SaltCritters.com

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

2 hours ago, Wash1987 said:

okay so i have another question, to mp10 or not to mp10 for my lagoon 25? I have read a ton but am still not sure if the 285.00 price tag is worth it.

I agree with @Kellie in CA that it's probably overkill. I use an rw-4 on half power in mine. The aqamai might be a better alternative, though I'm not too familiar with it.

Couldn't agree more with Kellie (above). 

I think the MP10 is great for nano tanks when the focus is to not clutter up the inside of the tank. Those random flow generators are getting a lot of hype and pair up nicely with an over sized return pump (since they drastically reduce the flow).  

I wanted quality stuff for my tank when I set it up so I bought it. Without a doubt, I'll be selling it off soon and replacing it with a cheaper option.  It's nice, but it's not $285 nice. 

i agree. i upgraded the return to a sicce 1.5, and took all other equipment out of the tank. its been awesome. i do want to switch out the return nozzles for Random Flow Generators at some point, but other than that i love this tank.

15 hours ago, colinlevy said:

That is really neat! 

I wish I had seen that before I bought an expensive floss holder. My local library let's you use their 3D printer free. 

Free?! Thats awesome. I really like these, i originally was going to print them in black to match, but there is something cool about the glow they get from my light. 

5 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

Free?! Thats awesome. I really like these, i originally was going to print them in black to match, but there is something cool about the glow they get from my light. 

the green glow is so nice. check out oceanbox design they have frag racks that are black with green on the bottom look so awesome!! I picked one up and gana grab another one in a week or two!

39C72D4F-68D7-408E-8A16-ADCAA3D52AA7.jpeg

D2C24034-D296-42E5-BE13-447EE333EA3A.jpeg

FF326C39-5B24-4421-AB89-A08B030AD990.jpeg

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Ikikimo said:

What is everyone CUC consist of and how many of each? Curious what everyone has. 

I was lazy and went to reef cleaners and got the 25 gallon pack,definitely a good call. It contained all snails.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ikikimo said:

What is everyone CUC consist of and how many of each? Curious what everyone has. 

I wouldn't mind hearing everyone's as well. My tank has only been up 2 months, no fish yet, so only have a few CUC, but am really leaning on buying one of the reef cleaners packages (maybe not the 25g one, maybe a smaller package) 

I've always had great results from reefcleaners. I think I'm going to get a pack from them, but maybe a smaller tank size. Get the pack for the 10-15 gallon range. Usually they send more than you order, which sounds awesome, but then you deal with die off.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any issues with the RFG nozzles? I put them in my Lagoon and unfortunately had a small clownfish sucked into one of the nozzles. By the time I noticed it was too late.

• Sad 1
flatlandreefer
On 12/16/2017 at 12:43 PM, Ikikimo said:

I have a tuxedo urchin, small conch, some nerite snail(most adults have been eaten by my rfa but there are tons of babies, a few cerinth(most suffered the same fate as the nerites), and some blue leg hermits. The blue legs and urchin are the ones that seem to be the most effective. 

On 12/7/2017 at 10:28 AM, Wash1987 said:

Yeah there will be at least one shelf in the bottom and custom mounting for my ATO and controllers. 

also i plan on drawing it in 3D and creating a print, material and cut list if anyone wants the plans for it.

I'm looking to build that exact stand, plans and cuts would appreciated!

3 hours ago, new2reefin said:

Has anyone had any issues with the RFG nozzles? I put them in my Lagoon and unfortunately had a small clownfish sucked into one of the nozzles. By the time I noticed it was too late.

whoaaaa like got sucked/stuck into the input part? i guess i never thought that as an issue. can’t be much more dangerous than a timed powerhead with open grates. i know my strombus snails crawl in the front and dig into the grooves which is super annoying as the random flow goes away till they clean and leave.

These types of accidents seem to be more common that reported. I just put in an MP10 a week ago. Came in to feed and everyone was alive, I come back from putting the food away and my Watchman Goby got sucked into the MP10.

2 hours ago, Ikikimo said:

These types of accidents seem to be more common that reported. I just put in an MP10 a week ago. Came in to feed and everyone was alive, I come back from putting the food away and my Watchman Goby got sucked into the MP10.

I had one of my clowns get sucked into the MP10. Since then I got the foam to go around it to keep this from happening. 

Also got an anemone recently that doesn't like to stay in one spot, so the foam protector helps

Yeah poor little guy. All I could see was his head sticking out.  I turned off the pump and pulled him out but he only made it a few minutes before he was belly up. 

Yup, on the back of the nozzles theres openings where as the water comes through from the pump it must create a venturi effect. This draws in water from the display tank in that area and sucked my clownfish right in. I never realized the openings were there either until I had to pull a my fish out. And when I tried to see if he was ok he got sucked back in again. 

Please observe the zip tie in this photo slipped from the opening in the back of the nozzle coming out the front of the nozzle.   It can and will suck small fish in. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nart said:

@new2reefin Oh wow. I didn't realize that. I stuck my fingers there, I barely feel any suction. Is it possible that your clown was weak to begin with and got sucked in?

This might be the case.  I have had very bad luck with small clowns to begin with, but once a fish is weak they can easily get sucked into any type of powerhead.

I guess it may also depend on the size of the pumps that your using. Larger pumps will create more suction. Admittedly it was a small clownfish and he may have been weak but I just wanted people to be aware of the possibility.