SaltCritters.com

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

Hey guys! Have been out of reefing for years used to have a larger tank (6 foot tank) and went for a Nano to get my feet wet again! 

Tank just finished its cycle with Dr. Tim's one & only plan on dosing all for reef and acropower. 

IM Lagoon 25:

• White APS Stand
  • Mighty Jet 324gph stock return
  • Two RFG 3/4
  • Two 75W Neotherms
  • 1 Inkbird Wifi
  • Wifi powerstrip from Kasa
  • Icecap K1 Nano skimmer
  • Two Media baskets with filter floss & Marinepure Gems
  • Reefbeeders ATO Prism
  • AI Nero 3
  • AI Hydra 32HD
  • 3D Reefing Diffuser
  • ez-dose holder 
  • ez-dose water risers

Livestock:

• Bonded pair of Snowflake clowns
  • Going to have a mixed reef (zoas, rock anemones, mushrooms, LPS, SPS & a Clam later down the road)
  • Eventually adding a 6 line wrasse
  • Any other livestock suggestions or do you think two clowns and a 6 line fish wise is max?

20201207_152435.jpg

20201216_121827.jpg

20201221_171804.jpg

20201221_171847.jpg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a return pump? I am currently running the stock Mighty Jet Pump - 326 GPH Desktop and a MP10 (running on reef crest mode at 40%) but am still having a problem with surface film. The outlet jets are pointed directly at the top of the water and the MP10 is also only about three inches below the surface. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, FLNanoReefer said:

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a return pump? I am currently running the stock Mighty Jet Pump - 326 GPH Desktop and a MP10 (running on reef crest mode at 40%) but am still having a problem with surface film. The outlet jets are pointed directly at the top of the water and the MP10 is also only about three inches below the surface. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I ran the same pump with no issues. You should have surface film with that much flow, surface movement in an aio. 

Sounds like possibly an overflow issue. Water level might be too high in display or back chambers, not allowing proper surface skimming.

Or the media baskets are too full of media is another thing to consider

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FLNanoReefer said:

I'm using the same pump on the lowest setting and the Akamai KPS powerhead on 30%. I use the blade shaped nozzles on the return pump and have them turned diagonal so a little bit of the corner sticks out of the water which creates pretty good surface agitation. I have mostly LPS/Euphyllia so my flow is pretty low (maybe too low). No skimmer. Been running this way about 6 months.

I have not at any point gotten any surface film running this way.

Is the water coming through the overflow grates cascading over into the back? Is there too much water in the tank? Or do you have a huge wad of floss or something blocking the water from flowing over? On mine one side has the stock caddy and the other has the inMedia filter floss basket, but both allow water to overflow the side of the basket and still go into the sump area if the floss or media gets gunked up). Maybe a picture of your rear sump area would help?

(as an aside, I'm kinda wondering if I should increase my return pump turnover because the heater compartment seems to heat up quickly and my neotherm shuts off, even though the rest of the tank is still cold.. i had to move it into the display for now)

On 9/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Clown79 said:

I had full coverage with just 1 prime on my tank. There was minimal shading but my corals were so happy. 

Now with 2, there is very little area in my tank with shade so i struggled and had to lower both lights.

Now my corals are doing good, even my sps are happier.

There is no way either light can get close to its full power.

I run 1 HD on my 20g and things are growing, full, and happy.

I recommend 2 for certain aquascape designs like separate islands or an sps dominant tank.

Otherwise start with 1 and if you need another it can always be added later.

@Clown79 I wanted to follow up on this and see if you minded to share your settings, schedule and mounting height on your two primes? I have been running two AI Prime HD's for about 3 months and have a few corals that got white (favia and branching cyphastrea), a few that got lighter (red montipora getting more orange, stylophora getting lighter looking), and a few that haven't really grown (StyloC, candy canes). My frogspawn and hammers look good except when they are fulling extended where the dark areas look brighter/more translucent than they used to, and have a couple things that have really taken off too. The weird thing is the stuff that is getting lighter is still growing, like one head of frogspawn split into 3, montipora continued to grow, favia got much larger despite continuing to have a white center where the original frag was.

I'm running AB+ settings at essentially half the normal setting on each light (40% blues/royal blue, 60% uv/violet, 20% white) for about 8 hours peak and 1.5hour ramp up and down, and the bottom of each LED is 8.5" from the water. Maybe the LEDs just need to be mounted higher in general? I found some par maps on youtube but they are with just a single prime.

I realize placement is a big factor but with this tank being so shallow it seems hard to really provide much of a range of lighting

• 1 month later...

