Cultivated Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

It depends. If it starts killing your corals from the second you dose it, then yes, it it likely killing the dinoflagellates. If your corals are fine, then no, it will have no effect.

Haha BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Worth a shot

Not really.

I know the product sounds like utter bull. But the photos people are posting on the Vibrant threads are very promising. I have low nutrients already, not much more I can do besides hope for the best and try new things :)

So is it just basically carbon doseing with added bacteria? Dosnt the bacteria already exist in the tank?

I believe its supposed to be special backer that outcompetes the "bad stuff". Which doesn't make sense. But why not try it

Ordered 2 mesh filter socks after I read a thread on R2R about how when you clean mesh socks by rubbing them together it makes the mesh shred and holes become smaller. Hence they clog much faster, and stop filtering as water overflows. I remember getting 7 days out of the socks but now have under 3 days and when I pick up the socks, the water doesn't even drain! So went to bulkreefsupply and they're on their way.

*"In conclusion, I am now convinced that my washing routine of mesh socks by rubbing fabric to fabric caused the fibers of the mesh to widen, and thereby reducing the size of the holes to filter the water. What was once a 200 micron filter sock, that lasted 4 - 5 days, was now much smaller, causing it to overflow within 1 1/2 days or so."

*Redfishbluefish, "Sock-ology: My Filter Sock Experiences" Reef2Reef, 2/26/17

I also ordered 24" x 60" white gloss vinyl to possibly wrap my sump in when I finally decide to take it out and clean it!

I believe its supposed to be special backer that outcompetes the "bad stuff". Which doesn't make sense. But why not try it

Because science proves that stuff is a crock of shit. Like Ben said. If your corals are alive then it won't out compete the dinos and other bad algae.

Because science proves that stuff is a crock of shit. Like Ben said. If your corals are alive then it won't out compete the dinos and other bad algae.

I haven't seen anyone do a side by side comparison of identical tanks with pest algaes, one treated with vibrant and the control not. Until then, I have not seen anything to disprove it- nothing to confirm it works besides random people making wild claims their tanks are better, but nothing to disprove. Even if its just the vinegar carbon dosing helping people, figured I would give it a shot. Im not arguing. Their claims seem to all be bullshit. But some random anecdotes seem positive!

Mikeymikemike

If the cultures of bacteria are active and grow, then I do see this possibly working.

I've seen products like continuum bacter clean M work. I've also seen and personally use KZ zeobak and coral snow together to give my aquascape a bacterial clean.

Bacteria is the backbone of our aquariums. Do not underestimate their power.

Manual removal also helps a lot. Try an electric toothbrush to scrub your rocks. Leave a patch or two of algae untouched in an easy to reach place and see if the bacteria does anything to that. Then you could at least tell if it was the product or your work doing the job.

• Like 2

If the cultures of bacteria are active and grow, then I do see this possibly working.

I've seen products like continuum bacter clean M work. I've also seen and personally use KZ zeobak and coral snow together to give my aquascape a bacterial clean.

Bacteria is the backbone of our aquariums. Do not underestimate their power.

Manual removal also helps a lot. Try an electric toothbrush to scrub your rocks. Leave a patch or two of algae untouched in an easy to reach place and see if the bacteria does anything to that. Then you could at least tell if it was the product or your work doing the job.

Good ideas. You trust an electric toothbrush submerged in your tank? That makes me nervous!

Mikeymikemike

Good ideas. You trust an electric toothbrush submerged in your tank? That makes me nervous!

The oral B brushes sharged with induction and are watertight from what I remember. 1.5v of toothbrush action wont cause any harm from my experience.

if not, just go the old fashioned manual way.

Ah Harry, I am sorry that your tank is going through a rough patch. That is never fun.:-( Hang in there, it happens to all of us sooner or later but you can prevail.

I'm sorry to hear that Harry :(

The corals should be able to handle a period with no light and bounce back, and it might help with the algae too.

I've had good luck with AiptasiaRX, although not on little ones. They tend to close up before the eat it.

Ah Harry, I am sorry that your tank is going through a rough patch. That is never fun.:-( Hang in there, it happens to all of us sooner or later but you can prevail.

Thanks Vlangel. I took out my camera last night, which always make me admire the intricacy of corals.

I'm sorry to hear that Harry :(

The corals should be able to handle a period with no light and bounce back, and it might help with the algae too.

I've had good luck with AiptasiaRX, although not on little ones. They tend to close up before the eat it.

My dad, seeing I'm upset, offered to have our really good LFS come take a look. Hopefully they'll do the aptasia and give me any advice they can.

Sorry harry. You can run the ATI without the fans, and buy a cheap RCA variable power supply off Amazon, it has various plug ends of which one will fit. Also has a variable voltage setting so you can vary the speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-Corporation-AH30BR-RCA-Universal/dp/B009O2HUOE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478957163&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+power+supply

Markalot- will order with 1 day shipping as soon as my local LFS opens and I can check to see if they have it. My bulbs are new, they've been running with no fans for a week I estimate so I hope I didn't just burn em and lose $120!

• Like 1

Markalot- will order with 1 day shipping as soon as my local LFS opens and I can check to see if they have it. My bulbs are new, they've been running with no fans for a week I estimate so I hope I didn't just burn em and lose $120!

A lot of T5 fixtures don't have good fans. You might take 10 or 20 days off the bulb life but I wouldn't sweat it.

I think Target or Walmart carries the variable supply as well. Big yellow voltage selector on the top.

• Like 1

Looks awesome Harry, me thinks you worry too much. :D

I failed on my first and second attempts due to worry and over correction. So far you are doing near perfect.

• Like 5

O my Harry, I was expecting dismal disaster, which your tank is no where near. In fact I think your tank looks great. I love the RFAs! They looknso snuggly and colorful.

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350