Cultivated Reef

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

What's your success rate with macros? Every time I add some I always have a few species that seem to never grow and just die.

If you can find one helfrichis are great. A lot less expensive now, also super hardy. Once they put on some chub they won't mind a missed feeding once or twice a week too.

any fire fish really, forgot you upgraded (helfrichis are just smaller)

Nano sapiens

My green banded gobies eat pellets all the time :)

I second the GBGs. Mine have never jumped (can't say that for some other gobies), hardy and eat anything small sized (flake or frozen).

Tank looks real nice. I think the macros give it an instant 'more matured' look :)

• Like 1

I second the GBGs. Mine have never jumped (can't say that for some other gobies), hardy and eat anything small sized (flake or frozen).

Tank looks real nice. I think the macros give it an instant 'more matured' look :)

Sadly, the first few I got jumped like crazy. Even through a 1/4" gap between the lid and the back wall.

For whatever reason, the two I have now never jump. At least, not yet :lol:

Nano sapiens

Sadly, the first few I got jumped like crazy. Even through a 1/4" gap between the lid and the back wall.

For whatever reason, the two I have now never jump. At least, not yet :lol:

Fish are strange that way and they do get used to certain people/actions. I can feed/work on my tank all day long without any jumping, but if my wife comes in with a foreign object (book/papers/etc.) the Gobies in general go nuts and the Yellow Lined Cleaner Goby sometimes launches right out of the tank :wacko:

• Like 1

I think Teeny has suggested GBGs before, but sorry guys, I'm just not really a fan

What's your success rate with macros? Every time I add some I always have a few species that seem to never grow and just die.

If you can find one helfrichis are great. A lot less expensive now, also super hardy. Once they put on some chub they won't mind a missed feeding once or twice a week too.

any fire fish really, forgot you upgraded (helfrichis are just smaller)

I haven't had any macros shrivel and die, although I have lost a few smaller pieces due to them getting "lost" in the tank or accidentally buried in the sand. Some species can be difficult though, like Euchema and Cymopolia barbata

Maybe you don't have enough nutrients for them? Unless they are getting overgrow by pest algae

I do really like firefish, but I don't want a fish that will jump

• Like 1

I think Teeny has suggested GBGs before, but sorry guys, I'm just not really a fan

I haven't had any macros shrivel and die, although I have lost a few smaller pieces due to them getting "lost" in the tank or accidentally buried in the sand. Some species can be difficult though, like Euchema and Cymopolia barbata

Maybe you don't have enough nutrients for them? Unless they are getting overgrow by pest algae

I do really like firefish, but I don't want a fish that will jump

I have some portieria and gracilaria that have not grown and are starting to get hair algae growing on them. Also white patches, could be bite marks. I feed a lot and some of my macros seem to be doing well. Idk what to do. What salt mix do you use?

I know right! I need to find a large enough box for moving it

Lol those merletiis have been through so much. That 3 headed piece was part of the original frag I got several years ago, which grew nicely in my old 3g, but when I changed the rocks I only kept this piece (easier to get off the rock than the whole colony) and then later when I took down the 3g I saved the same piece for the 3.7g. However, I really need to glue it to a small rock because every time I moved it would always somehow get halfway buried in the sand. I think finally on the last move it lost 1 head because I forgot about in the sand :lol: Their fancy name is ATL Frost Bite Blasto

If you get a ton of growth on it between now and MACNA, and you feel like fragging and selling, I'd be first in line for a piece. Even if it's tiny :).

Merlettis are hardy little things I've discovered! Once they are glued to a rock they really take off. I have a colony now that is doing really well. It's going to need a bigger rock eventually.

• Like 1

Also, a big thank you to Gene (genetao) who gave me these plants for the 3.7! :happydance:

I'm taking my driftwood out to glue it to some slate but I'll post a pic when the dirt settles so you guys can see what happened to the 3.7

2016-08-13%2019.23.58.jpg

I'm glad you could put these plants to good use!! These were from my most recent trim.

Now you gotta create a planted tank thread!!! :lol: Or at least a FTS of your planted tank ;)

• Like 1

Beautiful as always Yoshi. Love the pics on the previous pages.

I think all fish jump if they are startled. Some are just jumpers though. Firefish being one of them.

Thanks Kat :)

One day I'll have firefish again, just not in this tank

I have some portieria and gracilaria that have not grown and are starting to get hair algae growing on them. Also white patches, could be bite marks. I feed a lot and some of my macros seem to be doing well. Idk what to do. What salt mix do you use?

Hmm. Portieria can be touchy and tends to be more fragile. Gracilaria shouldn't be troublesome though. Maybe it's their placement in the tank? Sometimes GHA likes areas of higher flow

I use natural sea water, no mix

If you get a ton of growth on it between now and MACNA, and you feel like fragging and selling, I'd be first in line for a piece. Even if it's tiny :).

Merlettis are hardy little things I've discovered! Once they are glued to a rock they really take off. I have a colony now that is doing really well. It's going to need a bigger rock eventually.

Sure! I'll start feeding more :P Actually I plan on going over to LA for a day and visiting as many fish stores as possible :lol: I'm not sure if I'll do that before or after MACNA, but I would love to meet up with other SoCal nano reefers! :)

I really need to glue mine to a rock so I stop loosing it in the sand. I think I'll do that today

I'm glad you could put these plants to good use!! These were from my most recent trim.

Now you gotta create a planted tank thread!!! :lol: Or at least a FTS of your planted tank ;)

How big is your tank?? I can't fit all that Trident fern in my tank!

