ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 5.5g Macro Reef

yoshii

*Mini life update*
I graduated! Yay! I now have a B.S. degree in Marine Biology from UC San Diego. I've also been officially accepted to grad school at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (UCSD) for my MS :)
I also won one of the best poster prizes when I presented my research poster at Scripps in June. I'll be presenting again in a week in Hawai'i!

Tank Updates
The tank is pretty messy, and a lot of the corals are ugly/unhappy after I forgot to put an ice pack in their box when I moved back to the Bay for summer (whoops).
Moving the tank 5x/yr is getting annoying, and some of my more fragile stuff gets lost. But I still plan on bringing this tank(and my FW) with me to school this upcoming year.

So here's a pic I took 1 min ago on my cell phone. Try not to cringe too hard :P

It seems photobucket doesn't do 3rd party sharing anymore, does anyone have recommendations for another site?

CJ with Poster.jpg

8re.jpg

IMG_1286re.JPG

20049070_10213465718420443_1804538297_o.jpg

• Like 17

One other thing, as I'm not active on NR anymore, I still like to try to keep up with a few people via social media. If you post about your tank on instagram or fb, I'd love to follow you! Post/PM your username :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

*Mini life update*
I graduated! Yay! I now have a B.S. degree in Marine Biology from UC San Diego. I've also been officially accepted to grad school at Scripps Institution of Oceanography (UCSD) for my MS :)
I also won one of the best poster prizes when I presented my research poster at Scripps in June. I'll be presenting again in a week in Hawai'i!

Tank Updates
The tank is pretty messy, and a lot of the corals are ugly/unhappy after I forgot to put an ice pack in their box when I moved back to the Bay for summer (whoops).
Moving the tank 5x/yr is getting annoying, and some of my more fragile stuff gets lost. But I still plan on bringing this tank(and my FW) with me to school this upcoming year.

So here's a pic I took 1 min ago on my cell phone. Try not to cringe too hard :P

It seems photobucket doesn't do 3rd party sharing anymore, does anyone have recommendations for another site?

CJ with Poster.jpg

8re.jpg

IMG_1286re.JPG

20049070_10213465718420443_1804538297_o.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Ranjib said:

Congrats Yoshii

UCSD is super awesome! you'll love it there. It's heaven for all things marine in west coast.

Thanks! Yeah it's great! I chose UCSD because of Scripps :)

10 minutes ago, supernip said:

so can you get me all the stuffs from the oceans?

Lol nope, get it yourself!

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hawai'i was cool! I got to get dinner & drinks with some awesome post docs, deep-sea NOAA people, etc. And I got to go snorkeling & saw some cool endangered critters. I'll be posting pics soon, I need to get my post doc to send me the ones she took.

But anyways, today my coworker gave me a "small" chuck of Dragon's breath, and I found some of the purple photosynthetic sponge I've been wanting! A good day back at work :)

Surprisingly, my sister took good care of my tank, & didn't overfeed (like she did last time). So the tank is happy. however, it seems she didn't water my basil plant...

20314702_10213599107115077_1553517231_o.jpg

Also, idk if I shared this, but this was my grad cap

20348162_10213599106795069_80856570_o.jpg

• Like 12

Congratulations! I started going to school for marine biology a while back, but changed plans partway through. 

schgr.cube on Instagram, would love to follow more Nano-Reef people so give me a shout!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, yoshii said:

Hawai'i was cool! I got to get dinner & drinks with some awesome post docs, deep-sea NOAA people, etc. And I got to go snorkeling & saw some cool endangered critters. I'll be posting pics soon, I need to get my post doc to send me the ones she took.

But anyways, today my coworker gave me a "small" chuck of Dragon's breath, and I found some of the purple photosynthetic sponge I've been wanting! A good day back at work :)

Surprisingly, my sister took good care of my tank, & didn't overfeed (like she did last time). So the tank is happy.

Also, idk if I shared this, but this was my grad cap

20314702_10213599107115077_1553517231_o.jpg

20348162_10213599106795069_80856570_o.jpg

Very cool, that grad cap is beyond awesome. 

I recognize all of the plants except the one at the bottom corner, what is that one?

