ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Hey guys, so my GSP is acting weird (of all things, know!)

Since I got it, it's only been looking like this. I thought maybe it was just settling in, but it's GSP, it usually only takes a few days (or less) to open up. I don't have that many corals, but everything else is fine.

Right now it's in the middle front of the tank, getting low/med flow.

2016-04-01%2014.42.22_1.jpg

Monday I'm going to get water to do another water change, just in case something is amiss.
I think I'll move it in towards the back and see if that makes a difference. Currently I have poison lotion-hands, so I'll do it later

• Like 2

Hey guys, so my GSP is acting weird (of all things, know!)

Since I got it, it's only been looking like this. I thought maybe it was just settling in, but it's GSP, it usually only takes a few days (or less) to open up. I don't have that many corals, but everything else is fine.

Right now it's in the middle front of the tank, getting low/med flow.

2016-04-01%2014.42.22_1.jpg

Monday I'm going to get water to do another water change, just in case something is amiss.

I think I'll move it in towards the back and see if that makes a difference. Currently I have poison lotion-hands, so I'll do it later

Believe it or not but i have all but killed my gsp! That is not even possible is it? This was a frag from a colony that i have had for probably 9 years and then about 2 months ago it began to mysteriously recede. Just like my beautiful yellow polyps. Everything else is good but those 2 look like goners. It is so wierd.
  • Like 1

No idea what's going on with that GSP, but I'm with Dawn. Corals are just weird and confusing sometimes. I've definitely killed things that should be easy while other delicate things do well. Mysteries! Hopefully the gsp recovers for you though! That's the cool branching stuff right?

• Like 2

Believe it or not but i have all but killed my gsp! That is not even possible is it? This was a frag from a colony that i have had for probably 9 years and then about 2 months ago it began to mysteriously recede. Just like my beautiful yellow polyps. Everything else is good but those 2 look like goners. It is so wierd.

:( Oh no, your yellow poylps and GSP were so beautiful! :(

My yellow polyps are fine, it's the GSP that's weird

No idea what's going on with that GSP, but I'm with Dawn. Corals are just weird and confusing sometimes. I've definitely killed things that should be easy while other delicate things do well. Mysteries! Hopefully the gsp recovers for you though! That's the cool branching stuff right?

Yeah it looks awesome when it's open, hopefully it gets back to that!

I wasn't able to get water today, but I'll grab some soon and see if another water change helps.

In other news, I keep staring at Pudge and idk if I'm just staring at him too long, or if he has some parasite/baddie. There are tiny spots towards the tips of his fins that are lighter than the surrounding area. I've been keeping a close eye on him and also feeding more, and so far nothing, but we'll see. I didn't have any way to set up a quarantine tank, so all he got was a FW dip. If he does get sick, at least he's easy to catch and the only fish so I could let the tank go fallow for 6-8 weeks no problem.

• Like 2

My Nassarius got curious and since it was at the top, I decided to feed him some roe, and boy does it suck it up like a vacuum!

I struggled for a good 10-15 min trying to get this video to embed. It doesn't like me and refuses.

So here's a picture of a Blue Tang in a bag to freak out anyone casually scrolling through this thread.

TR-Tang-SI-600x6001.jpg

Here's the link that hopefully works

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/chrstnarox2/th_20160404_180113.mp4

• Like 5

Personally, I don't care what people keep in their tank, if you know what your doing and will give the tang,grouper or whatever else a bigger home as they grow, fine and good lord the tang police are just annoying cuz it seems like they never read video descriptions on youtube, if it says, tang now has a bigger home or something they still go OMG OMG OMG YOU HORRIBLE PERSON blah blah blah anyway i laughed at the pic, only thing i was thinking was that it would eat ur macros ;)

ha haha...I'm sure he'll have a wonderful home.

He'll be surrounded by food all the time :lol:

Personally, I don't care what people keep in their tank, if you know what your doing and will give the tang,grouper or whatever else a bigger home as they grow, fine and good lord the tang police are just annoying cuz it seems like they never read video descriptions on youtube, if it says, tang now has a bigger home or something they still go OMG OMG OMG YOU HORRIBLE PERSON blah blah blah anyway i laughed at the pic, only thing i was thinking was that it would eat ur macros ;)

Well, the thing is a lot of people don't know what they're doing. From my experience working at an LFS for over 5 yrs, I've seen that only a small minority of customers really understand how much space tangs need. Tangs don't need larger tanks because they get big, they need larger tanks because they need to swim, A LOT. You can keep a "large" fish (relative to tank size) such as a clown in a tank that might be too small for similar size fish because clowns don't need swim around a lot. In the wild they stick to their nem basically 24/7.

For experienced reefers who do know what they're doing, then tangs in smaller tanks are fine, as long as you have another tank to move it to when it grows.

Yes, the "tang police" can go a little nuts sometimes, but most of the time it's just people trying to help.

Haha yes my poor macros!! :(

• Like 3
gulfsurfer101

I wish I could keep a hippo tang in my 75g. I have no future plans on upgrading though so I don't think it will ever happen for me!

I wish I could keep a hippo tang in my 75g. I have no future plans on upgrading though so I don't think it will ever happen for me!

why not? isnt 75 gallons fine?

