SaltCritters.com

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Haha I'll add it to the list :P

Btw, I'm glad you brought back the glass tanks, they look so clear! Awesome sale too, if only I had more room for tanks :tears:

Yoshi,

I know you love the glass tank and these particular cute square set came from our vendor we use up here for pumps, heaters etc. I saw them and said they have Yoshi written all over them, they are so cute! Never seen a glass in that clear color, you need to see them when you get back from school.

I am getting my hands on 5 other glass rounded edges like the ones I carried but the largest one is 14 gallons. They are awesome looking and make for a great nano reef!

• Like 1

I know what you mean. When I got into seahorses I was trying to find a good comprehensive book on keeping them in aquaria. There wasn't really one out there. I ended up taking an online course from Ocean Rider with Pete Giwonja and I have that course downloaded and its excellant and comprehensive. I still refer to it at times. But there is just something about a real book that I miss.

I know even today it's still hard to find some info about seahorses!

Wow didn't know people even offered courses like that, I'd be down to take one lol

The only book I took with me to San Diego is my Reef Invertebrates book. I plan to read it again during spring break :)

• Like 1

Yoshi,

I know you love the glass tank and these particular cute square set came from our vendor we use up here for pumps, heaters etc. I saw them and said they have Yoshi written all over them, they are so cute! Never seen a glass in that clear color, you need to see them when you get back from school.

I am getting my hands on 5 other glass rounded edges like the ones I carried but the largest one is 14 gallons. They are awesome looking and make for a great nano reef!

They are super cute!

Lately I've actually been wanting another tank, like 5-7 gallons, but I think it might be difficult to move back and forth for school.

Next year I'll have a larger room and can fit another tank :ninja:

With this 3.7, I can lift the whole tank (while full) and carry over to the counter to empty and pack for transportation. It fits back in the box I got it in. I wish I could so something like that with a slightly larger tank.

I definitely want to see all your new tanks in person once I get back though!!

• Like 3
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

They are super cute!

Lately I've actually been wanting another tank, like 5-7 gallons, but I think it might be difficult to move back and forth for school.

Next year I'll have a larger room and can fit another tank :ninja:

With this 3.7, I can lift the whole tank (while full) and carry over to the counter to empty and pack for transportation. It fits back in the box I got it in. I wish I could so something like that with a slightly larger tank.

I definitely want to see all your new tanks in person once I get back though!!

I will give you a personal tour of my tiny shop in Hayward, last time you visited me it was at my home and I was operating out of the garage. Like Neil Armstrong once said, "One small step for nano-reefers, one giant leap for Reef Central haters", was it Neil that said this Yoshi? LOL

• Like 1

I will give you a personal tour of my tiny shop in Hayward, last time you visited me it was at my home and I was operating out of the garage. Like Neil Armstrong once said, "One small step for nano-reefers, one giant leap for Reef Central haters", was it Neil that said this Yoshi? LOL

I think I saw your old shop just as you were moving in. I'd love to stop by again! I'll let you know when I'm in town again

LOL go nano-reefs!

Kinda sad they don't make too many new marine aquarium books anymore, my bookshelf at home has 2 or 3 shelves dedicated to fishie books haha. Makes sense with the transition to digital everything, but I did really enjoy reading those books.

I remember when I first started I would convince my mom to let me stay at Half Price Books for several hours so I could read them :lol:

you can still find great ones on amazon I find! I've bought a ton of used ones.

(you probably read them all :lol: )

you can still find great ones on amazon I find! I've bought a ton of used ones.

(you probably read them all :lol: )

Yeah when I got older I bought almost all of mine from Half Price Books :)

Lol definitely not! I don't think I actually own a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, I've just skimmed it. My boss had an amazing bookshelf filled with only fishie books, it was so awesome and I got to borrow a few :)

• Like 1

Yeah when I got older I bought almost all of mine from Half Price Books :)

Lol definitely not! I don't think I actually own a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, I've just skimmed it. My boss had an amazing bookshelf filled with only fishie books, it was so awesome and I got to borrow a few :)

I'm going to get that one you recommend! I haven't read it!

gulfsurfer101

I want one of these 3.7's but the nearest petco to me dosn't carry it and the other nearest one is like 2hrs away. I used to have a 20l full of macro I used to collect locally off the gulf. I had a pair of strombus maculates snails spawn into the hudreds in that thing. I would love to start up a macro tank.

