SaltCritters.com

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Seems like a good light for a nano

Love the YCG. Such a vibrant fish for a nano tank.

He really stands out, thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Im already looking for macros and live-plants is really impressive, getting the halimeda sampler, red sampler, ulva and C. Prolifera! Can't wait to start this :D (when they are in stock that is :P )

Live-plants is great, their selection in the spring is wonderful, and they give huge portions

I have extra C. prolifera if you want some

• Like 1

Seems like a good light for a nano

He really stands out, thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Live-plants is great, their selection in the spring is wonderful, and they give huge portions

I have extra C. prolifera if you want some

OMG that would be great! I'll wait till the tank is ready though lol

The pic above. ha aha ha.

He took FOREVER!!

OMG that would be great! I'll wait till the tank is ready though lol

Np, PM me whenever you want some.

Also, I went to Birch today but didn't see the lumpsuckers, sorry :(

That's hilarious that you go pick up 1 gallon of premixed salt water. I love it :) It definitely makes things easy! When I restarted my tank, I went and got 30 gallons of premixed saltwater from my friend who does aquarium servicing to save myself the effort of mixing that much water. I'd do it all the time if it didn't require me lugging so many 5 gallon jugs up a flight of stairs to my apartment :lol:

He took FOREVER!!

Np, PM me whenever you want some.

Also, I went to Birch today but didn't see the lumpsuckers, sorry :(

Perfect! And lol thats fine, sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not :happy: anyway, hope you enjoyed it :P

That's hilarious that you go pick up 1 gallon of premixed salt water. I love it :) It definitely makes things easy! When I restarted my tank, I went and got 30 gallons of premixed saltwater from my friend who does aquarium servicing to save myself the effort of mixing that much water. I'd do it all the time if it didn't require me lugging so many 5 gallon jugs up a flight of stairs to my apartment :lol:

I'd get more but I have to take 2 buses to get back to my apartment and I can only fit 1 gal in my bag. At least I have classes down there so this year I've been just getting water after class.

Lugging water is the worst! When I filled my 55g after moving, I was so tempted to fill it with tap water :lol:

That's what got me w/ that 60 g shallow downstairs, down 14 tiring, annoying stairs. It got to be too much.

I had my old 55g upstairs, never again!! Moving the tank in (and out) and lugging water was such a pain.

Perfect! And lol thats fine, sometimes they're there and sometimes they're not :happy: anyway, hope you enjoyed it :P

It's small but cute, of course I had to see the old Falcifers, that was cool. And I ran into a scripps researcher who had spoke in one of my classes before, he was nice and we got to talk about his research a bit.
  • Like 1

I'd get more but I have to take 2 buses to get back to my apartment and I can only fit 1 gal in my bag. At least I have classes down there so this year I've been just getting water after class.

Lugging water is the worst! When I filled my 55g after moving, I was so tempted to fill it with tap water :lol:

I had my old 55g upstairs, never again!! Moving the tank in (and out) and lugging water was such a pain.

It's small but cute, of course I had to see the old Falcifers, that was cool. And I ran into a scripps researcher who had spoke in one of my classes before, he was nice and we got to talk about his research a bit.

Thats really cool, all the more reason to go to ucsd lol

I wouldn't even want to lug a gallon all the way home in a bag on the bus! I'm all lazy now and make all my water in my apartment so no water has to go up or down stairs. I just have to get the water from my kitchen to my living room :)

I couldn't be more happy that I put this laminate mahogany in my new townhome cuz with the wheel accessory that fits the Brute just fine I now can ROLLLLLL!! ROLLLLL IT OVER to each of the 3 tanks in my living room. Which is really convenient because if I let water drip from buckets and it gets under these planks, they'll come up.

• Like 1

Thats really cool, all the more reason to go to ucsd lol

It's great :happy: When I first came here I thought I might regret not going to LA, cause all my friends went there, but now I'm really loving it here, sometimes I can't believe I actually get to study at Scripps :)

I wouldn't even want to lug a gallon all the way home in a bag on the bus! I'm all lazy now and make all my water in my apartment so no water has to go up or down stairs. I just have to get the water from my kitchen to my living room :)

That sounds much more convenient! Do you have your RODI set up under the sink?

I couldn't be more happy that I put this laminate mahogany in my new townhome cuz with the wheel accessory that fits the Brute just fine I now can ROLLLLLL!! ROLLLLL IT OVER to each of the 3 tanks in my living room. Which is really convenient because if I let water drip from buckets and it gets under these planks, they'll come up.

LOL YESSS!! I had a brute, but no wheels. I had hardwood floors too, but I put down like 3 layers of mats under and around the tank cause I knew I'd spill water eventually :lol:

• Like 2

That sounds much more convenient! Do you have your RODI set up under the sink?

Yep! I have my RODI unit plumbed into the cold water line under my kitchen sink. I have it going into a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a float switch so I always have 5 gallons of RODI water on hand.

Yep! I have my RODI unit plumbed into the cold water line under my kitchen sink. I have it going into a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with a float switch so I always have 5 gallons of RODI water on hand.

Haha how many float switches do you have?? :lol:

• Like 1

Tank Updates

Finally did a water change today. The purple gorg was really not liking it on the right side, I think it was a combo of getting shaded by the taller algae and lower flow. So I moved it back to the left side, hopefully it recovers.

I also noticed that some of the Plocamium I threw in the back chamber is growing much better than the piece in the display, so it's confirming my theory it really doesn't like med/high light. It's also a species found locally here in SD, we'll see how it does long term, but for now it seems to be happy in the back.

I dug through my "Aquarium Stuff" box (we all have at least one!) and found some filter floss so I wrapped a small piece around my return to lessen the noise.

Pudge the YCG is finally eating the H2O Ocean Roe I bought, although for some reason he eats some eggs, but spits out others.

• Like 4

It does suck lugging saltwater/RODI water around..but its not so bad if you just have a 10 gallon tank like me....actally Ive never had larger than a 10 gallon salt tank...love nanos...I don't know how people keep up with the maintenance of larger tanks

Nice tanks btw...each one looks awesome...I'm new to this salty world...so I'm still learning...I'll be following

• Like 2

Haha how many float switches do you have?? :lol:

Wait, why do you think I have a ton? Oh, because of the one on my skimmer too? :lol: Let's see, my RODI reservoir has one, my ATO system has two (one for measuring the sump water level and one for measuring the ATO reservoir level), and my skimmer has one. So 4 total! :)

• Like 1

ha! Yeah, sounds like a ton to me too! But, you got it going on with those and you won't have mishaps like we will so we probably need to get w/ your program! Show us the ways of the float switch!!

• Like 1

Birch Aquarium Pics part 1!

Unfortunately there were a TON of little kids running around, and of course most tanks were pretty dim, so these aren't the best pics.

All taken with 50mm 1.8, manual focus, Canon 60D

IMG_9020.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_905322re.jpg

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9086re22.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_911822.jpg

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9187.jpg

Sea turtle that got injured a long time ago and lives at Birch

IMG_9197.jpg

View from one of the balconies

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

• Like 10

What is that sea of purple? And I loooove the urchin picture. Looks like laser beams or fireworks.

The first pic? It's a chalice in their main reef display

• Like 1