Top Shelf Aquatics

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

Anyone lagoon 25 owners who were previously BioCube 29/32 owners on here? I wanted to know how your transition went, do you like it overall, and do you find yourself missing those extra gallons from a taller tank?  Do you plan on getting a large tank in the future? I’m on the fence about switching. 

2 minutes ago, Dansogood said:

Anyone lagoon 25 owners who were previously BioCube 29/32 owners on here? I wanted to know how your transition went, do you like it overall, and do you find yourself missing those extra gallons from a taller tank?  Do you plan on getting a large tank in the future? I’m on the fence about switching. 

I had a Nanocube 28,and now the 25. While not a big difference in gallons,the 25 is just nicer overall in fit and finish. The dimensions are great too,no rounded corners to warp the view so to speal . I also like the filter sections in the 25 alot better. Plus,I found the Lagoon way more fun to scape.

• 4 weeks later...
GrumpyDaddy68

I'm sorry... I tried to post this question here but it came as a new topic (my bad! I'm new here).

Hi all,

I'm planning to build this tank (IM 25 lagoon) in the next coming months and I would like to start by buying some equipment:

I have a couple questions for you:

Skimmer

- What Skimmer do you recommend? I am leaning for a Tunze 9001 or Desktop Nuvo DC Protein Skimmer

If I go with the 9001; what about DC or non-DC?

Lights

- I'm planning to have soft corals (LPS), anemones ; not much into (SPS)...... yet!!

I'm thinking one AI Prime HD or one Kessil A160we

I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

I have the icecap 1k nano skimmer on my tank and it's been great, not to mention you don't have to modify the back chambers at all. I also keep an AI Prime HD on my tank and its more light than you'll need especially if you're not doing much SPS. i only have one on my tank at the moment, but it does leave some shadowed areas around the edge. a lot of people don't like that, but i find it provides areas for low light corals to thrive.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Dansogood said:

On 2/8/2019 at 7:30 PM, pgrVII said:

I had a Nanocube 28,and now the 25. While not a big difference in gallons,the 25 is just nicer overall in fit and finish. The dimensions are great too,no rounded corners to warp the view so to speal . I also like the filter sections in the 25 alot better. Plus,I found the Lagoon way more fun to scape.

Ditto what PGR said. I also liked that the lagoon is a smidge shallower, so my shirt sleeves don't get wet during a water change!! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

Ditto what PGR said. I also liked that the lagoon is a smidge shallower, so my shirt sleeves don't get wet during a water change!! 

Boom. Thats whats up. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Boom. Thats whats up. 

Dang....I'm messy sometimes and like to spill so I decided all water changes are done in my swimsuit 😎

13 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Dang....I'm messy sometimes and like to spill so I decided all water changes are done in my swimsuit 😎

Theres that too brother!🤙😆🌊

• Haha 1
GrumpyDaddy68
1 hour ago, dvs1986 said:

I have the icecap 1k nano skimmer on my tank and it's been great, not to mention you don't have to modify the back chambers at all. I also keep an AI Prime HD on my tank and its more light than you'll need especially if you're not doing much SPS. i only have one on my tank at the moment, but it does leave some shadowed areas around the edge. a lot of people don't like that, but i find it provides areas for low light corals to thrive.

Thanks DVS,

I leaning for the AI Prime; I also like the idea not having to spend more money in the controller.

• Like 1
jakelsl2009

Hey guys, I am planning on buying the IM 25g lagoon within the next couples weeks, I was wondering if there are any recommendations on stands as I am either going to maybe just build my own or if I can find one that isn't crazy expensive, get that.  The only problem with building it is that I don't necessarily have the space or tools to build one at home so a pre-built or build it yourself would be the best.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Thanks DVS,

I leaning for the AI Prime; I also like the idea not having to spend more money in the controller.

that controller was a huge sell for me. Kessils are great, but extra purchases on an already expensive item was a deal breaker for me. I also considered a nanobox, but ultimately didn't due to price. if you haven't noticed, im a cheap ass.  I love my prime.

I love my kessil a360we but I think I would get an AI prime if I had to do it again. With the the kessil, arm and controller it was over $550.

Plus I like the red hue you can get from the prime. 

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I finally pulled the trigger and the IM 25 lagoon should be here before end of the week.

I would like to increase the water volume; I have read that the 'Intank Surface Skimmers' are a good option (any other option?).

Could someone send me the overflow dimensions in the tank? I went to the Intank web page and I can see only one option but it seems to be larger that the one in the tank.

If somebody is using one; I would appreciate some pics if available.

Thanks,

6 hours ago, 3s1k said:

What kind of lights do you guys use and what % intensity do you guys run your lights? 

nanobox duo m with bluefish mini - running the mixed reef setting turned down a bit but my sps are really high so it works for me.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:05 PM, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Hi all,

I finally pulled the trigger and the IM 25 lagoon should be here before end of the week.

I would like to increase the water volume; I have read that the 'Intank Surface Skimmers' are a good option (any other option?).

Could someone send me the overflow dimensions in the tank? I went to the Intank web page and I can see only one option but it seems to be larger that the one in the tank.

If somebody is using one; I would appreciate some pics if available.

Thanks,

I use these on my 30L. I love them. They raised thee water almost 1/2" 

1 minute ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Mattbaar,

How did you attached them to the tank (clips only, aquarium sealant, superglue)?

Thanks,

I just used the included clips. They hold pretty well but I might consider glueing them in the future

pieceofreef
On 3/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, jakelsl2009 said:

Hey guys, I am planning on buying the IM 25g lagoon within the next couples weeks, I was wondering if there are any recommendations on stands as I am either going to maybe just build my own or if I can find one that isn't crazy expensive, get that.  The only problem with building it is that I don't necessarily have the space or tools to build one at home so a pre-built or build it yourself would be the best.

The Ikea SEKTION kitchen cabinets work well I think. Just make sure to reinforce them. 

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I have a question for you...

I'm working on setting up my tank (IM 25 lagoon); If I use the 75 watts heater (Cobalt), this fits really nice in the middle back chamber.

However, I would like to use a 100 watts instead; the problem is that this one is larger and it doesn't complete fits if placed vertical (half of the temp dial is not submerged).

If anybody is using this heater (Cobalt 100 watts); how/where do have it placed in your setup? (vertical, tilt, horizontal). Any issues if is not completely submerged?

If you have any images I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

pieceofreef
13 hours ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Hi all,

I have a question for you...

I'm working on setting up my tank (IM 25 lagoon); If I use the 75 watts heater (Cobalt), this fits really nice in the middle back chamber.

However, I would like to use a 100 watts instead; the problem is that this one is larger and it doesn't complete fits if placed vertical (half of the temp dial is not submerged).

If anybody is using this heater (Cobalt 100 watts); how/where do have it placed in your setup? (vertical, tilt, horizontal). Any issues if is not completely submerged?

If you have any images I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

I use the 100W in the second chamber tilted/diagonal. It's been running fine for three months even though it's only 95% submerged.

GrumpyDaddy68

Thanks, I might try that...

Anybody using ony one 75watts heater with this tank? After putting rock there is not really 25 gallons of water. I’m guessing it’s just a little bit more than 20...

1 hour ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Thanks, I might try that...

Anybody using ony one 75watts heater with this tank? After putting rock there is not really 25 gallons of water. I’m guessing it’s just a little bit more than 20...

my lagoon 25 after 20# liferock/boatload of corals and 20# sand i am only around 16-17 gallons sadly.