon up and running for about 18 months now. were doing well. Thought I would add a skimmer to the list. Fluval Sea Mini PS2.  Its a hell of a tight fit but i cant argue with the results, produces a decently dark skimmate, still working on tuning it in. I will post a picture when i have some to show. I have the Reef Octopus NS80 coming so i can give it a try as well. Not a fan of just how tight the fluval is.