SaltCritters.com

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

Haha, if you do, take a picture! I think they will be okay.

I will! I'm actually kinda thinking about leaving the 5.5 in its box with the lid off :lol:

I had to do something similar when I lived in the dorm....except it wasn't temporary. Evap was bad, but surprisingly the temp never really went above like 80.

RO ice cubes in a cup were a life saver for my saltwater makeshift QT tank. Once they melted I just let them sit until they were barely cold and dumped.

Also this tank is one of my inspirations for coming back to the hobby... just so you know. :) It's gorgeous!

Luckily I've very close the ocean so it generally doesn't get over 100 degrees, but there's pretty poor air circulation in the apartments.

Oh that's a great idea!! Ok I'm definitely going to do that. I usually kept 2-3 water bottles in the freezer to rotate for when my SW tank got too hot last year

I'm honored and I'm glad you're coming back to the addiction!

• Like 1

I will! I'm actually kinda thinking about leaving the 5.5 in its box with the lid off :lol:

Luckily I've very close the ocean so it generally doesn't get over 100 degrees, but there's pretty poor air circulation in the apartments.

Oh that's a great idea!! Ok I'm definitely going to do that. I usually kept 2-3 water bottles in the freezer to rotate for when my SW tank got too hot last year

I'm honored and I'm glad you're coming back to the addiction!

That is also a really good idea, it'd be more water volume anyway!

• Like 1

Also, a big thank you to Gene (genetao) who gave me these plants for the 3.7! :happydance:

I'm taking my driftwood out to glue it to some slate but I'll post a pic when the dirt settles so you guys can see what happened to the 3.7

2016-08-13%2019.23.58.jpg

Yoshii,

What is that green macro? It looks like true roots. Is it a Seagrass or a seaweed?

Patrick

Yoshii,

What is that green macro? It looks like true roots. Is it a Seagrass or a seaweed?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Those are actually some freshwater plants Gene gave me. I turned the 3.7g in a FW tank after I moved everything to the 5.5g

• Like 3

I think that Trimma goby would be awesome!

Btw, your tank selfie is great - I love that you look totally relaxed and don't show any signs of how awkward it is to hold that tank in reality :lol:

• Like 1

I think that Trimma goby would be awesome!

Btw, your tank selfie is great - I love that you look totally relaxed and don't show any signs of how awkward it is to hold that tank in reality :lol:

I would have totally grabbed him weeks ago if I wasn't moving :(

Haha thanks! It was a bit of a balancing act. Also not shown was me picking up the yoshis after they kept falling on the floor :lol:

• Like 2

Hi Patrick,

Those are actually some freshwater plants Gene gave me. I turned the 3.7g in a FW tank after I moved everything to the 5.5g

Is that going to be your beta tank?

Sure! I'll start feeding more :P Actually I plan on going over to LA for a day and visiting as many fish stores as possible :lol: I'm not sure if I'll do that before or after MACNA, but I would love to meet up with other SoCal nano reefers! :)

I really need to glue mine to a rock so I stop loosing it in the sand. I think I'll do that today

How big is your tank?? I can't fit all that Trident fern in my tank!

Please do fatten her up :lol:. Let me know if you make it up to the San Fernando Valley! I think the only big LFS we have up here is Vivid which is worth the drive up this far. Most of the others are in Orange County. We have a new one here in Burbank that isn't too bad. I've only been one time and need to go check it out again. It's pretty fancy :).

Is that going to be your beta tank?

Yep! I need to post of a pic of it, I've been pretty busy packing

Please do fatten her up :lol:. Let me know if you make it up to the San Fernando Valley! I think the only big LFS we have up here is Vivid which is worth the drive up this far. Most of the others are in Orange County. We have a new one here in Burbank that isn't too bad. I've only been one time and need to go check it out again. It's pretty fancy :).

Yeah I plan to definitely visit Vivid! When I first started reefing, I found their site and asked noob questions on their forum haha

Cool, I will have to ask you for suggestions when I make the trip :)

• Like 1

Daylight and PAR 38 LED

IMG_996722.jpg

Daylight Only (it looks a little extra yellow/warm in this pic than it is irl)

IMG_997022.jpg

I think I might want to get a second daylight bulb. The right side of the tank isn't getting as much light (why the macros don't look as bright)

As you can also see in this pic, the macros look better because I pulled the light down closer to the tank

IMG_998122.jpg

Nice little tank! Love the blue cloves. :wub:

Nice little tank! Love the blue cloves. :wub:

El fab just commented on my thread omgomgomg:bowdown:

Thank you! I know a lot of people don't like them, but it's pretty easy to prevent their takeover

Also, your pico was a huge inspiration for my original 3g, and was the first thread I looked at on NR, even before I joined

• Like 5

Yep! I need to post of a pic of it, I've been pretty busy packing

Yeah I plan to definitely visit Vivid! When I first started reefing, I found their site and asked noob questions on their forum haha

Cool, I will have to ask you for suggestions when I make the trip :)

I'm not much help on LFS, honestly :lol:. But if you go to Vivid, I will meet up with you there, if I can :).

