Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

@new2reefin It's a good concern. How big of a pump are you running though? If you run too big of a pump in the back it'll drain the back of the AIO sump faster than the overflow can fill it up. Leaving the water level in the back pretty low. Currently I am running  1 x MJ1200 for both the return nozzle and the water line in the last chamber barely touches the top of my Colbalt neo-therm 100W heater.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rye22 said:

need some suggestions for protein skimmer, i tried using Tunze 9001 but had too much  micro bubbles.

I started with the Innovative Marine Ghost in my IM25. Microbubbles were out of control. Then got the Reef Glass Nano Skimmer and liked it. Was small and didn't use much room. The skimate was pretty wet, not the darkest color, but I was happy with it.

I heard a lot of amazing things about the Cadlights PLS-50 skimmer and got lucky to find one for sale on here. I tried it out and it did amazing, couldn't of asked for a better skimmer. Problem is they are very hard to find now, and when you find one, you have to modify it to allow it to fit in the back chamber. 

If you are looking on a budget, Reef2reef DIY section had a guy make a replica of the Reef glass skimmer for half the price. 

I use a reef octopus ns80. Needs no modding to fit,just allow a few weeks to break in to rid of some microbubbles and youre good,plus....theyre $50 new.

10 hours ago, Rye22 said:

need some suggestions for protein skimmer, i tried using Tunze 9001 but had too much  micro bubbles.

11 hours ago, Rye22 said:

Have you modified it to attach to the back panel of the aquarium? It makes it easier to tune the water level. In addition, if you don't have an ATO, its a must to maintain the water level. I've had mine since November and have had no issues. Hope that helps. 

9 hours ago, pgrVII said:

I use a reef octopus ns80. Needs no modding to fit,just allow a few weeks to break in to rid of some microbubbles and youre good,plus....theyre $50 new.

what chamber are you running it in? no mods at all?

10 hours ago, colinlevy said:

I started with the Innovative Marine Ghost in my IM25. Microbubbles were out of control. Then got the Reef Glass Nano Skimmer and liked it. Was small and didn't use much room. The skimate was pretty wet, not the darkest color, but I was happy with it.

I heard a lot of amazing things about the Cadlights PLS-50 skimmer and got lucky to find one for sale on here. I tried it out and it did amazing, couldn't of asked for a better skimmer. Problem is they are very hard to find now, and when you find one, you have to modify it to allow it to fit in the back chamber. 

If you are looking on a budget, Reef2reef DIY section had a guy make a replica of the Reef glass skimmer for half the price. 

Is this the Cadlights one?  It looks like they have a new release.

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_95&products_id=364

I've actually never used a skimmer , but I might have to add it to my list of wants.

36 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

what chamber are you running it in? no mods at all?

No mods,I put it in the chamber and let it rip. Just don't use the bracket that comes with it.? 20180130_192512.thumb.jpg.e100de7a73bf975250000d2ce3360eec.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kellie in CA said:

Is this the Cadlights one?  It looks like they have a new release.

https://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_95&products_id=364

I've actually never used a skimmer , but I might have to add it to my list of wants.

That is their new one they just released. It is larger than the original. So out of the box wont fit in the back chamber. Guess won't know about a modification until someone tries buying it and cutting it until it does fit...

2 hours ago, colinlevy said:

That is their new one they just released. It is larger than the original. So out of the box wont fit in the back chamber. Guess won't know about a modification until someone tries buying it and cutting it until it does fit...

Ahhhh. Darn.

14 hours ago, colinlevy said:

its it slightly larger but if you look at the measurements of the unit it should be an exact fit i already know of a couple of people with IM tanks that have already ordered this skimmer. This is also the measurements with the bracket on, so im sure you can modify the bracket if need be and i believe cad lights said the bracket is removable as well  

On 1/30/2018 at 5:11 AM, colinlevy said:

Thanks ill check it out.

On 1/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, Ikikimo said:

Have you modified it to attach to the back panel of the aquarium? It makes it easier to tune the water level. In addition, if you don't have an ATO, its a must to maintain the water level. I've had mine since November and have had no issues. Hope that helps. 

what do you mean modify back panel? do you have pictures of your setup?

Does the dead space under the rear chambers/baffles really annoy anyone else? I want to get one of these tanks but I'd have to put it up against a wall and it just seems like these dead zones are a terrible trap and impossible to clean. 

How does everyone else deal with that? 

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, kegz08 said:

Is the dead space under the rear chambers/baffles really annoy anyone else? I want to get one of these tanks but I'd have to put it up against a wall and it just seems like these dead zones are a terrible trap and impossible to clean. 

Capture.JPG

Can't say I have really thought about that. But I agree it's hard enough to clean the rear chambers when the tank is up against a wall. I usually take all the equipment out of one chamber a month and clean it during the water change. Just clean a different one each time.

2 hours ago, kegz08 said:

Does the dead space under the rear chambers/baffles really annoy anyone else? I want to get one of these tanks but I'd have to put it up against a wall and it just seems like these dead zones are a terrible trap and impossible to clean. 

Capture.JPG

It doesn't really concern me that much, but it is weird.  I don't know why it was designed that way when they could have just brought the chamber all the way to the bottom.  That would have been easier, no? 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, kegz08 said:

Capture.JPG

A bucket vacuum is pretty cheap and effective for cleaning these tight areas:

Bucket_Vacuum.JPG

was going to start a new thread but I feel this applies here. having issues with intank baskets and water level in my lagoon 25.

I ran the lagoon for a few days with sandbed and saltwater and fritzzime with the baskets with floss without issue. every few days i changed the floss out as usual. New lagoon 25 transfer little over week ago - all contents transferred from 4 year old biocube14 which i ran a intank basket with floss without issue. sand bed was new and rinsed clean, all live rock was washed out to remove all crud. after transfer the tank was really clean not a lot of cloudy if any. i ran the stocks filter socks for 3 days and they collected usual amount of dirty brown stuff.

upgraded return pump to sicce 1.5 wide open. LEFT side: intank media basket floss/empty/empty then fuge basket with chaeto which is like 1/4 of the basket size  RIGHT side: is just floss holder. I have been running water volume 3/4 - 1" below last baffle.

here is the problem: few days ago i switched out socks for floss. same floss i used for 4 years. within 12hours clogging and raising display level. overflowing floss holder, filling up the media basket side to where it gurgles down the tank side of the basket. change floss it is fine then does it again. it has set off the ato also. I don't feel like the floss is clogged as it is super clean, i tried little floss, lots of floss. switched out to some intank blue/white floss pads i had to try those overnight. this morning the same issue. what is going on here i feel like i can't leave this tank for a night running baskets?

am i running too strong of a return? am i running too much or too little water? can someone help out here - couple photos attached moments ago

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

Try turning down the flow on the pump.  Without any other media in the basket it maybe causing level issues, especially with Chaeto all up on the exit from the 2nd chamber.  

Or try removing water while the filtration pump is ON from the pump or accessory chamber.  It may need to balance out for what you are running at this moment.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, StevieT said:

Try turning down the flow on the pump.  Without any other media in the basket it maybe causing level issues, especially with Chaeto all up on the exit from the 2nd chamber.  

Or try removing water while the filtration pump is ON from the pump or accessory chamber.  It may need to balance out for what you are running at this moment.

do those water levels in baskets look good?