Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

i dont want to drive to sf :3

hahaha that is why I never go. Also I can't parallel park. I've been forced to attempt it in SF. Each time it went very poorly and I only succeeded because each time the person parked in front of me left.

• Like 1

Read this entire thread in anatomy and i gotta say, 1. Freakin love that tank 2. San diego is the best lol B) and 3. Ive always wanted to go to UCSD, great marine bio program and right across from birch :wub: definitely following this

• Like 1

Read this entire thread in anatomy and i gotta say, 1. Freakin love that tank 2. San diego is the best lol B) and 3. Ive always wanted to go to UCSD, great marine bio program and right across from birch :wub: definitely following this

Thanks! San Diego is awesome B) I love it here. I'm going to visit Birch next week!

Are you a college student?

Thanks! San Diego is awesome B) I love it here. I'm going to visit Birch next week!

Are you a college student?

God I wish, nope I'm a sophomore in hs lol

oh is it already finals week? that's a bummer. good luck with that. was going to see if you ever went to aquaforest, i wanted to grab a 45p but that would have required a willing participant with a car.

but honestly what i want is an 18x14x12 (lwh) tank thats of similar quality to ADA. Every custom thank I've ever bought has been marred with microscratches that bug the crap out of me

i dont want to drive to sf :3

hahaha that is why I never go. Also I can't parallel park. I've been forced to attempt it in SF. Each time it went very poorly and I only succeeded because each time the person parked in front of me left.

Even though I live in Berkeley and have heard amazing things about Aqua Forest, I have still never even been in the 6 years that I've lived here because I hate driving in San Francisco. I have become quite the pro at parallel parking since moving to Berkeley because that's really almost all the parking we have, but dealing with San Francisco mess is a whole other ball game. Just not worth the stress. I only usually drive to San Francisco in the evenings when traffic isn't as bad to go out to dinner or for drinks/dancing with friends. For fish stores, I stay over in the east bay and fight the slightly less bad traffic :lol:

God I wish, nope I'm a sophomore in hs lol

Ah, you got time to get in! :P

When browsing live-plants while suffering from insomnia, feel free to tell me if you ever see Rhipocephalus phoenix in stock. ;)

The one time I ordered some they forgot it :tears:

If I do see it in stock though, I'll let you know!

Even though I live in Berkeley and have heard amazing things about Aqua Forest, I have still never even been in the 6 years that I've lived here because I hate driving in San Francisco. I have become quite the pro at parallel parking since moving to Berkeley because that's really almost all the parking we have, but dealing with San Francisco mess is a whole other ball game. Just not worth the stress. I only usually drive to San Francisco in the evenings when traffic isn't as bad to go out to dinner or for drinks/dancing with friends. For fish stores, I stay over in the east bay and fight the slightly less bad traffic :lol:

The 2 times of "worst traffic in my life" have both been in SF. Once a 1 hr drive turned into a 4 hr drive.

The other time, last summer, I was driving with my coworker and we were stuff in terrible traffic, in an hour we had gone 1-1.5 blocks. We both had to go to the bathroom so we pulled over, walked through the cars to get to a coffee shop across the street, went to the bathroom (there was a line for the ladies), then walked back over to our car and we hadn't lost our spot.

For my friends, SF is always considered too far, we'd go out to San Jose instead

• Like 2

Where AFA is, the traffic isn't bad. Plus it's close to the japan town parking lot so there's generally adequate parking and japanese stuff could be a plus if you're a weeaboo or have jaundice. In which case, haiiii.

but otherwise I don't think AFA is worth visiting at all. Besides the tanks, it's pretty lame. I have an empty tank fetish so I go every once in a while.

Ah, you got time to get in! :P

The one time I ordered some they forgot it :tears:

If I do see it in stock though, I'll let you know!

The 2 times of "worst traffic in my life" have both been in SF. Once a 1 hr drive turned into a 4 hr drive.

The other time, last summer, I was driving with my coworker and we were stuff in terrible traffic, in an hour we had gone 1-1.5 blocks. We both had to go to the bathroom so we pulled over, walked through the cars to get to a coffee shop across the street, went to the bathroom (there was a line for the ladies), then walked back over to our car and we hadn't lost our spot.