I'll post one later today :) I think I added too much soil though

• Like 3
pappadumplingz

If you are still looking for a fish, I think a firefish will be nice, and I got mine into pellets after a few days, so if I can do it, I'm 100% sure you can.

Edit: didn't read post above :P

• Like 1

So this summer I started working at a different LFS so most of the employees there didn't know me that well.

A few weeks ago one of my coworkers asks why I'm collecting little bits of algae in this bag, and before I can respond, another one of my coworkers yells out, "Because she's the macro algae king!" :lol: They're learning quickly hahaha

20160808_220701.jpg

I actually need to post some pics of these neat macros! I've never had them before

Oh, and I realized I forgot to post my new tradition - a #tankselfie for all my future new tanks. Hopefully one day I'll be taking them from inside the tank!

20160808_202200resize.jpg

Holding a tank of Yoshis in one hand and a phone in the other while taking a picture is difficult!

• Like 10

Do you like little fish? I have ALWAYS wanted a bunch of trimmas. They'd be beautiful darting among your macros.

Actually my fav Trimma has been chilling at my LFS for a few weeks, but I don't want to get it cause I'm worried it might not eat enough when I move the tank twice in the first 2 weeks. Maybe after that, if I can find some Trimmas in SD :)

My move-in day just got pushed up a day, so now I'm actually moving this Sunday instead of Monday :scarry:

Then I move the tank again on Sept 7th. Just in time for MACNA :lol:

Also, during the first two weeks, I'll be in a "temporary" apartment, so I have no idea what kind of space I'll have. I'm kinda already planning to keep my two bettas (and a few tetras) and plants in two 1g bottled water containers for those two weeks since I'm not supposed to have 2 aquariums.

• Like 2

Actually my fav Trimma has been chilling at my LFS for a few weeks, but I don't want to get it cause I'm worried it might not eat enough when I move the tank twice in the first 2 weeks. Maybe after that, if I can find some Trimmas in SD :)

My move-in day just got pushed up a day, so now I'm actually moving this Sunday instead of Monday :scarry:

Then I move the tank again on Sept 7th. Just in time for MACNA :lol:

Also, during the first two weeks, I'll be in a "temporary" apartment, so I have no idea what kind of space I'll have. I'm kinda already planning to keep my two bettas (and a few tetras) and plants in two 1g bottled water containers for those two weeks since I'm not supposed to have 2 aquariums.

Awesome! That would be really neat for the tank. Which variety is your favorite? I like the bottle idea for the in-between time. :)

Awesome! That would be really neat for the tank. Which variety is your favorite? I like the bottle idea for the in-between time. :)

Trimma rubromaculatus, these little guys

g016a.jpg

I hope the bottle thing works, I'm a little worried about low oxygen levels at night, or overheating. Idk how I'm going to light it for the plants without roasting the fish

As least with FW I can just use conditioner with tap water, with my 5.5g, I'm going to have to run down to Scripps to grab SW, but I think I only have one 1g container left after the bettas...

• Like 6

Trimma rubromaculatus, these little guys

g016a.jpg

I hope the bottle thing works, I'm a little worried about low oxygen levels at night, or overheating. Idk how I'm going to light it for the plants without roasting the fish

As least with FW I can just use conditioner with tap water, with my 5.5g, I'm going to have to run down to Scripps to grab SW, but I think I only have one 1g container left after the bettas...

Adorable! I haven't seen that variety in person. My favorite are the Trimma cana.

Can you put them somewhere with very indirect light? I'm not really sure about the heating, although if you keep the ambient temp somewhere around acceptable levels they should be alright for awhile.

Adorable! I haven't seen that variety in person. My favorite are the Trimma cana.

Can you put them somewhere with very indirect light? I'm not really sure about the heating, although if you keep the ambient temp somewhere around acceptable levels they should be alright for awhile.

Trimma cana are much more common, this summer was actually the first time I've seen T. rubromaculatus in person

I don't have A/C, so temp might be a problem :/ I think I might just put them in indirect light and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Trimma cana are much more common, this summer was actually the first time I've seen T. rubromaculatus in person

I don't have A/C, so temp might be a problem :/ I think I might just put them in indirect light and see how it goes.

Little desk fan maybe? I dunno if leaving the caps off the water bottles would do much, but it might help regulate the temp. I wouldn't blow the fan at the top, evap would suck, but maybe just general movement of the air around the bottle.

Little desk fan maybe? I dunno if leaving the caps off the water bottles would do much, but it might help regulate the temp. I wouldn't blow the fan at the top, evap would suck, but maybe just general movement of the air around the bottle.

Yeah I have 2 fans, one for me and one for my tank :lol:

If I'm home when it gets too hot, I think I might stick them in the fridge. Being in a bottle with a handle can be convenient! But I'm usually going to be out during the hottest part of the day :/

If I'm home when it gets too hot, I think I might stick them in the fridge. Being in a bottle with a handle can be convenient! But I'm usually going to be out during the hottest part of the day :/

Haha, if you do, take a picture! I think they will be okay.

GunslingerGirl

I had to do something similar when I lived in the dorm....except it wasn't temporary. Evap was bad, but surprisingly the temp never really went above like 80.

RO ice cubes in a cup were a life saver for my saltwater makeshift QT tank. Once they melted I just let them sit until they were barely cold and dumped.

Also this tank is one of my inspirations for coming back to the hobby... just so you know. :) It's gorgeous!