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I killed my purple plating sponge! Well, not totally but it sure isn't looking great. And I kill Xenia. Don't know why, but that coral does NOT like me :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I killed my purple plating sponge! Well, not totally but it sure isn't looking great. And I kill Xenia. Don't know why, but that coral does NOT like me :)

I can't like that statement.

• Like 1

Probably shouldn't have liked this but I have been there and it made me laugh! The xenia doesn't actually surprise me. I've definitely killed xenia before. If it isn't super happy it just melts. But then, once its happy in a spot it becomes a weed. Weird coral. The sponge however surprises me! Those things are indestructible normally. Do you have it in good light and flow? Don't give up on it because they can come back from just a tiny bit of live tissue.

• Like 1

Speaking of sponges....does this yellow one look like it can make it? And do they shed? The rocks of course weren't sitting in water in shipping. And it was of course exposed to air in that time.

20160405_190439_zpsvfv5tdei.jpg

20160405_190053_zpsyme95aty.jpg

Probably shouldn't have liked this but I have been there and it made me laugh! The xenia doesn't actually surprise me. I've definitely killed xenia before. If it isn't super happy it just melts. But then, once its happy in a spot it becomes a weed. Weird coral. The sponge however surprises me! Those things are indestructible normally. Do you have it in good light and flow? Don't give up on it because they can come back from just a tiny bit of live tissue.

Yeah! High light and pretty high flow. It was doing ok then boom. Started to recede and turn white :o it's never been a great grower for me for some reason and of course I love the plating sponges and want them to take over my tank :lol: I'll kee my fingers crossed that it comes back!

FlowerMama,

not sure about that sponge but it's not dead..yet :P Just wait and see, most sponges only need a small piece to grow again

No, not long term. Blue tangs get HUGE, like 1 foot or more

that's such a cute hippo tang! if they are not so prone to ich, i would totally get one for my 75

I know I just talked about how I wasn't able to quarantine my YCG, but as long as your display doesn't have it, and you quarantine (and maybe preventatively treat) the tang, you should be fine :)

FlowerMama,

not sure about that sponge but it's not dead..yet :P Just wait and see, most sponges only need a small piece to grow again

Yeah, I'm just leaving it there to see what happens.

gulfsurfer101

Speaking of sponges....does this yellow one look like it can make it? And do they shed? The rocks of course weren't sitting in water in shipping. And it was of course exposed to air in that time.

20160405_190439_zpsvfv5tdei.jpg

20160405_190053_zpsyme95aty.jpg

If that was from the gulf don't expect it to survive but you can expect to see more of them in a couple months down the line!

I don't think so! I think the minimum would be like a 125 or 150.

If that was from the gulf don't expect it to survive but you can expect to see more of them in a couple months down the line!

So would it have released spores as it was dying?

Another worry about Pudge :(
He eats a TON, I feed him multiple times and day. When I sit at my desk I feed him 1-2 bits of food every minute until he's full (15-20min). But lately I feel like he's getting skinnier, quickly :/ I'm worried maybe he has an internal parasite?

gulfsurfer101

So would it have released spores as it was dying?

No but sponges usually don't make the shipping the way they package rock. But after a while you start to see everything coming back. I don't know how but it was amazing to watch that stuff. A year later and you would still be noticing stuff you swear was new.

Another worry about Pudge :(

He eats a TON, I feed him multiple times and day. When I sit at my desk I feed him 1-2 bits of food every minute until he's full (15-20min). But lately I feel like he's getting skinnier, quickly :/ I'm worried maybe he has an internal parasite?

What are you feeding. Frozen or dry? Something prepared? Perhaps he's not getting the proper nutrition and need to mix it up. That is why I like to feed prepared food. It covers the entire tank, coral, fish and all!
  • Like 1

What are you feeding. Frozen or dry? Something prepared? Perhaps he's not getting the proper nutrition and need to mix it up. That is why I like to feed prepared food. It covers the entire tank, coral, fish and all!

Frozen. Mysis and Roe, but mostly roe. I'm trying pellets but he isn't going for it yet.

This is the stuff on the label for the roe:

Crude protein (min) 22.1%

Crude fat (min) 6.4%

Crude fiber (max) 1.3%

Total Omega 3 FA 0.8%

Vitamin C 1000IU/kg

Also says it includes "HUFA Supplement"

This the label info on the mysis

Crude protein (min) 10.5%

Crude fat (min) 1.0%

Crude fiber (max) 2.0%

Ascorbic Acid (min) 10mg/kg

Riboflavin (min) 2mg/kg

Vitamin B12 (min) 200ug/kg

It says they add vitamin C but don't list any amounts

The label info for the Spectrum pellets I'm TRYING to feed him:

Crude protein (min) 38%

Crude fat (min) 7%

Crude fiber (max) 5%

Ash (max) 8%

Vitamin A (min) 8000IU/kg

Vitamin D (min) 2500IU/kg

Vitamin E (min) 200IU/kg

Also says it has a "Vitamin B12 Supplement", "Riboflavin Supplement", Thiamine

gulfsurfer101

Everything looks good as far as nutritional. I wonder what hufa supplement is though. But that's not it. Could be parasitic if you have watched him eat and is still being problematic. I wish I had better answers for you!

• Like 1