For my friends, SF is always considered too far, we'd go out to San Jose instead

Yeah I've totally done the 1 hour to go a block deal in SF before. Not remotely pleasant and I do not have patience for it so I get pretty angry :lol:

Where AFA is, the traffic isn't bad. Plus it's close to the japan town parking lot so there's generally adequate parking and japanese stuff could be a plus if you're a weeaboo or have jaundice. In which case, haiiii.

but otherwise I don't think AFA is worth visiting at all. Besides the tanks, it's pretty lame. I have an empty tank fetish so I go every once in a while.

Good to know! Its been quite a while since I've been to Japan town. I'm personally more partial to China town. Its got a bit more character and its fun to walk the main strip and look in all the crazy shops. Japan town is a bit too quiet. That does make parking easier though! Someday I'll make the rounds of the couple SF LFS. For now I'm totally content with my Aquatic Collection and Aquarium Concepts trips :)

gulfsurfer101

That website is kinda meh imo! Everything is always out of stock. Everything that's in stock I'm pretty sure I can find locally if I had time to hit a few spot wading or on a kyak, which I need to get someday! It's been a while I've seen nips out the lounge! I don't go in there much after the site changed format a few years back. It's like you have to hunt it down and I'm too lazy for all that!

True, there's actually a store over there I was supposed to go visit. Forgot which one

Eh, when I get back to the bay idk if i'll include SF in my LFS visits, we'll see

Yeah I've totally done the 1 hour to go a block deal in SF before. Not remotely pleasant and I do not have patience for it so I get pretty angry :lol:

Good to know! Its been quite a while since I've been to Japan town. I'm personally more partial to China town. Its got a bit more character and its fun to walk the main strip and look in all the crazy shops. Japan town is a bit too quiet. That does make parking easier though! Someday I'll make the rounds of the couple SF LFS. For now I'm totally content with my Aquatic Collection and Aquarium Concepts trips :)

Yeah I'm glad that time I wasn't in a rush! Even as we left the city we still were in more traffic in the east bay and ended up stopping for dinner at some random place off the highway in Alameda haha

I haven't been to Aquarium Concepts in forever. I've ran into the new owner a few times in my part of the bay, but I haven't been to the store since the change in ownership, how is it?

its in Vista should be a good meeting. If your without a ride reach out on Sdreeefs Plenty of people will be heading north and are willing to carpool.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1568645066793937/

I might ask. Kinda hesitant since I don't really know anyone. But then if I don't go to a meeting, I'll never meet anyone

That website is kinda meh imo! Everything is always out of stock. Everything that's in stock I'm pretty sure I can find locally if I had time to hit a few spot wading or on a kyak, which I need to get someday! It's been a while I've seen nips out the lounge! I don't go in there much after the site changed format a few years back. It's like you have to hunt it down and I'm too lazy for all that!

For this time of year, that's normal. Once spring hits they have everything :wub:

I think nips crawls out occasionally, when he thinks of weird comments to post

A guy from Turkey just joined NR with the username "YOSHİİ"...

Awk. At least he has a nice tank :lol:

• Like 2

True, there's actually a store over there I was supposed to go visit. Forgot which one

ocean aquarium or 6th ave? both are atrocities and highly recommended by me. Just bring pepper spray.

sup gulfie

• Like 1

ocean aquarium or 6th ave? both are atrocities and highly recommended by me. Just bring pepper spray.

Oh, no, not an aquarium store. But yes those are terrible!! 6th is the worst, it's basically fish cruelty

I haven't been to Aquarium Concepts in forever. I've ran into the new owner a few times in my part of the bay, but I haven't been to the store since the change in ownership, how is it?

A guy from Turkey just joined NR with the username "YOSHİİ"...

