SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

No idea. All corals and fish and anemones look great. So do clams. But some pest algae has become rampant in a week...

IMG_2608_zpsm79dpjhl.jpg

IMG_2612_zps8qdaarvz.jpg

Oh no! Sorry, Harry :(

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like it might be dinos.

Yep. Tank killas

Oh man...didn't like reading that title. But I don't think you have a tank crash on your hands. Just repercussions from the pellet feeding and light left on. Next time you go home scrub those rocks. And make sure your family knows not to overfeed. I wouldn't do anything drastic like adding more carbon or GFO. But you may have to go home every weekend to get this taken care of.

• Like 2

not dinos.

What then. Also brown goo on that green algae.

oh man, that doesn't look good. you mentioned a few weeks ago you were noticing algae due to pellets. but you told your parents to switch it up to frozen now right? i wonder what is causing hte nutrient spike.

Changes it back to cube every other day with two pinches of reef roids. Thats low feeding compared to what I was doing before :(

not dinos

theres a mat of gha variant under there, allowed to spread and sink into the rock. didn't happen within 2 days for sure

anything that complexes with them as a community is the result of slow allowed buildup, hand removal and holdfast removal should fix ya right up. most wont, they'll pull the rock and start down the exact same path with new.

Oh man...didn't like reading that title. But I don't think you have a tank crash on your hands. Just repercussions from the pellet feeding and light left on. Next time you go home scrub those rocks. And make sure your family knows not to overfeed. I wouldn't do anything drastic like adding more carbon or GFO. But you may have to go home every weekend to get this taken care of.

Yeah.... I think its light left on for 4 days played a HUGE role in wrecking the stability of the system. Roger on going home more to fight it.

not dinos

theres a mat of gha variant under there, allowed to spread and sink into the rock. didn't happen within 2 days for sure

anything that complexes with them as a community is the result of slow allowed buildup, hand removal and holdfast removal should fix ya right up. most wont, they'll pull the rock and start down the exact same path with new.

Really? Would be AWESOME if not dinos. I can fight hair algae with snails and cutting nutrients

• Like 1

algae is substrate that doesn't disallow other invaders, like cyano/monerans, diatoms, other algae etc

coralline and coral flesh are algae and benthic growth excluders. it means your algae is growing on top of algae that was allowed to seat in vs be removed upon first detection

algae is an algae including substrate.. the first sign of invasion the rocks needed to be hand guided out, independent of anything measured in the water. where algae is allowed to grow it selects for more algae through various means, food trapping is one.

If snails will work that's fine, but again the invasion is here not due to missing snails but due to purposefully not removing it in a way that destroys holdfasts\

if nutrients or grazers work is still up to variation, but holdfast removal doesn't vary.

• Like 1

algae allows substrate that doesn't disallow other invaders, monerans, diatoms etc

coralline and coral flesh are algae and benthic growth excluders

algae is an algae including substrate, the first sign of invasion the rocks needed to be hand guided out, independent of anything measured in the water.

If snails will work that's fine, but again the invasion is here not due to missing snails but due to purposefully not removing it in a way that destroys holdfasts

First two lines I don't understand. Third and forth... too late. A week ago I didn't notice anything and photos were from yesterday night. Nothing seems to have died.

it means if you hand clean the rocks correctly, the rooted part of the plants w be removed as soon as you are done...vs waiting for a water action to hopefully work, while the invasion spreads. nutrients should be set to what corals need and grazers do algae prevention, not removal/ most will not choose this, they'll take the invaded condition.

it means if you hand clean the rocks correctly, the rooted part of the plants w be removed as soon as you are done...vs waiting for a water action to hopefully work, while the invasion spreads.

Theres a lot of that algae.... All over. Not sure if I can remove it manually hence why I was considering dropping nutrients to 0

• 2 weeks later...

Hola! Good new and bad news. Bad news is that Lucinda, my first clam I got more than a year ago (perhaps a year and a half?) passed away :(. I am thinking it was a combination of the changes caused by me going to college, old bulbs, and bad feeding. I have since changed feeding, new bulbs, new resin, and done more regular water changes/ maintenance- the algae is clearing up and tank is looking better and better every time I see it! Corals are getting BIG. Fragging time big- broke up some of the red cap that was attacking the acros as well as had to move around some of my LPS that were stinging each other.

But I'm thrilled the algae is dying and at the colors I'm getting out of my acros. Ill post some iPhone photos tonight and then hopefully this week get some proper DSLR photos to show some happy colorful pieces of the ocean.

For now, things are looking much better :happy::wub:

All the algae in the photos at the top of the page is dead/dying- no more bubbles either!

• Like 5
Cencalfishguy56

Hola! Good new and bad news. Bad news is that Lucinda, my first clam I got more than a year ago (perhaps a year and a half?) passed away :(. I am thinking it was a combination of the changes caused by me going to college, old bulbs, and bad feeding. I have since changed feeding, new bulbs, new resin, and done more regular water changes/ maintenance- the algae is clearing up and tank is looking better and better every time I see it! Corals are getting BIG. Fragging time big- broke up some of the red cap that was attacking the acros as well as had to move around some of my LPS that were stinging each other.

But I'm thrilled the algae is dying and at the colors I'm getting out of my acros. Ill post some iPhone photos tonight and then hopefully this week get some proper DSLR photos to show some happy colorful pieces of the ocean.

For now, things are looking much better :happy::wub:

All the algae in the photos at the top of the page is dead/dying- no more bubbles either!

glad to see things starting to shape up! Where the pics at harry?!

glad to see things starting to shape up! Where the pics at harry?!

All the green algae is dead! Theres some brown of it left but that'll be gone within a week :)

1BF9CD5B-F415-4904-9F89-C9E6AC1A29F9_zps

• Like 7
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350