• Like 1

I'm going to get that one you recommend! I haven't read it!

It's great! The first part covers LR, refugiums and decorative macros, then switches over to inverts (Sponges, worms, snails, nudis/slugs, clams, cephalopods, cucumbers, stars, urchins, tunicates, stomatopods, shrimps, crabs, lobsters, etc.)

It goes into detail about the morphology and care of MANY different macros, and the section on fuges is surprisingly detailed, including various setups, organisms inside, benefits, concerns, etc.

I found the sections on sponges, nudis, and tunicates to be especially interesting.

Basically, it's awesome :)

I want one of these 3.7's but the nearest petco to me dosn't carry it and the other nearest one is like 2hrs away. I used to have a 20l full of macro I used to collect locally off the gulf. I had a pair of strombus maculates snails spawn into the hudreds in that thing. I would love to start up a macro tank.

Did you have a thread for that on here? I remember someone with a long macro tank

Check out the Marineland Contour 3g. Before I found this 3.7 at my Petco, I was planning on getting that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Contour-Glass-Aquarium-3-Gallon/dp/B00GOFSB6U

912eZdkqIoL._SY355_.jpg

gulfsurfer101

It's great! The first part covers LR, refugiums and decorative macros, then switches over to inverts (Sponges, worms, snails, nudis/slugs, clams, cephalopods, cucumbers, stars, urchins, tunicates, stomatopods, shrimps, crabs, lobsters, etc.)

It goes into detail about the morphology and care of MANY different macros, and the section on fuges is surprisingly detailed, including various setups, organisms inside, benefits, concerns, etc.

I found the sections on sponges, nudis, and tunicates to be especially interesting.

Basically, it's awesome :)

Did you have a thread for that on here? I remember someone with a long macro tank

Check out the Marineland Contour 3g. Before I found this 3.7 at my Petco, I was planning on getting that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Contour-Glass-Aquarium-3-Gallon/dp/B00GOFSB6U

912eZdkqIoL._SY355_.jpg

I am not too sure. I mix my tanks in my various threads. It might've been featured in my 75g bro-love thread but that one got derailed and basically turned into the lounge! I enjoy building tanks. It actually went from a macro tank to a bubble tip tank then my sump cracked under my 75g so I converted it into a sump then after tearing down my 75g to remodel for new baby nursery I converted to the 20l diy tank to hold the frags and coral that were special to me and I didn't want to sell off. So yeah this 20l has been with me for a while and has undergone some vast transformations!
  • Like 1

I know even today it's still hard to find some info about seahorses!

Wow didn't know people even offered courses like that, I'd be down to take one lol

The only book I took with me to San Diego is my Reef Invertebrates book. I plan to read it again during spring break :)

The course with Ocean Rider is free, but its implied that you should buy seahorses from them when you are ready for seahorses. It however is not mandated. I did buy my pair from them but if I want any more I will get them from seahorse source. Pete Giwonja is the foremost name I saw in keeping seahorses and he has written books that are out of print now. He actually personally answers questions through out the course since its done by email. Another plus is you move at your own pace. There are about 12 chapters that are broke into different sections. Like me, you would breeze through the chapters on biological filtration. The course is designed to educate someone who is new to marine aquaria as wrll as new to seahorses. If you are intersted Yoshii, you should take it. I think you would find it fascinating as there are chapters on seahorse nutrition and diseases and seahorse mating and breeding.

I am not too sure. I mix my tanks in my various threads. It might've been featured in my 75g bro-love thread but that one got derailed and basically turned into the lounge! I enjoy building tanks. It actually went from a macro tank to a bubble tip tank then my sump cracked under my 75g so I converted it into a sump then after tearing down my 75g to remodel for new baby nursery I converted to the 20l diy tank to hold the frags and coral that were special to me and I didn't want to sell off. So yeah this 20l has been with me for a while and has undergone some vast transformations!

Ha ha gulf, I also have a 20 long that has been with me about 20+ years. It was originally a marine tank that sat on a built in planter that was part of our fireplace. It was a dumb spot for a planter as there was no light there but being about 32" wide it was perfect for the 20L. Eventually it became my hospital/nursery tank whenever there might be a need. I had raised both clownfish and seahorses in it. Now it is my basement sump tank.

gulfsurfer101

Ha ha gulf, I also have a 20 long that has been with me about 20+ years. It was originally a marine tank that sat on a built in planter that was part of our fireplace. It was a dumb spot for a planter as there was no light there but being about 32" wide it was perfect for the 20L. Eventually it became my hospital/nursery tank whenever there might be a need. I had raised both clownfish and seahorses in it. Now it is my basement sump tank.

