Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Sorry guys, I feel like everyone is giving me so many suggestions but I'm shooting down all your ideas!
I guess it's just hard to find a small fish that doesn't jump and isn't too expensive (this is an expensive hobby after all!)

I'm sure it was already said but a group of Sexy shrimp would be my first choice for a tank that size. Then maybe a hectors goby for a little something swimming around. Small but active.

I'd assume dwarf seahorses are out of the question because of the feeding requirements. I know that's about the only thing keeping me from getting some. Well that and $$

Yeah I'm keeping sexies in mind :) They're always a cool addition for small tanks

Hectors are cute, but they need a large tank and hair algae to survive long term

Haha yeah, dwarf horses are sooo cool but hatching bbs everyday is too time consuming. I also have aiptasia that would eat them

• Like 2

So far, this is what I'm considering fish-wise

-Yellowtail Damsel

-Domino Damsel

-Gold Neon Goby/Regular Neon

-Maybe small blenny of some sort?

-Trimma (if I can find any)

-Small clown

Inverts:

-Sexies

In terms of small fish, I really loved my blue neon gobies. The blue version are pretty common and inexpensive. I've always loved my firefish too, but those are probably a jumping risk. Unfortunately most fish are a jumping risk. Have you considered just a cleaner shrimp? They have a ton of personality and are fun to feed and interact with, but are inexpensive and easy.

Those herbarium photos are beautiful! I've always liked macros in tanks, but hadn't really looked at them as art before, but they are gorgeous!

I thought hectors ate everything that it was rainfords that preferred algae. I could be wrong though. (googling is showing mixed results)

that's what sucks, the fish you know wont jump are also the ones that don't move around much and hide.

I look forward to seeing what ever you do choose though. Macro tanks are one of my favorites.

In terms of small fish, I really loved my blue neon gobies. The blue version are pretty common and inexpensive. I've always loved my firefish too, but those are probably a jumping risk. Unfortunately most fish are a jumping risk. Have you considered just a cleaner shrimp? They have a ton of personality and are fun to feed and interact with, but are inexpensive and easy.

Those herbarium photos are beautiful! I've always liked macros in tanks, but hadn't really looked at them as art before, but they are gorgeous!

I've never owned a blue neon but I see them at the lfs all the time and they are pretty and would probably stand out nice.

Oh, what about a clown goby? Those are cute and while they spend most of their time perched, I think they're usually pretty out and about and not too shy. I know Gena had one in her pico that was just adorable. Also, Eddie had a couple that were pretty noticeable even in his 50 gallon softie tank.

• Like 2

Yeah I used to have a pair in my 10g a few years ago. Well, I got them as a pair and then one killed the other :( But the remaining one was cute. Definitely on the list.

I thought about a cleaner too, I really like them but I'm kinda worried in a small tank it might pick at my nass snail. In my old 55g I had an issue with that

Thanks! I'm pleasantly surprised at how nicely they turned out :)

I thought hectors ate everything that it was rainfords that preferred algae. I could be wrong though. (googling is showing mixed results)

that's what sucks, the fish you know wont jump are also the ones that don't move around much and hide.

I look forward to seeing what ever you do choose though. Macro tanks are one of my favorites.

I've never owned a blue neon but I see them at the lfs all the time and they are pretty and would probably stand out nice.

I'm pretty sure both are kinda difficult to care for, but the Ranfordi's being bit difficult of the two. I've also heard they don't actually eat the algae, but the microfauna that live in it

Yeah, basically any color that's not green or red would look nice :)

Oh, what about a clown goby? Those are cute and while they spend most of their time perched, I think they're usually pretty out and about and not too shy. I know Gena had one in her pico that was just adorable. Also, Eddie had a couple that were pretty noticeable even in his 50 gallon softie tank.

I was thinking about adding that to the list. A YCG was one of my very first fish when I started reefing. Super cute!

• Like 3

I have 2 small clowns in my 3 gallon. These clowns have always been in a small tank so I figured they do good in my 3 gallon. They love it!!

Cant wait to see your pictures!!

I have 2 small clowns in my 3 gallon. These clowns have always been in a small tank so I figured they do good in my 3 gallon. They love it!!

Cant wait to see your pictures!!

Clowns do pretty well in nano tanks, but I feel a 3g is a bit too small for a pair, unless they are super tiny. If I got a clown, I'd get just one, and move it out once it outgrew the tank.

• Like 1

aquatic warehouse and aquasd both stock a variety of barnacle blennies from time to time. theyre kinda boring though but they look like muppets and are pretty amusing at feeding time

• Like 2

aquatic warehouse and aquasd both stock a variety of barnacle blennies from time to time. theyre kinda boring though but they look like muppets and are pretty amusing at feeding time

My old boss called them "Popcorn blennies" for the way they shoot up and down the tank at feeding time. They were hilarious to watch!

Do you think they would jump?

no they're pretty attached to their caves and tend not to stray far. if your bottleneck is a top, why not just make one and pick a fish you really want?

Im sure if you asked real nicely, one of these kind, single fellas will even make it for you.

no they're pretty attached to their caves and tend not to stray far. if your bottleneck is a top, why not just make one and pick a fish you really want?

Im sure if you asked real nicely, one of these kind, single fellas will even make it for you.

:lol: I actually already have a top. I can use it in the winter, but if it gets remotely warm, the tank overheats

I've met a few SD reefers from here! Sancho is one of the more active members; you're not alone :P

I like Aquatic Warehouse. I haven't been to an LFS in a while, but I usually go there.

A tiny clown would be so cute!

or what about a little clown goby? Those aren't jumpers, are they?

