Top Shelf Aquatics

Sharbuckle 29/65 (Closed)

Sharbuckle

Damn! Sorry to hear about your recent losses and now Issues :(

I don't know if this would help (for future), Keep on hand a Spare heater. These do fail after some time.

I had a Heater in my 75 FW tank, It crapped out, but when it did, I didn't notice at 1st, but my Fish started dieing, reached into tank and felt a tingle, The tank had electricity in it! :eek:

Thankfully I didn't get zapped, but damn!

I agree with Mark about a controller. If there is one piece of equipment I saw fail and caused catatrophic damage (when I maintenanced tanks) it was heaters. It often happened when they did what yours did. They wouldn't turn on so then the tank owner turned them up and they stuck on cooking the tank. A tank will take a chill much better than too hot.

Sharbuckle

I agree with Mark about a controller. If there is one piece of equipment I saw fail and caused catatrophic damage (when I maintenanced tanks) it was heaters. It often happened when they did what yours did. They wouldn't turn on so then the tank owner turned them up and they stuck on cooking the tank. A tank will take a chill much better than too hot.

Gonna look into controllers. Buying a new heater today either way.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

Tank is officially 6 months old in two days. Thought i would share a picture of when it was a 16g on day one. Technically its only 3 months old in the 29 buuuut i'm gonna say its 6 months all together. Crazy to see how white and lifeless the rock was.

627.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats!!! And I agree with Dawn and Markalot. I actually run my nano tanks at 75 and my main tank at 78. I haven't seen any ill effects to running it at this temp so I wouldn't worry too much about a temp drop. I think below 70-71, you might run into some, but I don't think you'll experience anything bad at 75 or so.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

Fan is now blowing

Budget is quite small but i'm gonna go to LFS tomorrow and see what they've got for controllers. In the mean time, i've turned heater down. Put a fan on and opened some windows for a cross breeze. Girlfriend will be monitoring temp throughout the day.

Orangutran

Fan is now blowing

Budget is quite small but i'm gonna go to LFS tomorrow and see what they've got for controllers. In the mean time, i've turned heater down. Put a fan on and opened some windows for a cross breeze. Girlfriend will be monitoring temp throughout the day.

Who needs a controller when you have a GF! She can alert you thru email when there is an issue, and extra feature is that she cooks dinner too. ;)

Sharbuckle

Who needs a controller when you have a GF! She can alert you thru email when there is an issue, and extra feature is that she cooks dinner too. ;)

Haha I'm the cook in our house. I am a chef afterall. Shes a lucky gal lol.

She has told me that the temp is down to 79.9 now. Still gotta get a controller. We dont have access to the thermostat in out building so I gotta find a way to keep the house regulated.

Side note, two hermits have died, one yesterday and one today. Could the swing have done this?

Haha I'm the cook in our house. I am a chef afterall. Shes a lucky gal lol.

She has told me that the temp is down to 79.9 now. Still gotta get a controller. We dont have access to the thermostat in out building so I gotta find a way to keep the house regulated.

Side note, two hermits have died, one yesterday and one today. Could the swing have done this?

I think with the temp swings, yes, it could've impacted the hermits. While a drop here or there isn't bad, swinging up and down is probably no good. Just watch the other livestock.

reefernanoman

Gonna look into controllers. Buying a new heater today either way.

Yup, my heaters are kept in check by my apex jr. I don't want my tanks to turn into soup, which I have heard it happen many times.

Sharbuckle

Temp hovering between 78.1 and 78.6 . I try to stay at 78 so im happy with this. Only change is I added a fan. Better than the 75-82 swing.

Sharbuckle

Well temp is nice and steady. Fan trick worked. Lfs is having a buy 2 get 1 free frag sale today. Thinking I want zoas now. Gonna get apex jr in a few weeks