That's what I'm saying! Originally I think it was a hand me down tank from glennr1978 from coral gardens aquaculture when I helped him move his tank about five years ago or possibly longer!

:lol: Sounds like it has been a useful tank then!

The course with Ocean Rider is free, but its implied that you should buy seahorses from them when you are ready for seahorses. It however is not mandated. I did buy my pair from them but if I want any more I will get them from seahorse source. Pete Giwonja is the foremost name I saw in keeping seahorses and he has written books that are out of print now. He actually personally answers questions through out the course since its done by email. Another plus is you move at your own pace. There are about 12 chapters that are broke into different sections. Like me, you would breeze through the chapters on biological filtration. The course is designed to educate someone who is new to marine aquaria as wrll as new to seahorses. If you are intersted Yoshii, you should take it. I think you would find it fascinating as there are chapters on seahorse nutrition and diseases and seahorse mating and breeding.

Oh ok then I'll definitely have to check it out! Thanks :)

I don't plan on keeping seahorses, but I'd still like to learn more about their breeding and care.

gulfsurfer101

:lol: Sounds like it has been a useful tank then!

Oh ok then I'll definitely have to check it out! Thanks :)

I don't plan on keeping seahorses, but I'd still like to learn more about their breeding and care.

Yes seahorse maintenance requires a ton of work. I had a pair of hippocampus erectus in a 10g macro tank. They were awesome but required a lot of work. Probably too much to tackle with a full school schedule and hours of reading. I would find a good seahorse thread and live vicariously through it otherwise culturing phyto and pods and constant wc's could get in the way of your studies Ms.Yoshi!

20150530_193921_zpslji3mtim.jpg

20150530_201944_zpszewuzx7t.jpg

• Like 2

Yes seahorse maintenance requires a ton of work. I had a pair of hippocampus erectus in a 10g macro tank. They were awesome but required a lot of work. Probably too much to tackle with a full school schedule and hours of reading. I would find a good seahorse thread and live vicariously through it otherwise culturing phyto and pods and constant wc's could get in the way of your studies Ms.Yoshi!

Beautiful ponies? Are they wild-caught? I haven't seen ones with the "frillies" that are CB.

Yeah even if I wanted ponies, I definitely wouldn't have time for their care :(

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Beautiful ponies? Are they wild-caught? I haven't seen ones with the "frillies" that are CB.

Yeah even if I wanted ponies, I definitely wouldn't have time for their care :(

Yes, these were found about 10ft offshore rolling in a clump of sargassum! I kept them both for about 6mo then passed them to a local aquaculture facility. They've even bred since then but like I said the maintenance was too much for me to handle. I scrape the glass on my tank on sunday and do a wc every other month or so. I use nsw and just 32nd up doing like a 75% wc when I do.

i dont sleep. and thanks, im going to restart a tank. also, do you plan on dropping in to norcal over spring break? and why arent you asleep?

Oo, what kind of tank?

No, I'm staying here for break, plane tickets are too expensive :(

It's finals week, got my first one tomorrow at 8am

oh is it already finals week? that's a bummer. good luck with that. was going to see if you ever went to aquaforest, i wanted to grab a 45p but that would have required a willing participant with a car.

but honestly what i want is an 18x14x12 (lwh) tank thats of similar quality to ADA. Every custom thank I've ever bought has been marred with microscratches that bug the crap out of me

• Like 1

oh is it already finals week? that's a bummer. good luck with that. was going to see if you ever went to aquaforest, i wanted to grab a 45p but that would have required a willing participant with a car.

but honestly what i want is an 18x14x12 (lwh) tank thats of similar quality to ADA. Every custom thank I've ever bought has been marred with microscratches that bug the crap out of me

Yeah, I'm on the quarter system, so I'll have finals again in June.

You don't have a car?

I've never been there, I never really went to SF for fish stores. If I go there I'd probably leave with a tank for FW

I know there's some threads on here with people who say they have tanks that are similar to ADA. I haven't owned an ADA or anything similar so idk