Cultivated Reef

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Haha yeah...

I'm going back (a bit earlier than normal) in late August. Yes, there is a 10g limit. Also I think you're only supposed to have 1 tank, but I want to set up a small planted tank for my betta so we'll see how I can sneak that in.

I don't want to get a 10g because I'll be moving the tank a minimum of 5 times in the next 10 months :( I want something small that can fit on my desk and is also easy to breakdown and transport

What size tank do you presently have and what size do you want at school. As I see it, you will make any tank shine, because of your love of the hobby. If you have a roommate, perhaps they could claim the second tank.

What size tank do you presently have and what size do you want at school. As I see it, you will make any tank shine, because of your love of the hobby. If you have a roommate, perhaps they could claim the second tank.

Right now I have this 3.7g AIO and I'm looking for a tank around 5-7g. I'm going to go with the standard size 5.5g if I can't find another tank I like.

Aw thanks :blush: Last year my roommates said they wouldn't mind if I had my tank in the living room, so I might have the FW there and one of them could claim it. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 3

That's a great idea to "share" the tanks among roommates. Last year one of my daughter's roommates smuggled in Jameson the Hamster. I loved hearing all the stories about how they kept Jameson hidden and secret all year :)

• Like 1

That's a great idea to "share" the tanks among roommates. Last year one of my daughter's roommates smuggled in Jameson the Hamster. I loved hearing all the stories about how they kept Jameson hidden and secret all year :)

Hahaha I think a Hamster is much harder to hide than a fish tank!

Although I know there's a girl in the building next to mine that has a small dog :blink: I have no idea how she hides it

• Like 3

Maybe it was a really quiet dog? That never needed to go pee outside in the middle of the night?

I saw her walking it around a few times throughout the year, so I guess she didn't get caught

• Like 2

the marina cubus is a pretty cute aquarium for bettas. or if you want some next lvl russian tech, get this. Straight from Crimea to you!

http://www.aqualighter.com/picoset.html

I bought one off ebay and it's really cute.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/1043938-aqualighter-daquarium-5l.html

Nips! Hiya

It is cute, but so tiny!

Latest Fts looks great, top notch pico. Are still planning on movin around the tank if you upgrade?

Thanks Squared!

Yeah, that's why it's not much of an upgrade

Good news, I'm finally going to make the drive to that larger LFS today. But ugh, I've been doing too much driving lately. Monday I went to Eureka/Arcata and back (around 11-12hrs just driving) and yesterday I went to SF, and today I'm going to the LFS and probably another city too.

I took some pics of the new gorg but I haven't gotten a chance to upload them yet.

• Like 2

It is cute, but so tiny!

TWSS.

Also, yeah, it's way too tiny for a betta. I think that person was planning on putting dwarf shrimp in there, which makes sense. A betta's recommended water volume is 2.5gal at the very minimum, with 5 being better/optimal and more being, well.. more. :)

Came home with a tank today!

Not from that LFS though. I hadn't been there in a long time (over a year) and I knew there was a change in ownership, but man the store really sucks now :( I was surprised as I had met the new owner a few years ago and he was an enthusiastic young guy, it seemed like he would make the store better. They had fewer displays, and the best ones they had running were so-so. Fish selection was decent but coral was pretty dismal. Both SW and FW tanks were pretty dirty. All I could think was "wow I sat in traffic for this?"

They did have a nice little rimless tank, probably around 6-7g for $35 which I might have bought except it had a few deep scratches.

So I went to PetSmart next door, and they didn't have the 5.5g. I ended up getting a standard Aqueon 5.5g and an AC20 from the Petco closest to my house.

20160803_172219.jpg

• Like 6

Nice tank. What you planning on doing with it?

It's going to be an upgrade from this current 3.7g tank

You're gonna make such a cute tank whatever you do with it.

Aww thanks Flower! I hope so :)

Nothing like that new tank smell. :)

Haha yep!

Actually when I was at the LFS I was looking through their LR tanks and the smell reminded me of when I set up my first SW tank and cycled my own rock. Smelled kinda nice actually! :lol:

• Like 1

So do the newer AquaClears not come with filter media or am I dumb and get one with things missing despite checking the box? :lol:

Either way, I guess it's a good thing I have random old fish stuff all around my house. I just found a nice bag of carbon in my closet the other day, and I know I have some filter-worthy sponge blocks sitting around somewhere.

• Like 1

I have the same tank and same filter...I love it

20160728_200617_zps4uggqwrl.jpg

So do the newer AquaClears not come with filter media or am I dumb and get one with things missing despite checking the box? :lol:

Either way, I guess it's a good thing I have random old fish stuff all around my house. I just found a nice bag of carbon in my closet the other day, and I know I have some filter-worthy sponge blocks sitting around somewhere.

The aquaclear always comes with media....but it's kinda garbage....I use chemi pure blue nano...purgen..and phosguard

20160728_200722_001_zpsldr1t9wo.jpg

(Sorry..I gotta clean my tank)

• Like 2

Yay! I can't wait to see what you do with this :D the macro looks amazing though... Like a mini kelp forest lol

Thanks! :happy: I'm excited too!

I have the same tank and same filter...I love it

20160728_200617_zps4uggqwrl.jpg

The aquaclear always comes with media....but it's kinda garbage....I use chemi pure blue nano...purgen..and phosguard

20160728_200722_001_zpsldr1t9wo.jpg

(Sorry..I gotta clean my tank)

Thanks for sharing! What light are you using?

It's the innovative marine skkye light 18watt...it's ok for softies...zoas..mushrooms ect....you might be able to grow lps under this light....but not great for sps....check out my link for full info

It's the innovative marine skkye light 18watt...it's ok for softies...zoas..mushrooms ect....you might be able to grow lps under this light....but not great for sps....check out my link for full info

Ah I see. I plan on using the same lighting I'm currently using for this 3.7

Thanks, I'll check out your thread!

Congrats on the new tank.. can't wait to see what you do with it..

Thank you thilankasp! I hope your tank is doing well :)

• Like 1

Here's the daylight shot

IMG_9896%2022.jpg

Since it's a new page, here's the "blue" shot

IMG_9770%2022.jpg

And the "combo" :P

IMG_9770%20combo%20pic.jpg

Very cool!!! What's that red macro with the long ribbons on the right?!?

• Like 1