19 hours ago, neuwave said:

Graduation, Congrats Yoshi. I'm jealous. :)

Thanks! Cool to see you still on NR :)

15 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Very cool, that grad cap is beyond awesome. 

I recognize all of the plants except the one at the bottom corner, what is that one?

It's actually not the full thallus :P I'm pretty sure it's the tips of Halidrys dioica, a brown kelp-like alga

So from the top & going clockwise it's: Plocamium, Macroystis, Halidrys, Ulva

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Thanks! Cool to see you still on NR :)

I'm still here. ? Always taking a quick peak in to see what's new. I'm still reefing, have my 60g Solana up and running. Along with my 7 year old Clownfish. Otherwise this is my last year in college so it's kept me exhausted and not much time for anything else. 

HI snorkeling pics! It was a little choppy, so we stayed over the reef flat, but it was still fun to see the curious and friendly fish.
The pics don't hae the best composition as there was a glare on the camera screen I couldn't see what I was doing

Fun fact: The blue-line snapper is an introduced species meant to be a food fish, but it doesn't grow as big as it does in it's native range (Indo-Pacific).
Also, can you see the blenny hiding in one of the pics?

P1120015r.JPG

P1120016r.JPG

P1120021r.JPG

P1120030r.JPG

P1120034r.JPG

P1120042r.JPG

P1120044r.JPG

P1120054r.JPG

• Like 8

Congratulations on your graduation, Yoshii! I love your graduation cap, although for a second, I thought the picture of the zip lock back with the macros actually was your graduation cap :lol:

The HI snorkeling pics are fantastic - the snorkeling trip I took once in Hanauma Bay was a lifetime highlight for me. Where did you go?

Oh, and although I don't post that often, it's mostly pics of fish and corals and dogs and kids: https://www.instagram.com/johnebswagking

23 hours ago, neuwave said:

I'm still here. ? Always taking a quick peak in to see what's new. I'm still reefing, have my 60g Solana up and running. Along with my 7 year old Clownfish. Otherwise this is my last year in college so it's kept me exhausted and not much time for anything else. 

I feel ya there! I've been so busy I didn't buy anything new for the tank while I was in school.
Although now that I'm home, I may have just ordered a few things from live-plants... :P

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Congratulations on your graduation, Yoshii! I love your graduation cap, although for a second, I thought the picture of the zip lock back with the macros actually was your graduation cap :lol:

The HI snorkeling pics are fantastic - the snorkeling trip I took once in Hanauma Bay was a lifetime highlight for me. Where did you go?

Oh, and although I don't post that often, it's mostly pics of fish and corals and dogs and kids: https://www.instagram.com/johnebswagking

LOL I should edit that!

That was where I went! We just didn't go out beyond the reef flat as the vis wasn't very good

• Like 6
fishfreak0114

Awesome pictures!  I love snorkeling pics.  My parents wouldn't let me snorkel beyond the reef flat when we went to Hanauma Bay, but I did see some beautiful stuff.  I recognized your pic of the bay right away, I took one from roughly the same spot :)

• Like 1

Currently airing out my house cause one little clump of Gracilaria didn't like being in a box for 4 days...

But wow I forgot how big the portions are from GCE

IMG_20170727_144907219_HDR.jpg

• Like 10
5 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Currently airing out my house cause one little clump of Gracilaria didn't like being in a box for 4 days...

But wow I forgot how big the portions are from GCE

IMG_20170727_144907219_HDR.jpg

Love them. I'm getting a Refugium pack and C. Barbata from them tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, supernip said:

are you going to share?

Come to the bay and I'll give you some

22 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Love them. I'm getting a Refugium pack and C. Barbata from them tomorrow. 

Nice! Let me know how the barbata does, I've only had it once but I remember it being diffcult

Christopher Marks

Really interesting shots from snorkeling, thanks for sharing! Where all in Hawaii did you go?

If you're back into your Flickr account, or decide to make a new one, sharing Flickr photos here is super easy. All you have to do is paste the web address of the Flickr photo page into the editor and it will automatically embed, no more BBCode required. Photobucket really let everyone down, but Flickr should be a solid choice from now on.

• Like 2