Cultivated Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Probably, I know some people that feed less than that, just depends on how the animals respond.

Hmm okay. I thought the fish looked good, the tank is just suffering a bit from lack of variety of food. Usually I have reef roids, variety of frozen, add element supplements, etc. Now its just Neptune Aquatics pellets. Hmm. Trying to think of a solution; mixing in some reef roids with the auto feeder, perhaps adding the element supplements into the auto?

Not as familiar with auto feeder options, I always fed wet/frozen stuff. Could your parents be bothered to drop in supplemental stuff from the fridge every couple of days?

Ahh so my light has been on full blast for the past 36 hours and the tank getting to 83*. Since when I was at home I turned the light to "on" instead of auto and forgot to put it back.

Anything that needs to be done besides just putting it back on auto?

Ahh so my light has been on full blast for the past 36 hours and the tank getting to 83*. Since when I was at home I turned the light to "on" instead of auto and forgot to put it back.

I might give it a few cloudy (short) days to give the corals some time to rest and recover.

• Like 2

Just catching up with your tank Harry. Its been a crazy hectic summer for me but it looks like you were diligently taking care of your tank. And hey, good luck in college!

Just don't do that with your heater. I always worry that's exactly what I'm going to do LOL. Double and triple check...no harm in being a bit paranoid with these systems :).
  • Like 1

Harold.

Braaap! How goes life?

Just don't do that with your heater. I always worry that's exactly what I'm going to do LOL. Double and triple check...no harm in being a bit paranoid with these systems :).

I couldn't do it with my heater if I tried! Neotherm is set to 78 and apex will cut power to it at 81. So even if I set it to "on" on my apex it will stay at 78

I might give it a few cloudy (short) days to give the corals some time to rest and recover.

So my Apex Fusion was throwing a fit so I just popped it back into auto (normal). Hope it's fine

• Like 2

I couldn't do it with my heater if I tried! Neotherm is set to 78 and apex will cut power to it at 81. So even if I set it to "on" on my apex it will stay at 78

Ahhh...gotchya. I power all of mine through the apex so my choice is ON OFF or AUTO. I always worry I'll put the heater to ON and my tank will cook. Although not so much with my new heater. The heater I had before was untrustworthy. I have a neotherm now that the thermostat should be correct on it. But still...I like to worry :D.

• Like 1

Since my issue with the lighting, my pH has been down about .2 from usual. It was 8-8.3, now 7.8-8.2. Weird!

Ahhh...gotchya. I power all of mine through the apex so my choice is ON OFF or AUTO. I always worry I'll put the heater to ON and my tank will cook. Although not so much with my new heater. The heater I had before was untrustworthy. I have a neotherm now that the thermostat should be correct on it. But still...I like to worry :D.

Neotherms seem pretty darn good. I've had them on all my tanks with no issues, they seem rugged and reliable. I once burned through silicon tubing in my water change container when I left it on though, so there is NOT some form of overheat protection lol.

Oh I also checked Allalinity and it was still at 9.3 so dosing is going well. No calcium or magnesium test though!

Biggest worries:

1. Aptasia. Have like 4 in one area that used to be 1. Aptasia X has no effect and they pull back into a cave so I can't access them.

2. Geladium. It's annoying. But corals don't mind it so not a big deal, it keeps low to the rock so is not a big issue.

3. Feeding diet. I'm just doing pellets with auto feeder, very little variety.

4. One clam doesn't look good. The one I've had for 15 months or so- came off the rock. Inspected foot and had a lot of pods on it- yikes! Freshwater dipped and it looks better but wouldn't be surprised if health declined

5. Need bulbs. Christ those are expensive. Can't pop $120 atm

• Like 1

Go fund for Harry bulbs....

Ha exactly a GoFundMe for 3 Coral+ 2 Blue+ and a Purple+ :lol:

Hows college??

Hard! Work hard play hard. The sciences are really advanced compared to what I was doing in HS, spanish and calculus not so bad.

• Like 4

Awesome Harry!

I enjoyed Science and Math (in HS.)

Unfortunately, to a degree, I did not attend College :(

I made a choice to Go Active Army instead. TBH, IDK if I would go back and change my decisions.

IF! I did go to College, I would have gotten my Nursing Degree. Either E.R or O.R.

Have fun Harry! Make these the best years of your time! OH! and don't forget to STUDY! And PARTY! when time allows ;)

This is all a great Life even for you! Enjoy it while u can :)

• Like 1

Don't forget to do as many internships and as much networking as you can while still in college. As soon as you graduate, you kind of get the rug pulled out from under you and you'll definitely want those experiences and people already lined up.

Also grad schools only care about the money you're bringing with you, so practice getting grants for research projects as an undergrad.

• Like 2

The best thing about college is the feeling of independence. And all the social activities too, of course :D. I actually enjoyed going to class and learning. Wish I could do it all over again.

• Like 2

I used my AP credits to get out of all the intro science and math classes. Best decision ever. I heard these intro sciences are harder than classes for your major.

That's what I did, no 101's for me! The 202s are hard lol AP doesn't really seem like "college level" anymore

• Like 1

Another concern as of seeing the tank today: algae on frag racks and SPS lightening. I think SPS lightening if from when I left the lights on for 3 days... That should recover. I gave my Dad a more complex feeding schedule and took off the auto feeder w pellets

Every day cube

Every other day 2 large pinches reef roids

Weekly squirt Mg squirt K

• Like 1

Awesome Harry!

I enjoyed Science and Math (in HS.)

Unfortunately, to a degree, I did not attend College :(

I made a choice to Go Active Army instead. TBH, IDK if I would go back and change my decisions.

IF! I did go to College, I would have gotten my Nursing Degree. Either E.R or O.R.

Have fun Harry! Make these the best years of your time! OH! and don't forget to STUDY! And PARTY! when time allows ;)

This is all a great Life even for you! Enjoy it while u can :)

I will! Thanks :)

Harry, when I said this "This is all a great Life even for you! Enjoy it while u can :)"

I meant to say This is all a great Life EVENT for you! Enjoy it while u can :)

This indicates a heater failure, correct? Neotherm is set to 79* but the apex was cutting power to it when the tank got to 82*. It shouldn't have been on at that temperature?

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-08%20at%2010.19.

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350