Could you make a little screen lid for this tank so that it doesn't overheat? A little blenny would be fun but I'm pretty sure all of them are a jumping risk.

• Like 1

or what about a little clown goby? Those aren't jumpers, are they?

They aren't jumpers, and I'm definitely considering one :)

Could you make a little screen lid for this tank so that it doesn't overheat? A little blenny would be fun but I'm pretty sure all of them are a jumping risk.

Haha you know despite making my own screen top for my 55 this didn't even cross my mind. DOH! Aw man I have all the materials and the perfect clear screen back home :(
  • Like 1

Darn. I don't have a saw to cut the frame. I remember a few years ago someone made custom screen lids and I think he used a plastic rim of some sort? Idk if he made it or purchased that.

Darn. I don't have a saw to cut the frame. I remember a few years ago someone made custom screen lids and I think he used a plastic rim of some sort? Idk if he made it or purchased that.

Smiz makes custom acrylic tops with mesh..... not sure what the price range would be for your tank. They're nice looking though!

Smiz makes custom acrylic tops with mesh..... not sure what the price range would be for your tank. They're nice looking though!

Oh wow he makes some amazing tops! Out of my price range, but wow those are slick :wub:
  • Like 1

Oh wow he makes some amazing tops! Out of my price range, but wow those are slick :wub:

They are, aren't they?? I bet if you got a screen kit at home depot, someone working there would be happy to help you out and cut it to your size specifications :) Just a couple bats of the eyelashes and you're golden ;)

They are, aren't they?? I bet if you got a screen kit at home depot, someone working there would be happy to help you out and cut it to your size specifications :) Just a couple bats of the eyelashes and you're golden ;)

:lol: I'll definitely ask. I looked up where the nearest home depot is...and it's an hour one way (by bus) so I might have to wait a while, unless I can figure out how to make one with different materials. And I still need to find some clear screen. Last time I ordered screen online for my 55g cover, I had to order enough to cover a small pond. Obviously I need only a tiny fraction of that.

Hmm maybe I can ask if any local reefers have any scraps.

Also, I saw this picture of your beautiful tank again today, and it gave me an idea

UmGAVYk.jpg

After looking at this pic again, I'm thinking about changing my scape.

It would have a valley in the center and rocks/tall algae towards the sides.

I have to trim or move my Caulerpa prolifera almost every day because it keeps shading out my algae and coral that's in the middle of the rock structure. I try to shove it between the rock and the false wall, but it just grows towards the front because it's not in a substrate.

I'm still thinking of ideas of where stuff would go, but maybe I can put the caulerpa in the back, behind the rocks, and have the "nicer" and shorter algae in the front, on the rocks? I'll have to move my rocks around to see if it will even work with my current rock. Probably my only concern is then cleaning the side panes of glass. I'm not sure if I'd leave space or just cover it up with macro algae

• Like 2

:lol: I'll definitely ask. I looked up where the nearest home depot is...and it's an hour one way (by bus) so I might have to wait a while, unless I can figure out how to make one with different materials. And I still need to find some clear screen. Last time I ordered screen online for my 55g cover, I had to order enough to cover a small pond. Obviously I need only a tiny fraction of that.

Hmm maybe I can ask if any local reefers have any scraps.

Also, I saw this picture of your beautiful tank again today, and it gave me an idea

UmGAVYk.jpg

After looking at this pic again, I'm thinking about changing my scape.

It would have a valley in the center and rocks/tall algae towards the sides.

I have to trim or move my Caulerpa prolifera almost every day because it keeps shading out my algae and coral that's in the middle of the rock structure. I try to shove it between the rock and the false wall, but it just grows towards the front because it's not in a substrate.

I'm still thinking of ideas of where stuff would go, but maybe I can put the caulerpa in the back, behind the rocks, and have the "nicer" and shorter algae in the front, on the rocks? I'll have to move my rocks around to see if it will even work with my current rock. Probably my only concern is then cleaning the side panes of glass. I'm not sure if I'd leave space or just cover it up with macro algae

That's a great idea, Yoshii (and I'm honored that you got inspiration from my photo :) ). I have my 12 long macro tank that needs a rescape at the moment so I think I'm going to try your idea :) I think the caulerpa will be a nice backdrop as well for your other algae.

• Like 1

That's a great idea, Yoshii (and I'm honored that you got inspiration from my photo :) ). I have my 12 long macro tank that needs a rescape at the moment so I think I'm going to try your idea :) I think the caulerpa will be a nice backdrop as well for your other algae.

:o you have a 12g long? Those are such nice tanks! There's an old 12g long macro tank thread on here somewhere. It was beautiful, I'll see if I can find the link

Edit: Lol I remember your 12g now :lol: How's it coming along?

• Like 1

If you want to make a screen lid, I'd definitely reach out to the local reefers and see if anyone has a small piece of the clear BRS mesh. I know people share that stuff all the time through BAR because if you buy a package is WAY more than most people need.

Do you have an Ace Hardware nearby? They tend to be located in more urban areas and not as far away as Home Depot. There are 3 Ace Hardware closer to me than Home Depot. They're usually very helpful and nice in Ace too, so they could probably help you out with cutting screen frame. If they can't though, you just need a little hack saw (no power tools), so you might be able to ask around and see if someone has one. I bet UCSD has a machine shop for the engineering departments and things too, so you could always ask around and see if you could get some help from them.

:o you have a 12g long? Those are such nice tanks! There's an old 12g long macro tank thread on here somewhere. It was beautiful, I'll see if I can find the link

Edit: Lol I remember your 12g now :lol: How's it coming along?

:lol: It kinda sucks! I just have a ton of macros in there and it's not scaped :) But it COULD be nice if I scape it :)