Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

wow, great photos! all of them.

Thank you! Ooh yay love your new icon :)

Bringing it over to the next page

Birch Aquarium Pics part 1!

Unfortunately there were a TON of little kids running around, and of course most tanks were pretty dim, so these aren't the best pics.

All taken with 50mm 1.8, manual focus, Canon 60D

IMG_9020.jpg

IMG_9029.jpg

IMG_905322re.jpg

IMG_9068.jpg

IMG_9086re22.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_911822.jpg

IMG_9126.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

IMG_9142.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9187.jpg

Sea turtle that got injured a long time ago and lives at Birch

IMG_9197.jpg

View from one of the balconies

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

• Like 4
gulfsurfer101

I love watching the sea turtles from my local jetti! We have a local aquarium that houses a few injured and unreleasable ones that take up a permanent residency there!

I love watching the sea turtles from my local jetti! We have a local aquarium that houses a few injured and unreleasable ones that take up a permanent residency there!

Oh wow that sounds so cool!

where's the eel tank? aka hell

I remember a few different eel tanks?

ha! Yeah, sounds like a ton to me too! But, you got it going on with those and you won't have mishaps like we will so we probably need to get w/ your program! Show us the ways of the float switch!!

Well I've had my fair share of mishaps. This is why I now have tons of redundancy and float switches! Float switches are cheap and they make life easier! I'm actually considering upgrading the skimmer float switch to this system. It's super cool and actually have a float switch in the sump like I have to shut down the skimmer when you turn off your return pump, but then it also has a micro sensor that goes inside your skimmer cup. That way if your skimmer cup is about to overflow it shuts down. Pretty awesome!

Christina! OMG those photos are to die for! I still have your last epic jellyfish shot as my laptop background and as the background on the computer that runs the instrument I use in lab :) I may need to get you to send me a new full size photo to change up my backgrounds! I'm really loving that second jellyfish shot in this set! I love jellyfish photography :) My other favorites are the tube anemone and the urchin!

Christina! OMG those photos are to die for! I still have your last epic jellyfish shot as my laptop background and as the background on the computer that runs the instrument I use in lab :) I may need to get you to send me a new full size photo to change up my backgrounds! I'm really loving that second jellyfish shot in this set! I love jellyfish photography :) My other favorites are the tube anemone and the urchin!

Thanks! Lmk if you want any full size, however, they may not be as high quality, as the tanks were dim so I had to bump up the ISO pretty high

the one thats pretty narrow and dim, with about 30 anaconda sized eels in it.

Hmm I didn't see any tanks with 30 eels in it. There was one with fake rock on the outside, but I only saw 1 eel

I was at birch today! Sad that they shut down the large tide pool tank though... but i had a tankgasm when i saw that sps tank (kinda forgot about it) lol

I was at birch today! Sad that they shut down the large tide pool tank though... but i had a tankgasm when i saw that sps tank (kinda forgot about it) lol

One of the smaller ones was still nice, of course I was loving all the different macros in it :D

It was actually nice to see so many Garibaldi.

Honestly, I just compared it to Monterey's reef display (which is better)

• Like 1

I do like the urchin pic as a background...I may need that one. Want to send it to me? :D:D:D

How does Birch compare to the Monterey Bay Aquarium overall? I need to visit Birch the next time I visit my sister. We talked about going last time I was down there, but we ran out of time. We ended up going to the San Diego zoo instead of the aquarium. The zoo was pretty awesome, but expensive.

I do like the urchin pic as a background...I may need that one. Want to send it to me? :D:D:D

How does Birch compare to the Monterey Bay Aquarium overall? I need to visit Birch the next time I visit my sister. We talked about going last time I was down there, but we ran out of time. We ended up going to the San Diego zoo instead of the aquarium. The zoo was pretty awesome, but expensive.

Sure :) I think I still have your email

It's definitely a lot smaller. Apparently it used to be a lot cooler, but now it's not as great. But they still have some cool inhabitants, and for the ticket price, it's worth going. While the MBA is like $40 for a standard adult ticket, Birch is $17, students for $12. (I paid $11 as a UCSD student)

I haven't been to the zoo yet, but I hear it's amazing (and expensive)

• Like 1

Sure :) I think I still have your email

It's definitely a lot smaller. Apparently it used to be a lot cooler, but now it's not as great. But they still have some cool inhabitants, and for the ticket price, it's worth going. While the MBA is like $40 for a standard adult ticket, Birch is $17, students for $12. (I paid $11 as a UCSD student)

I haven't been to the zoo yet, but I hear it's amazing (and expensive)

Thanks so much for the new background :) I love your photography!

I figured it was probably a lot smaller. Sounds like its worth it for that price though! I'll have to check it out next time I'm down in SD. The zoo really was amazing and its huge, so worth the money. Just make sure you go when you have a whole day to really enjoy it and get your money's worth. And wear comfy shoes!

Thanks so much for the new background :) I love your photography!

I figured it was probably a lot smaller. Sounds like its worth it for that price though! I'll have to check it out next time I'm down in SD. The zoo really was amazing and its huge, so worth the money. Just make sure you go when you have a whole day to really enjoy it and get your money's worth. And wear comfy shoes!

Np :)

I really want to visit the zoo or seaworld while I'm in SD. I'm hoping to make it to one during the next school year when I have my car :)

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Np :)

I really want to visit the zoo or seaworld while I'm in SD. I'm hoping to make it to one during the next school year when I have my car :)

I wanna come too.... :P

One of the smaller ones was still nice, of course I was loving all the different macros in it :D

It was actually nice to see so many Garibaldi.

Honestly, I just compared it to Monterey's reef display (which is better)

The only aquarium that even comes close to monterey is shedd imo lol but, i really do love that small tide pool tank

The only aquarium that even comes close to monterey is shedd imo lol but, i really do love that small tide pool tank

I haven't been to Shedd, but of the public aquariums I've been to, I actually like Steinhart better than Monterey. Maybe cause they focus on more tropical exhibits?

HarryPotter

That's what got me w/ that 60 g shallow downstairs, down 14 tiring, annoying stairs. It got to be too much.

Use gravity to pump it down (with a cheap valve at the end to "stop" it and a cheap pump to trash old water outside :)

I'm 1 story, so use a siphon to get the water out and a pump to go from the brute to my tank.

Use gravity to pump it down (with a cheap valve at the end to "stop" it and a cheap pump to trash old water outside :)

I'm 1 story, so use a siphon to get the water out and a pump to go from the brute to my tank.

I used a pump too, when I had my large tank downstairs, but if it's upstairs, you still have to get the water upstairs first.