Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

Hmm...yesterday butterfly fish was eating and everything good. Today heavy breathing and not eating. We had a cleaning crew come in today to deep clean the house. I wonder if something got into the water. The other tanks are fine though....

Will do a big water change today and prazipro in case it's internal parasite that surfaced after a week in QT?

lol I just found this thread after following your picos and nano, took me long enough! Its looking great :D

Thanks!

That BTA is gorgeous!.

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear about the butterfly :(. Is it the only fish that's effected? It's possible that the cleaners used an ammonia based glass cleaner (most do), they could have used that near the tank. Have you done any water tests?

That BTA is gorgeous!.

Oh no! I'm really sorry to hear about the butterfly :(. Is it the only fish that's effected? It's possible that the cleaners used an ammonia based glass cleaner (most do), they could have used that near the tank. Have you done any water tests?

other fish are fine but the other tanks have large water volume. I have done Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. All checked out. I also just realized that I am NOT running carbon in the butterfly tank since I moved most of the coral out. I just dropped a bag of Chemipure Blue in the tank. Butterfly is now lying completely on its side....

other fish are fine but the other tanks have large water volume. I have done Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. All checked out. I also just realized that I am NOT running carbon in the butterfly tank since I moved most of the coral out. I just dropped a bag of Chemipure Blue in the tank. Butterfly is now lying completely on its side....

If you have an air pump laying around I highly recommend adding a bubbler. This could be oxygen starvation also. Carbon or chemipure will definitely help with contaminants in the water if there are any.

• Like 1

If you have an air pump laying around I highly recommend adding a bubbler. This could be oxygen starvation also. Carbon or chemipure will definitely help with contaminants in the water if there are any.

added bubbler. i have a whisper 20. good call.

• Like 1

added bubbler. i have a whisper 20. good call.

I hope he pulls through. If it is oxygen starvation you should start seeing an improvement fairly rapidly.

• Like 2

I hope he pulls through. If it is oxygen starvation you should start seeing an improvement fairly rapidly.

I think he's too far gone. Just did 50% water change. He's struggling really hard. It pains me to watch this. He's floating upside down, then a jerk, then tries to right himself before falling on its side... sigh. i have failed this fish.

I'm really sorry to hear dude :(. The humane way would be to chill a bowl of salt water in the freezer with ice cubes in it and put the fish straight into that. If it can't right itself then as you say, it is probably too far gone.

• Like 1
reeferbrownies

Sorry about the fish :(

One day once I graduate college Ill be able to afford such a nice tank, those tangs look so good

quick question, what stores are you going to for livestock and coral?

• Like 1

Mourning for the fish is over. I will be draining the Spec V this weekend, cleaning it out, and making it a QT tank for the next fish.

One day once I graduate college Ill be able to afford such a nice tank, those tangs look so good

quick question, what stores are you going to for livestock and coral?

Right now I go to Xzotic Aquatic by Milwaukee and Touhy because it's closest to me. Before Xzotic opened, I frequent Aquapros by Glen Ellyn a lot.

• Like 1

Today, I went to my fav LFS (wont name them). Sadly, their display tanks have an ich outbreak despite them telling me they quarantine all their fish before putting them up for sale in their display. I am pretty disappointed. I saw corals that I would have purchased, but I just walked out of the store. I know they probably run their coral system separate from their fish but I just lost faith in the store. Bummer.

Went to two other LFS and picked up another yellow gorgonian =). Smaller than my first one and $35 but it's not something I find everyday and will put it in the nano Evo. Also picked up a bunch of snails for the Reefer and Evo and the cutest little pom pom crab for the Evo.

How's the frogspawn?

And brown Kat?

Frogspawn is doing good. It was the only coral I cared to move to the Reefer when the Evo had paly toxin poisoning =P. The Kat is indestructible. It's still kicking it in the Evo.

• Like 2