ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Thanks Pinner! Glad to see you're still on NR :)

Haha maybe...

Aww that's so cute!

no jumpers :(

I feel like a possum would be really shy by itself?

Yep still here... No tank ATM tho :(

And while I like the idea of a goby or Possum Wrasse, I also think you"ll need something more "open water"

Pink striped wrasee?

Yep still here... No tank ATM tho :(

And while I like the idea of a goby or Possum Wrasse, I also think you"ll need something more "open water"

Pink striped wrasee?

Plans for a new tank? :o

No jumpers, I don't have a cover. Well I do, but I don't use it on the tank cause it gets too hot when there's a heat wave

• Like 1

Plans for a new tank? :o

No jumpers, I don't have a cover. Well I do, but I don't use it on the tank cause it gets too hot when there's a heat wave

Yes, many plans for a 25 Lagoon. Actually have much of the equipment already purchased. But I will defiantly be changing jobs soon and possibly moving in the near future so i'm not ready to set it up at the moment.

You have high standards for fish requirements... umm tailspot?

Yes, many plans for a 25 Lagoon. Actually have much of the equipment already purchased. But I will defiantly be changing jobs soon and possibly moving in the near future so i'm not ready to set it up at the moment.

You have high standards for fish requirements... umm tailspot?

Ooh sounds cool, lagoon style tanks usually turn out pretty awesome

Congrats on the job, I hope the move goes well :)

Haha yeah I'm kinda limited with an open top and small tank. I really like tailspots and small blennies, but I had one in my old 3g and he jumped out :( I don't think they're normally supposed to do that, but I'm kinda hesitant

• Like 1

Ooh sounds cool, lagoon style tanks usually turn out pretty awesome

Congrats on the job, I hope the move goes well :)

Haha yeah I'm kinda limited with an open top and small tank. I really like tailspots and small blennies, but I had one in my old 3g and he jumped out :( I don't think they're normally supposed to do that, but I'm kinda hesitant

Yeah, I think the problem with Blennies is they get spooked, then run to a corner, then shoot upwards; which is why I didn't initially suggest them to you. While they are a bit more reclusive I'd probably suggest a goby of some sort. I've always wanted to get a couple of Panda Gobies but they always like to hang out at the bases of Acros or Birdnests... Macros might be a good substitute for them though. umm... Trying to think of another suggestion for you at the moment because You're really good at choosing really unique fish.

Maybe a Yasha Goby/Candy Shrimp pair? They're extremely productive and you be able to see them regularly.

Yeah, I think the problem with Blennies is they get spooked, then run to a corner, then shoot upwards; which is why I didn't initially suggest them to you. While they are a bit more reclusive I'd probably suggest a goby of some sort. I've always wanted to get a couple of Panda Gobies but they always like to hang out at the bases of Acros or Birdnests... Macros might be a good substitute for them though. umm... Trying to think of another suggestion for you at the moment because You're really good at choosing really unique fish.

Maybe a Yasha Goby/Candy Shrimp pair? They're extremely productive and you be able to see them regularly.

I wasn't sure if he just darted up a corner and jumped out, or was perched on top of the powerhead I had and jumped that way :/

Panda gobies are super cute, but extremely hard to take care of, and they definitely need a Poci host.

I like weird fish, but I also like damsels lol so it doesn't really matter

I loved my old Yasha from my 55g :wub: But they're definitely easily spooked too :(

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Diver's Den has a pair of these

0219161-362p.jpg

kinda plain jane... and probably reclusive. But I'd never seen them before.

Maybe some Neon gobies?

Those are neon gobies, Elacatinus horsti :P

EDIT: Sorry, they are E. figaro, not horsti :)

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I've always loved those yellow neons (yellow is my favorite color) but they are too expensive for my budget :(

Maybe I should just go with a cute little clown?

How much do they typically go for over there? Regular blue neons are $4-7 over here and the yellows are around $12.

• Like 1

How much do they typically go for over there? Regular blue neons are $4-7 over here and the yellows are around $12.

