Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

My new acros are browning out. i suspect it is because my tank is getting up to 83 to 84 during the day while I am at work and back to 79 during the night when I am home and AC is back on. I have a fan in my sump but it's not enough. Can't wait for Fall weather to come. I dont want to run a chiller. I tried putting in frozen ice bottles but those melt within 30 mins and temperature goes up again.

I liked this for the can't wait for fall statement - not the rest :( is there any equipment you can turn off in your sump? Is there a big fan you can place near the DT? What temp does your house get to?

I liked this for the can't wait for fall statement - not the rest :( is there any equipment you can turn off in your sump? Is there a big fan you can place near the DT? What temp does your house get to?

the tank temperature pretty much match the house temperature. we have lots of windows and it creates a greenhouse effect even with shades down. i have one of those tower fan next to the tank already =(.

Does the fan in the sump blow across the water, or does it just blow warm air out of the sump area?

the fan in the sump blows across the water. it's 4 computer fans, i probably need to upgrade to something stronger.

You coulda ran my chiller temporarily! Since we moved the sump to the basement the tank never gets above 80 even with the upstairs being way warmer.

thanks for the offer! but too lazy to set it up and my cabinet is kinda full with dosing container and tons of additives.

My new acros are browning out. i suspect it is because my tank is getting up to 83 to 84 during the day while I am at work and back to 79 during the night when I am home and AC is back on. I have a fan in my sump but it's not enough. Can't wait for Fall weather to come. I dont want to run a chiller. I tried putting in frozen ice bottles but those melt within 30 mins and temperature goes up again.

I have a tower fan but my Apex will turn off my lights one at a time if the temperature increases. Between the T5s, LEDs and Fuge light, it makes a difference for sure.

the tank temperature pretty much match the house temperature. we have lots of windows and it creates a greenhouse effect even with shades down. i have one of those tower fan next to the tank already =(.

the fan in the sump blows across the water. it's 4 computer fans, i probably need to upgrade to something stronger.

I'd recommend something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FXOFO7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474219353&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=Clip+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=41gy02yDIyL&ref=plSrch

I got mine from Amazon Prime Now and it was delivered the same day :)

I used one of these blowing over two 30 gal tubs in the garage and they stayed right at 78 while the temp in the garage was over 85.

Best $16 I could have spent. It's small and silent.

• Like 3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FXOFO7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474219353&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=Clip+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=41gy02yDIyL&ref=plSrch

I used one of these blowing over two 30 gal tubs in the garage and they stayed right at 78 while the temp in the garage was over 85.

+1 I have that same fan. Going to order another one in case I need it for my Reefer XL425.

I have a tower fan but my Apex will turn off my lights one at a time if the temperature increases. Between the T5s, LEDs and Fuge light, it makes a difference for sure.

yea, my Apex will turn off the fuge light above 82 degrees. But I dont have my LEDs hooked up to my Apex since they run on their own controller.

I may have to get that...thanks for the link!

• Like 2

Sad to hear about the sps

sps browning out happens when zoox production increases. This will happen in an environment that provides them enough nutrients to do so (nitrates, excess trace elements, phosphates). Temperature may play a part in the metabolic process and reproduction, but it has been observed to denature over time causing zoox expulsion rather than growth. Something to consider is that temperature may not be the sole cause of corals browing out. It may induce stress but at 26-28*c these fluctuations are normal for acros that will sometimes breach the water and are exposed to 30*C+ air in tidal pools.

Another angle to consider is nutrient. it may be an issue with nutrients and something worth investigating.

Stability of temperature will help but as I have seen in the past, corals are very resilient.

Sometimes acros may brown out too far and not come back at all... For now a brown acro is still a healthy acro, so colours may come back as temperature stabilizes. If they don't, then you should consider other variables.

• Like 1

Thanks mikeymikemike. I got a bigger fan for the sump and replaced a nitrate factory sponge with marinepure biospheres. Hoping to see coloration in the next month or two. It is also possible my light doesn't have good coverage so from the top the color is decent but from the side, its dull.

• Like 2

Thanks mikeymikemike. I got a bigger fan for the sump and replaced a nitrate factory sponge with marinepure biospheres. Hoping to see coloration in the next month or two. It is also possible my light doesn't have good coverage so from the top the color is decent but from the side, its dull.

I am willing to bet there is not enough light spread. Everything else looks great but again a 20" light on a 48" tank is pushing it big time.

Regardless be happy with what you have! I think you should let the stuff that does well grow and in a year you will be blown away. :D

• Like 3

I am willing to bet there is not enough light spread. Everything else looks great but again a 20" light on a 48" tank is pushing it big time.

Regardless be happy with what you have! I think you should let the stuff that does well grow and in a year you will be blown away. :D

but the marketing material says it has reflectors that mimic metal halides! hahaha. I do have all the acros right under the two spot lights so intensity may be there but the coverage is probably not. I also took off the lens diffusers cuz it took away too much light and made everything look bad. $50 wasted.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the heat issues! I've been in the same boat here. We don't have air conditioning and we've been having our handful of really hot days. Its 91 here today, so my tank has been sitting at a steady 82 degrees, even with the clip on fan running over the sump. It used to spike up to 84 before I added the fan, so I bet that clip on fan you got will help quite a bit. I have the exact one that was linked to on Amazon.

That photo of your RBTA was stunning! I love how its staying all bubbly for you! And that foster dog is adorable! I don't think I could foster because I'd want to keep everything.

• Like 1

unfortunately, not so great. Acros still dull color and my goniporas are melting, including a hardy one that I had for over 2 years now...

:(:(:(

I am suppose to do water change today but may not get to it since I will probably spent rest of the night playing with new foster puppy. It's going to be sooo hard not to keep this little guy!

29927884695_5f22ce2569_z.jpg

:):):)

• Like 1

unfortunately, not so great. Acros still dull color and my goniporas are melting, including a hardy one that I had for over 2 years now...

I'm really sorry to hear that mate :(. Upside is I'm sure you will be prepared for next time if anything like this happens again. Heat can be a real pain, I'm glad it's not something I need to think about too much where I am.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear that mate :(. Upside is I'm sure you will be prepared for next time if anything like this happens again. Heat can be a real pain, I'm glad it's not something I need to think about too much where I am.

I dont think it's the heat anymore...not sure what it is now. blah. maybe nutrients are too low? i do have cyano on the sandbed though...

• Like 1

Long time since I have been on this forum!

Tank looks real nice in that FTS you posted a few weeks ago. Sorry to hear about the heat issues.. I was having the same problem, but started running AC. Your tanks are always so nice, everything may turn back around and look great.

The puppy is adorable!

I dont think it's the heat anymore...not sure what it is now. blah. maybe nutrients are too low? i do have cyano on the sandbed though...

Maybe the nutrients are too high then? Particularly if you are having Cyano issues. I have cyano on the sand also, dosing vinegar really helps fight it off, I'm hoping to completely eradicate it over time as the nutrients drop off with weekly water changes. Switching to NSW and RODI has been a saving grace for me on the cyano situation.

• Like 1