I haven't been on the forum much lately.  What light are people using for these tanks nowadays?  I have a NanoBox Duo over mine, but just hit the 3 year mark with all my equipment so I am slowly replacing everything before I have a breakdown.  Last on my list is the light so I want to start deciding what to get while I am saving up.    To be honest, all I've ever used are Nanobox lights, so I'm not sure where to go now.  

reef.jpg

• Like 3
HatrickSwayzee
16 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I haven't been on the forum much lately.  What light are people using for these tanks nowadays?  I have a NanoBox Duo over mine, but just hit the 3 year mark with all my equipment so I am slowly replacing everything before I have a breakdown.  Last on my list is the light so I want to start deciding what to get while I am saving up.    To be honest, all I've ever used are Nanobox lights, so I'm not sure where to go now.  

AI Prime 16HD with the 12" mount.  I originally had the 18", but I think that was too high.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:59 PM, tranceFusion said:

@Clown79 I wanted to follow up on this and see if you minded to share your settings, schedule and mounting height on your two primes? I have been running two AI Prime HD's for about 3 months and have a few corals that got white (favia and branching cyphastrea), a few that got lighter (red montipora getting more orange, stylophora getting lighter looking), and a few that haven't really grown (StyloC, candy canes). My frogspawn and hammers look good except when they are fulling extended where the dark areas look brighter/more translucent than they used to, and have a couple things that have really taken off too. The weird thing is the stuff that is getting lighter is still growing, like one head of frogspawn split into 3, montipora continued to grow, favia got much larger despite continuing to have a white center where the original frag was.

I'm running AB+ settings at essentially half the normal setting on each light (40% blues/royal blue, 60% uv/violet, 20% white) for about 8 hours peak and 1.5hour ramp up and down, and the bottom of each LED is 8.5" from the water. Maybe the LEDs just need to be mounted higher in general? I found some par maps on youtube but they are with just a single prime.

I realize placement is a big factor but with this tank being so shallow it seems hard to really provide much of a range of lighting

I no longer have my tanks. I had to shut them down.

My lights were about 10" from water surface.

Ramp up and down were 1.5hrs.

My schedule was ab+ but altered.

The uv and violet i acclimated slowly over 2 mnths to go over 100%.

my blues were in the 50-60% range.

White was only 15% for 3 hrs, then 7 % for 2hrs, then 0 for remaining time.

My reds and green were only 4% 

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I no longer have my tanks. I had to shut them down.

My lights were about 10" from water surface.

Ramp up and down were 1.5hrs.

My schedule was ab+ but altered.

The uv and violet i acclimated slowly over 2 mnths to go over 100%.

my blues were in the 50-60% range.

White was only 15% for 3 hrs, then 7 % for 2hrs, then 0 for remaining time.

My reds and green were only 4% 

Oh no 😞

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've run across quite a few of your posts on this forum and they've been extremely helpful in getting my tank setup. Hope you can get back up and running eventually.

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kellie in CA said:

I'm running 2 Hydra 26s NonHD. About to acquire an AIO 25 Lagoon with XR15 T5 Hybrid. Not familiar with Radeons. I've always ran AIs, you can get away with running 1 Hydra 26 on these.

• 4 months later...
michael_cb_125

For quite a few soft, and lps corals this light is fine.

Lumping all soft and lps corals into one lighting intensity is not a good idea.

Some soft corals like more light than many SPS, and the same goes for a few lps. 

But in short the prime will give decent coverage and enough par to keep many different corals (even some sps) in the 25 lagoon.

7 hours ago, scrappy34 said:

Do you guys think 1 Prime HD would work well on these thanks for softies/LPS? 

I think two is best. I found one worked well when my tank was new but as your corals grow, in this shallow but wide/deep tank, they will tend to create a lot of shade, so a 2nd prime will help a lot with getting coverage of the tank. To some extent you just need to work with what you've got though - you could put some cyphastrea, micromussa, favia and other stuff that likes the shade around the outside of the tank.

• 1 month later...

I’m considering this tank upgrade after the holidays. I used to have the IM 30L and the back chambers were much larger.  What are people using for skimmers in these?

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased the IM 25 and being shipped. Im having a tough time finding a decent heater that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What is everyone using and in which chamber?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, neoh74 said:

Just purchased the IM 25 and being shipped. Im having a tough time finding a decent heater that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What is everyone using and in which chamber?

I just ordered the 25 lagoon also and will be arriving next week. I went with a hydro Theo 100w. It fits in the second chamber and if it’s not enough, I’ll get a second one and run both. Not many options on this tank for heaters. 

• 1 year later...
dailygrind81

I replaced my mightjet pump with a sicce pump and have it at the lowest setting but I feel like the flow is still too strong.  I use two random flow outputs but it still whips all my torches on the sand bed...Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

Hey y'all! I just became a 25 gallon lagoon owner and am trying to figure out the heater situation! I purchased the IM Helio system w/ 2x100w Helio elements and was wondering where I should place them in the chambers. I don't really want to put them in the return chamber for safety purposes and i was wondering if I could put them both underneath the floss holder in one of the outside intake chambers?