They're a bonded ORA pair $70 :blink:

So basically... imbred

jedimasterben

OH OH OH. You should look into a gumdrop coral croucher :)

So basically... imbred

Yes, but they're not quite like clownfish where they are inbred, then inbred, then inbred, then inbred, etc etc. These don't have any fancy colors or patterns acquired through breeding, so I would imagine that ORA is using probably using fish that aren't that far in on the tree.

• Like 2

I don't think I've seen a yellow. But that was back in the bay. SoCal should have more variety. I can ask the LFS. But back in the bay Neons were around $18-24

So basically... imbred

Ah ok that's why they are so expensive

OH OH OH. You should look into a gumdrop coral croucher :)

Yes, but they're not quite like clownfish where they are inbred, then inbred, then inbred, then inbred, etc etc. These don't have any fancy colors or patterns acquired through breeding, so I would imagine that ORA is using probably using fish that aren't that far in on the tree.

Aren't those $60-70? At least on DD

The fact that they are not much in demand compared to clowns helps them out. But yeah ORA is pretty bad at culling (means less $$$ for them!)

jedimasterben

Aren't those $60-70? At least on DD

The fact that they are not much in demand compared to clowns helps them out. But yeah ORA is pretty bad at culling (means less $$$ for them!)

ORA actually doesn't even breed 'normal' or even 'low grade' designer clownfish anymore - they are breeding the 'high end' clowns and selling the culls as the low grade or standard clowns, and unfortunately are even selling their disfigured fish that should be culled.

The gumdrops are usually $40, or $80 for a pair of them. I've never seen them locally, so I don't know if they'd sell for more or less.

ORA actually doesn't even breed 'normal' or even 'low grade' designer clownfish anymore - they are breeding the 'high end' clowns and selling the culls as the low grade or standard clowns, and unfortunately are even selling their disfigured fish that should be culled.

The gumdrops are usually $40, or $80 for a pair of them. I've never seen them locally, so I don't know if they'd sell for more or less.

When I worked at my LFS, we never ordered from ORA cause their fish sucked. Once we ordered Platinums and they came in skinny, pooping white, and had deformed faces

As far as large wholesalers go, I like Sustainable Aquatics.

I've never seen them in person either. But $80 is def out of my price range.

Nice looking tank's you got there :)

Thank you!

• Like 1

I've always loved those yellow neons (yellow is my favorite color) but they are too expensive for my budget :(

Maybe I should just go with a cute little clown?

A super tiny clown would be awesome- like 1/2"

You're probably the first I know from NR that's in SD Hopefully we'll meet at Aquatic warehouse :D

I've met a few SD reefers from here! Sancho is one of the more active members; you're not alone :P

I like Aquatic Warehouse. I haven't been to an LFS in a while, but I usually go there.

A super tiny clown would be awesome- like 1/2"

A tiny clown would be so cute!

DD has a black barred circus goby, kind of cute in the plain sort of way

0219161-210.jpg

The Gumdrops are adorable. So squishy you just wanna squeeze them. There was a pair on dd but they sold pretty quick

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=298082

_cfimg-2790796436101017172.PNG

I haven't seen them for sale locally either.

Probably be hard pressed to find fish that wont possibly jump. My black spot hit the lid a few times.

Can't say that my yasha goby has ever tried to jump. Usually if he gets spooked he just dives into his cave/tunnels.

DD has a black barred circus goby, kind of cute in the plain sort of way

0219161-210.jpg

The Gumdrops are adorable. So squishy you just wanna squeeze them. There was a pair on dd but they sold pretty quick

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=298082

_cfimg-2790796436101017172.PNG

I haven't seen them for sale locally either.

Probably be hard pressed to find fish that wont possibly jump. My black spot hit the lid a few times.

Can't say that my yasha goby has ever tried to jump. Usually if he gets spooked he just dives into his cave/tunnels.

Those guys are pretty neat, but IME they startle easily. I think they are more nocturnal?

They are so cute, they look grumpy and adorable at the same time

Yeah, that's the main issue. Hence why I'm leaning towards a goby, damsel, or clown

• Like 1

I'm sure it was already said but a group of Sexy shrimp would be my first choice for a tank that size. Then maybe a hectors goby for a little something swimming around. Small but active.

I'd assume dwarf seahorses are out of the question because of the feeding requirements. I know that's about the only thing keeping me from getting some. Well that and $$