Awk. At least he has a nice tank :lol:

I actually haven't met the new owner. I don't go in there enough anymore, and they have a ton of employees. Honestly, its really about the same. Seems like the new owner pretty much took over and kept it running the same way. They haven't remodeled anything and the stock seems to be similar. I've always thought they had a good fish system and a nice selection of fish, which is one of the reasons I'll go there. Back when Aquatic Collection and Atlantis only had a handful of fish, I started going to Aquarium Concepts for fish. Now I just pop in once and a while to see if they have anything really cool. The coral selection can definitely be hit or miss, but they sometimes have nice pieces. They're the only place around that regularly stocks live ghost shrimp, which is another reason I go and then they do have the largest selection of live rock and sand and dry goods. Oh and they have so much space that they have tons of tanks, so if you want to see certain tank sizes in person, its a good place to browse. Definitely pros and cons to that store, so I go in for certain things :)

I noticed the new YOSHii and was very confused for a moment. I didn't know you could have the same username, just with the caps changed.

Yeah they have some oddball stuff sometimes. And I believe they are the largest NorCal store. Last time I went they still had the giant column tank going.

They're the only place I've seen yellow cukes

It's not caps, the last two letters are characters that look like "i"s.

I was really confused too! :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah they have some oddball stuff sometimes. And I believe they are the largest NorCal store. Last time I went they still had the giant column tank going.

They're the only place I've seen yellow cukes

It's not caps, the last two letters are characters that look like "i"s.

I was really confused too! :lol:

Oh yeah, I did forget that they got rid of that MASSIVE column tank. Other than that, the store looks the same as it has for years. Yeah, I believe they do have the largest square footage, so they can have tons of dry goods and tanks. Oh, actually, the new Neptune store might be as big if not bigger. Its just more broken up, but they have a pretty good amount of space now and quite a few tanks and stands on hand to look at. They're just such a long drive for me! Aquarium Concepts is usually like 45 minutes for me with light traffic, whereas Neptune is generally an hour and 15 minutes with some traffic.

Oh! That explains a lot because just changing the caps seemed like it shouldn't work. Well how confusing!

The new neptune store is a lot bigger than the old one, but I'm pretty sure Concepts is still twice as big. I've only been to the new Neptune's store 2 or 3 times, it's so out of the way for me, I rarely drive past Milpitas. It looks awesome, although it still gets crazy hot and humid.

Concepts is the longest drive for me, especially if there's traffic on the way back.

Yeah it's kinda weird :huh:

Since I don't have pics of the tank yet,

I'm currently chillin at the beach waiting for my algae class to start B)

2016-03-16%2011.05.36_1.jpg

• Like 10
gulfsurfer101

sup gulfie

Nips! Good to hear from you sir!

Yoshi, that shot of the pier looks relaxing! I'd love to make a west coast pilgrimage. Of course traveling 20+hrs just to go to the beach when there's one 20 minutes away sounds kind of ludicrous!

The new neptune store is a lot bigger than the old one, but I'm pretty sure Concepts is still twice as big. I've only been to the new Neptune's store 2 or 3 times, it's so out of the way for me, I rarely drive past Milpitas. It looks awesome, although it still gets crazy hot and humid.

Concepts is the longest drive for me, especially if there's traffic on the way back.

Yeah it's kinda weird :huh:

Since I don't have pics of the tank yet,

I'm currently chillin at the beach waiting for my algae class to start B)

2016-03-16%2011.05.36_1.jpg

Gorgeous photo, Yoshii!

Yeah the YoshII2 confused me :)

How lovely that looks right now.

It was a beautiful day! :happy:

Yoshi, that shot of the pier looks relaxing! I'd love to make a west coast pilgrimage. Of course traveling 20+hrs just to go to the beach when there's one 20 minutes away sounds kind of ludicrous!

Ah, but west coast beaches are so different from east coast beaches!

Gorgeous photo, Yoshii!

Yeah the YoshII2 confused me :)

Thanks, maybe I should post these kinds of pics more often. I send my friends snaps of sunsets probably at least 2-3x a week :lol:

It's her twin.

:o

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

I know! Ib spent my summers in L.A. as a kid every now and then. I still have family out there. Perhaps one summer I'll return and hit up that pier for some pacific juice! The gulf doesn't do it for me anymore.