SaltCritters.com

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Realized I haven't done an actually update of the tank in a while.

Angle FTS

image_64.jpeg

Well the tank has been running since Novermber 22,2015. We have passed the 8 month mark and are turning the corner on 9 months! Pretty exciting stuff. Tank has seen some changes and as of recent not much has changed.

Added a few more zoanthid frags, moved most of the zoas to the front right rock as not much was going on there.

image_65.jpeg

Looking forward to them growing out and covering it up.

My first SPS, The red monti cap is growing quite nice. The piece on the upper right has encrusted a little bit on the rock and I can see some solid growth.

Euphyllia have all grown by at least one head each and are doing quite well.

Xenia is exploding as always, debated on removing it but I really love xenia. It is still just staying on the one rock, hoping it stays there.

GSP is finally starting to spread, usually had much better success with it but this time its a slow grower.

No more Aiptasia finally!!!! The peppermint shrimp my girlfriend picked up was tiny and couldn't take down the aiptasia but now that he has grown quite a bit they have all disappeared.

Unknown red macro algae has been identified as Red Rose Petal. Apparently quite desirable?

All fish and inverts seem to be incredibly happy although I have not seen my emerald crab for a week or so. Noticed some bubble algae at the top of the tank as well so hopefully he is still alive and finds it.

Anyway. Thanks for looking. Going to be working on a zoanthid frag tank soon. Thinking about somehow connecting it to the main display. Ive got an extra AI Prime just lying around so the initial cost would be pretty minimal..

Stay tuned

• Like 4

Just beautiful! Looking forward to more pics and updates.

+1

Thanks guys! Will try to keep it updated every week. Currently looking for somebody to sublet our apartment. Once I get a bigger space i'm going to expand the system. Pretty excited.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Been having a crazy amount of algae on the glass as of late. I'm talking thick green, barely scrapeable algae.

Picked up a Salifert PO4 test.... and..... it reads 0.

0!

well obviously something is wrong here. I'm not huge on the testing and i've always had dumb luck but it's time to get serious here. The tank is nearing its 10 month anniversary and I want to see it continue to thrive.

any idea why it would read 0ppm?

Cencalfishguy56

Been having a crazy amount of algae on the glass as of late. I'm talking thick green, barely scrapeable algae.

Picked up a Salifert PO4 test.... and..... it reads 0.

0!

well obviously something is wrong here. I'm not huge on the testing and i've always had dumb luck but it's time to get serious here. The tank is nearing its 10 month anniversary and I want to see it continue to thrive.

any idea why it would read 0ppm?

thats weird, but no algae on rocks and sand? How many days after does it appear? I start to get a light dusting or green algae on my glass probably a week to a week and a half if I skip a water change

Wish that live stream was working for me.

I only run the stream every once and a while. I'll most likely do one tomorrow evening. I usually only get one or two people viewing it so I don't stay live that long. There are a few replays on my YouTube channel however.

• 3 weeks later...

Long time no update.

Well life has been busy and I have fallen behind on tank maintenance. Seems like I have lost my passion with this tank. Lost some zoanthids, torch coral is falling off its skeleton. Green film algae covering the glass is quite thick. Powerhead is filthy. Sump is full of detritus. It certainly is in a sad state of affair....

Having said that it's time to start getting my passion back. Going give it some love tomorrow and get back on track. The tank is 11 months old in a little under two weeks and im happy to say it will hit the one year mark with a good maintenance schedule.

Tomorrows scrubdown and water change will hopefully make things a bit happier.

Girlfriend and I are buying a house and hopefully moving in December. If all goes well the contents of this tank will be moved to a 40 breeder. Really excited.

Pics and happiness tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Well the tank got a fantastic day at the spa.

Water change, glass scraping, powerheads cleaned, return line cleaned, detritus removed from sump, detritus blown off rock with baster, glass is all wiped down and shiny.

Feels good

Threw in some new filter floss to catch all the floating crap. Hard to believe im almost at one year with this tank.

Pics when everything is cleared and happy again.

Built a small frag rack to hang on the side of the tank while I wait to set up my frag tank. Made my first frags today.

Xenia, zoas, and a superman shroom.

Pretty cool.

Live streaming right now too if anybody is interested.

• Like 3

Didnt know cyano could pop up that quick. Thanks

Oh yeah, litterally within a day it can pop up anywhere. When I dislodge cyano I then use a brine shrimp net to collect any bits out of the tank ('nutrient export') ;)

• Like 2