Top Shelf Aquatics

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Well, I get a build up of cyano in some parts in the fuge, so I clean that out and then siphon out any crap on the bottom in the left chambers and the right chambers. I'm not going to mess with the fuge except for wiping out the cyano.

... but if you don't have filter socks, that's not an option :)

So when you clean the sump you also do a water change, thats smart.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've been having trouble keeping nitrates around 5 and phosphates around .08. I noticed my corals start to lose some coloring and don't seem as happy (especially the gorgs and the LPS) when those two parameters fall too low. Since I feed like crazy, I figured I'd do a test. Last Sunday, I turned off the skimmer, turned off the reactor and wanted to see what numbers looked like just running floss and having the fuge as filtration. Just tested today before a water change:

Nitrates: between 8-9

Phosphates: .1

Calcium: 490 (seems a bit high, need to adjust dosing down a bit)

Alk: 8.9

Magnesium: 1380

I thought it was interesting that nitrates did go up a little as did phosphates, but I actually expected them to go up further. Anyway, neither here nor there. Just figured I also like cataloging testing here since I'm not good at keeping a log anywhere else :lol:

yeah. I generally change about 10-15 gallons at a time and just do it in the sump. Then turn the return back on and woosh. Fish hide for a good 10 minutes :)

Poor Jeffe

:lol: I might agree with you.

As far as cleaning goes I bet you will miss the AIO. Sumps always had some muck in them it seemed and couldn't really siphon out of mine. Shop vac worked good though

As far as cleaning goes I bet you will miss the AIO. Sumps always had some muck in them it seemed and couldn't really siphon out of mine. Shop vac worked good though

I know my Fusion 20 AIO I will not miss one bit....trying to get in the back of that thing is a PITA.....am looking forward to a sump.

:lol: That sounds just like Stella! She actually likes to eat earthworms and slugs :wacko: And other things she roots around for in the yard. She's allergic to grass, maple trees, oak trees, you name it. So when I see her trying to eat the little helicopters that come off of the maple trees in the spring/summer, I just start thinking "here we go - itchy breakout coming".

What is it with these dogs LOL. I haven't seen Chloe eat them but I know she likes to rub her face on earthworms :wacko:. That is one of my least favorite things she does :lol:.

So far the donut is working out great. Her back is healing well. Even some fur growing back already. Not sure what will happen once the donut is off though. I think I'll make her wear it for a while still. She's handling it just fine. It's much better than a cone :).

What is it with these dogs LOL. I haven't seen Chloe eat them but I know she likes to rub her face on earthworms :wacko:. That is one of my least favorite things she does :lol:.

So far the donut is working out great. Her back is healing well. Even some fur growing back already. Not sure what will happen once the donut is off though. I think I'll make her wear it for a while still. She's handling it just fine. It's much better than a cone :).

I know! Don't they know they're supposed to be little princess dogs?? haha. Bichons are actually little sturdy small dogs. Other than the allergies, Stella is pretty rough and tumble and gives the giant poodles a run for their money. Stella rubs her face in the earthworms too - then eats them. Yuck! I hate pulling the slugs and earthworms out of her mouth. gross.

Good to hear about the donut!!! I'll have to try one of those instead of the cone if we need it. Stella had her cone on so much, it wouldn't even phase her. She'd just bust through anything if the cone got in the way.

A couple photos for today. The aiptasia is really happy and nice and flowy. Enjoy what's left of your time in my tank, Aiptasias :lol:

UmGAVYk.jpg

blurry photobomb

GxIPfon.jpg

And a FTS since I haven't posted one in a bit.

VR8LxFy.jpg?1

Wonder what they are thinking with the cone on :lol: I know my dog hated it years ago when he had to wear it......

Found this and thought it looked funny.....one happy one sad. cone-of-shame-dog-vs-gloating-dog.jpg

A couple photos for today. The aiptasia is really happy and nice and flowy. Enjoy what's left of your time in my tank, Aiptasias :lol:

UmGAVYk.jpg

Love this shot :wub:

There's so much going on in this tank and it's great!

Do you have plans to get rid of the aiptasia? I'm starting to get a bit of an outbreak in my pico, but I haven't decided how I'm going to go about killing them

Do you have plans to get rid of the aiptasia? I'm starting to get a bit of an outbreak in my pico, but I haven't decided how I'm going to go about killing them

I added 8 berghia nudibranches about 3 weeks ago. They've so far cleared about 1/3 of the aiptasia - they've started with the right side of the tank and are slowly moving over. I'm hoping once they start their reproductive cycle, more berghies will show up and the aiptasia will be gone. They've been doing a good job so far!

I had added some corals in December. Saw a couple aiptasia, scraped them off. Then seriously within a few weeks I had a TON and in places where I really couldn't get to them. Aiptasia X didn't work, Joe's juice, lemon juice, H202. Nothing. So I finally pulled the trigger on the berghias.

UmGAVYk.jpg

blurry photobomb

GxIPfon.jpg

And a FTS since I haven't posted one in a bit.

VR8LxFy.jpg?1

so much color!

I know my Fusion 20 AIO I will not miss one bit....trying to get in the back of that thing is a PITA.....am looking forward to a sump.

I think it is much easier to maintain this tank than the biocube was. I could not easily clean the rear chambers and having the ability to use better equipment (skimmers, etc.) really helps I think.

So last night when I was gluing stuff up, I found a fireworm about 3" long and about 1/4 inch wide. The thing scared the crap out of me. It was in a plug a gorg was on and likely came with the gorg so I've had it in my tank since about early December :scarry: God, I sure hope that thing didn't reproduce.

So last night when I was gluing stuff up, I found a fireworm about 3" long and about 1/4 inch wide. The thing scared the crap out of me. It was in a plug a gorg was on and likely came with the gorg so I've had it in my tank since about early December :scarry: God, I sure hope that thing didn't reproduce.

KILL IT. I hate worms, even bristle worms I kill with extreme prejudice.

Archived