SaltCritters.com

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

+1 it'll grow back so just be ready with them water changes to keep it at bay.

Leaving for 12 days on monday. Better do one sunday :) hope my tank sitter can spot cyano......

Just realized you have the nanostream 6040! I know you mentioned you love it, so I'm wondering what other pumps you've run in the past? I have an MP10 that is getting old, and wouldn't mind trying something different… :)

Love it. Amazing powerhead. I will be getting more in the future. Tunze all the way. In the past I have run koralias, I also had some ecotech mp's a few years ago which are fantastic as well. The 6040 will always be my favorite from now on however.

BAD NEWS.................

I have zoanthid eating nudibranch. ALL OVER THE DAMN PLACE.

I had pulled out about 6 of them 8 days ago and gave all my zoas a dip in Coral RX.

Poor timing for me to go on vacation. I've come back now and their are more and more of them. I lost two frags and none of my zoas are open. I recently bought A TON of zoas so this could be a disaster.

Going to do another dip today in Coral RX and try to physically remove as many as I can.

Any other suggestions?!?!?!?!

Love it. Amazing powerhead. I will be getting more in the future. Tunze all the way. In the past I have run koralias, I also had some ecotech mp's a few years ago which are fantastic as well. The 6040 will always be my favorite from now on however.

I had pulled out about 6 of them 8 days ago and gave all my zoas a dip in Coral RX.

Poor timing for me to go on vacation. I've come back now and their are more and more of them. I lost two frags and none of my zoas are open. I recently bought A TON of zoas so this could be a disaster.

Going to do another dip today in Coral RX and try to physically remove as many as I can.

I've had some bad luck with Zoa's, too, but I know Bayer insect killer is used for SPS. Maybe that would help? I'm hoping someone more zoanthid-y-inclined will chime in.

Good luck!

Nick

Do you run the standing wave all the time with the 6040?

Sorry about the nudi's… see if this article is useful...

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/blog/2015/4/4/removing-zoanthid-eating-nudibranch-with-saliferts-flatworm-exit

Dip the zoas for a minute in fresh water, the nudibranchs will die. The eggs will not so you may need ot repeat the procedure weekly till they are not seen anymore. I've had them several times, you can do this.

Thanks for the encouragement. In the process of dipping with coral rx. Sooooo friggin many of them. Manually removed two egg sacks. Fingers crossed.

Do you run the standing wave all the time with the 6040?

Sorry about the nudi's see if this article is useful...

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/blog/2015/4/4/removing-zoanthid-eating-nudibranch-with-saliferts-flatworm-exit

No. Standing wave is too much for this tank. I run in 35% on for 5 seconds. Than 0% for 5 seconds. Everything loves this flow.

I wouldn't use CoralRX, I would use Bayer. It won't hurt the zoas, but it will kill the shit out of the nudibranchs, and then lightly scrub them to try and remove the eggs. I would then quarantine them in a small tank to keep them out of your display while treating them.

I wouldn't use CoralRX, I would use Bayer. It won't hurt the zoas, but it will kill the shit out of the nudibranchs, and then lightly scrub them to try and remove the eggs. I would then quarantine them in a small tank to keep them out of your display while treating them.

Coral RX is all I have at the moment. It was my last dose of it so I will see what happens from here and if not I'll check out Bayer. I don't have the funds to set up a quarantine at the moment......

When you say too much for your tank, because it's mostly LPS? Not because it may bust a seam? lol

I don't need that much flow in a 29 gallon. Maxing this thing out would be way too much flow. I only have monti cap for SPS so I dont require as much flow as an SPS heavy tank. The Euphyllia love the shit out of the current flow pattern so no need to go any higher.

Well an hour later and some serious dipping/inspection I have killed a TON of these bastards.

Manually picked off at least 10 huge ones. Saw a lot more fly off during dipping and basting. Few trochus snails and starfish unfortunately tagged along for the event.

Fingers crossed. Picking up a 65 gallon setup on..... tomorrow! When I get that bad boy set up I'll leave the zoas in the 29 and quarantine the hell of out them.

• Like 1

I had a problem with these invasive nudis. I manually removed them at night, using tweezers and a flashlight. Their population was dwindling but I could not get rid of them until a bought a 6-line wrasse...then they all disappeared.

• Like 1

I had a problem with these invasive nudis. I manually removed them at night, using tweezers and a flashlight. Their population was dwindling but I could not get rid of them until a bought a 6-line wrasse...then they all disappeared.

Was thinking about picking up a yellow coris wrasse

• Like 1

Coral RX is all I have at the moment. It was my last dose of it so I will see what happens from here and if not I'll check out Bayer. I don't have the funds to set up a quarantine at the moment......

A 5 gallon tank should be around $8-10, and a 23 watt (actual, not equivalent) cool white fluorescent bulb in an aluminum clip-on holder/reflector should be another $10 maximum, and then an air pump with an stone or a sponge filter are all you need, doesn't need to be fancy.

• Like 2

A 5 gallon tank should be around $8-10, and a 23 watt (actual, not equivalent) cool white fluorescent bulb in an aluminum clip-on holder/reflector should be another $10 maximum, and then an air pump with an stone or a sponge filter are all you need, doesn't need to be fancy.

Sounds like a perfect tank for some SPS and a Tang.

• Like 4

Well I couldnt pass up the offer for this tank.

65g drilled.

Stand

Return pump

Heater

Sump

All for $150! (Only $113 usd for my american friends)

Needless to say im in the process of planning the transfer. First i'm going to build a coast to coast overflow for this bad boy.

image_76.jpeg

• Like 5

FWIW, Bayer dip + Flatworm Exit + six line wrasse worked for me. I had them about a year ago..

The eggs are usually easy to find so I manually inspected mine after the bayer (use gloves and goggles) and removed any I saw.

Since you're in Canada, Lugol's may be more readily available and I had good luck with that also..

Cencalfishguy56

Well I couldnt pass up the offer for this tank.

65g drilled.

Stand

Return pump

Heater

Sump

All for $150! (Only $113 usd for my american friends)

Needless to say im in the process of planning the transfer. First i'm going to build a coast to coast overflow for this bad boy.

image_76.jpeg

what a steal! Can't wait to see the bad boy set up
  • Like 1

Well it wont be set up until the end of november so dont get too excited just yet!

That's still a Steal!

Congrats! Good thing it looks like u have space to place that bad boy! :)

That's still a Steal!

Congrats! Good thing it looks like u have space to place that bad boy! :)

Actually the only reason its not set up now is because we dont have the space! Meeting with a real estate agent on monday. Buying our first home. :)

• Like 2