I think el fab and blue cloves are synonymous!

• Like 1

Thank you! I know a lot of people don't like them, but it's pretty easy to prevent their takeover

It's super easy to take control of them! They're not that invasive at all and if they are it's definitely the good kind. Mine did extremely well in my pico that I even started a little blue clove operation. lol

I totally remember your 3g. Glad to see you still in the game. :)

It's super easy to take control of them! They're not that invasive at all and if they are it's definitely the good kind. Mine did extremely well in my pico that I even started a little blue clove operation. lol

I totally remember your 3g. Glad to see you still in the game. :)

Gotta love them :)

Thanks, glad you to see you visiting the forum again!

San Diego Update!

I survived the drive down on Sunday, and the tanks made it down ok too. I just unpacked the acans, the rest I unpacked on Sunday. Moving in by myself was an ordeal, took me around 3 hours :eek:

My 2 bettas and tetras are chilling in their 1g water bottles next to my bed, and the 5.5 is still in its box, also under my bed. It's only partially full but everything is fine. Idk if I want to fill it up again just to move it on Sept. 7th. It's just sitting water atm, I need to find my small pump and plug it in for circulation. I do need to light it soonish. My temporary desk is pretty small, so it would have stay on the floor. I'll take a few pics of how it is now, it doesn't even look like I have a tank :lol:

• Like 5

Gotta love them :)

Thanks, glad you to see you visiting the forum again!

I miss it! And I've clearly missed out on a lot. It's amazing to see how much has changed since I was in the hobby. Lots of new stuff and awesome things that people are doing.

I'm glad everything went OK! On Saturday I moved my daughter into her apartment for her senior year along with her betta and assorted neons and Cory cats. They made the trip in Tupperware containers in a cooler. No problems at all :)

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Yoshii, I have a question regarding that adorably tiny toadstool in the right mid-level section of your tank. My LFS has the exact same one on sale and I booked it about 1.5 weeks ago. Is it difficult to keep? Cranky/sensitive? How's the growth rate like? :happy:

I'm glad everything went OK! On Saturday I moved my daughter into her apartment for her senior year along with her betta and assorted neons and Cory cats. They made the trip in Tupperware containers in a cooler. No problems at all :)

...Are you my dad 2.5 years ago in the opposite direction? Father drove me home from college with my betta, neon tetras, and cory catfishes :P

I mean, also a clownfish and rocks and corals..

...Are you my dad 2.5 years ago in the opposite direction? Father drove me home from college with my betta, neon tetras, and cory catfishes :P

I mean, also a clownfish and rocks and corals..

Ha ha, yes, that sounds familiar!
  • Like 1

aquatic warehouse now has a pretty nice selection of overpriced bettas they "imported directly from thailand." If your pals die and you need replacements

Hi nippy!

I need to go shopping at AW soon!

so far my bettas are doing fine, and if they died I wouldn't get a new overpriced fancy one

I miss it! And I've clearly missed out on a lot. It's amazing to see how much has changed since I was in the hobby. Lots of new stuff and awesome things that people are doing.

Yeah a lot has changed in the past few years! I'm glad you're back :) Do you have a tank running?

Glad to hear they were alright!

I took some pics today, I'll upload them soon. I've been pretty busy since getting back to SD and won't be in town for the next few days

Yoshii, I have a question regarding that adorably tiny toadstool in the right mid-level section of your tank. My LFS has the exact same one on sale and I booked it about 1.5 weeks ago. Is it difficult to keep? Cranky/sensitive? How's the growth rate like? :happy:

It's a toad, really easy! Don't worry about it :) Likes moderate/lowish flow and moderate light

It doesn't grow as fast as some other softies, but it's been growing alot at the base for me

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

It's a toad, really easy! Don't worry about it :) Likes moderate/lowish flow and moderate light

It doesn't grow as fast as some other softies, but it's been growing alot at the base for me

That's good to know. Thank you so much for sharing this with me - I'll be sure to pick mine up once my tank is ready to hold corals. :happy:

• Like 1

Yeah a lot has changed in the past few years! I'm glad you're back :) Do you have a tank running?

Not at the moment but I am feeling the itch. But it's also been so long that I'm trying to figure out where to pick up. Add to that all the cool new stuff and changes so it's probably going to be a while before I get my hands wet again. But in the mean time I'm lurking around to see what people are doing. And this is the perfect place for it. ;)

• Like 3