Cultivated Reef

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

:lol: I'll definitely ask. I looked up where the nearest home depot is...and it's an hour one way (by bus) so I might have to wait a while, unless I can figure out how to make one with different materials. And I still need to find some clear screen. Last time I ordered screen online for my 55g cover, I had to order enough to cover a small pond. Obviously I need only a tiny fraction of that.

Hmm maybe I can ask if any local reefers have any scraps.

If you PM me the dimensions and your address, I probably have a scrap of BRS netting that would be the appropriate size (because I'm imagining the dimensions are tiny!) I can just drop it in an envelope to you.

• Like 2

If you want to make a screen lid, I'd definitely reach out to the local reefers and see if anyone has a small piece of the clear BRS mesh. I know people share that stuff all the time through BAR because if you buy a package is WAY more than most people need.

Do you have an Ace Hardware nearby? They tend to be located in more urban areas and not as far away as Home Depot. There are 3 Ace Hardware closer to me than Home Depot. They're usually very helpful and nice in Ace too, so they could probably help you out with cutting screen frame. If they can't though, you just need a little hack saw (no power tools), so you might be able to ask around and see if someone has one. I bet UCSD has a machine shop for the engineering departments and things too, so you could always ask around and see if you could get some help from them.

Thanks, I actually found an Ace only 40 min away! I'm going to try to go this weekend.

I'm actually thinking about maybe finding a square plastic frame of some sort, which I think might work/look better

:lol: It kinda sucks! I just have a ton of macros in there and it's not scaped :) But it COULD be nice if I scape it :)

Do it!

goby_yellowClown1.jpg

:wub:

If you PM me the dimensions and your address, I probably have a scrap of BRS netting that would be the appropriate size (because I'm imagining the dimensions are tiny!) I can just drop it in an envelope to you.

Aww that's so nice of you!

I'll ask around locally first, but if I can't find any I'll PM you :) thanks!

• Like 3

Just finished rearranging everything! I had to rip off most of the algae attached the the rocks to move everything, so it's a bit messy, but I'm liking the new look so far :)

I was able to dig out a bunch of algae that had gotten pushed behind the rocks. I almost forgot I had Halimeda in this tank! :lol:

• Like 2

heeyyy

how's it going?

just went back a few pages, marine bio looks fun! the only reason i didn't choose marine bio as my major is because i get sea sick lol. went with micro which turned out to be really cool

• Like 1

heeyyy

how's it going?

just went back a few pages, marine bio looks fun! the only reason i didn't choose marine bio as my major is because i get sea sick lol. went with micro which turned out to be really cool

Hey! :)

I'm doing pretty good, enjoying San Diego! School has been keeping me busy, but I love being a 10min walk away from the beach

Micro is really cool! I have a friend doing micro, it always sounds pretty interesting

Kicking butt again on micro reef size aquariums, I LOVE IT! :)

Thanks Mike! Glad to be back on NR

• Like 2

Michael's didn't have any square frame-like things, only rectangles. Briefly looked at Target, same story.

I'm going to look at Ace this weekend, but Daiso would probably be a great place. In the opposite direction of Ace though :(

• Like 1

I used to make my own screen lids for vivariums. It's pretty easy just need a hacksaw and some screen door kits and a piece of screen.

15a7cc4b-414f-4f55-8253-50f5ce558255_100

Then a straight piece of window screen frame and some that rubber stuff you push into the frame to hold screen in place. Only tools you really need is a hacksaw to cut the screen frame to sizes you need and scissors to cut your screen. The screen roller tool helps but can do it without. Should cost you around $5-15 to make. Looks like ace only sells kits not individual parts so be around $15 just for the frame

I was looking through my old dart frog threads hoping I had a picture of the process but i'm not seeing anything. pretty self explanatory though.

What new macros did you add???

Dictyota and a red I haven't positively ID'd yet. I got them from school, they are both from San Diego, so I want to see how they do in slightly warmer waters (AKA my tank :P) I expect the Dictyota to be fine, we'll see how the other one does

FTS coming as soon as it uploads to photobucket!

• Like 3

Dictyota and a red I haven't positively ID'd yet. I got them from school, they are both from San Diego, so I want to see how they do in slightly warmer waters (AKA my tank :P) I expect the Dictyota to be fine, we'll see how the other one does

FTS coming as soon as it uploads to photobucket!

Very cool! I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

Some algae "fell" from where I put it yesterday (left side) but I'm still happy with the rescape.I think once everything settles in it will look pretty nice! Unfortunately I had to turn the larger rock on its side for the new scape, so I lost the coralline, but hopefully it will grow back or the rock will get covered in macros :D

2016-02-25%2018.40.42_1.jpg

• Like 12

Some algae "fell" from where I put it yesterday (left side) but I'm still happy with the rescape.I think once everything settles in it will look pretty nice! Unfortunately I had to turn the larger rock on its side for the new scape, so I lost the coralline, but hopefully it will grow back or the rock will get covered in macros :D

2016-02-25%2018.40.42_1.jpg

Yaaas I love it! tanks screams dwarf ponies too bad they are pain. I need to get some nice seaweed like the one in back right. Can't wait until live-plants has some stock in again. That many reds the blue neon gobies would stand out really nice. Decorator crab would be neat if you didn't mind it snipping pieces of macro off. Can't wait to see what ends up in there.

How about a Yellow Watchman Gobi?

They are interesting little fellas, but I'm looking for something that stays more in the water column or on top of rocks.

I'm going to make my screen lid first, then worry about fish after I've gotten that done

Looks great! You have quite the variety of algae in this tiny tank!

Thanks Felicia! Oh, I should start making a list of what I have so far. Quite a few pieces are from my old 10g that I've just been collecting over the years, but also a few unique ones are from my SoCal LFS trip last year. It's so interesting the see the difference in variety of livestock between NorCal and SoCal

Yaaas I love it! tanks screams dwarf ponies too bad they are pain. I need to get some nice seaweed like the one in back right. Can't wait until live-plants has some stock in again. That many reds the blue neon gobies would stand out really nice. Decorator crab would be neat if you didn't mind it snipping pieces of macro off. Can't wait to see what ends up in there.

If only they ate pellets :lol:

I keep checking live-plants, even though I know they don't have much in stock right now. I need my algae fix!

Definitely considering a YCG or Neon Gobies! They are both so cute

I'm sure a decorator would LOVE to go on a vacay in this tank and get an algae makeover haha

• Like 2

really giving me the itch to set up a large macro tank again. But with better filtration. Maybe even a canister. The sump I had on this one sucked and it made me lose interest.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

More than anything though I miss having pipefish. Too bad my 28gal is a little on the small side for them.

• Like 1

really giving me the itch to set up a large macro tank again. But with better filtration. Maybe even a canister. The sump I had on this one sucked and it made me lose interest.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

More than anything though I miss having pipefish. Too bad my 28gal is a little on the small side for them.

Do eett!!

Also, what is that spikey green on the left? That's not seagrass, is it?

Happy belated birthday!!! I should pay more attention to Facebook for these things. Hope you had a good one!

Thank you Felicia! :) I spent it studying and surfing NR :lol: I'll celebrate later :)

Do eett!!

Also, what is that spikey green on the left? That's not seagrass, is it?

Thank you Felicia! :) I spent it studying and surfing NR :lol: I'll celebrate later :)

it was a type of seagrass yea I don't remember what. Pretty sure I got it from Russ. I had a larger blade turtle grass in the beginning but it waned.