SaltCritters.com

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

My rocks are dirty. I'm pretty sure I'm overfeeding....oops :blush:. Gonna have to cut down. Or clean my filter pad more than once a week. Or both :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%202.17.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%202.07.3

• Like 9

My rocks are dirty. I'm pretty sure I'm overfeeding....oops :blush:. Gonna have to cut down. Or clean my filter pad more than once a week. Or both :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%202.17.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%202.07.3

But your sand is not dirty!

• Like 1

OK, here goes!

Raised beds...the cucumbers on the left are now over the 6' fence, and the tomatoes on the right are over Laura's head.

771EBF27-222F-41D3-95CA-A08390D4FE0F_1.j

Down the right side of house...

7C18E30D-104B-4381-9C23-FA8F2CCEA3C0.jpg

Potted moonflower growing over 4-sided trellis on limestone pillar

F160C17F-BD36-4266-9331-2C565D2A6CF1.jpg

Bountiful goodness!

C1E24E66-D499-43A6-B254-60EB048D6A3E.jpg

• Like 5
FlowerMama

So comforting seeing a garden. It's fun seeing life generate and grow from a seedling or little plant to only what the sun and water can mainly provide. It's so true to earth.

• Like 2

But your sand is not dirty!

This is true :). But it's got a little diatoms in splotches but I know it could be worse :).

OK, here goes!

Raised beds...the cucumbers on the left are now over the 6' fence, and the tomatoes on the right are over Laura's head.

Bountiful goodness!

I LOVE it. I want to visit! Do you have any growth shots of the cucumbers and tomatoes? D said he would build me trellises for my zucchini too! I'm going to need it I think.

So comforting seeing a garden. It's fun seeing life generate and grow from a seedling or little plant to only what the sun and water can mainly provide. It's so true to earth.

Oh my gosh...I feel the same way Annette. As we get older I think we appreciate that sort of thing more too.

Kitties would rather look out the window than at my tank :rolleyes:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%205.11.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%205.12.1

My teenage son asked to go to Taco Bell for a 5-layer burrito as his pre-meal snack LOL. Didn't realize how much a teenage boy can eat! Well, I said no way. Make yourself something healthy. So I walk in the kitchen and see this :wub:.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%205.37.3

Ok, so he made the crackers, cheese and prosciutto. I added in the cherries and the radishes because fruit and vegetables don't cross his mind very often. But doesn't that look pretty? :lol:

• Like 8

I made my raised beds tall enough that I dont need to bend to tend them. It has made keeping up with them so much easier when I garden. I have not been able to put in a garden for the last two years but here is a link to a post I did, on my farm blog, two years ago, when I was using them more productively. Just so you can see the design and how we use them.

http://sanctuaryfarm.blogspot.com/2013/06/tying-up-tomatoes-pt2.html

I run my tank very basic as well. I was over feeding too when I first started up my tank... so I cut back and have noticed that if I slowly increase my feeds the tank can handle it. So I am up to feeding a lot more now.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Well, between gardens and pictures of nature's bounty, fish tanks, kittens in windows and food, I do enjoy this thread!

• Like 4

I made my raised beds tall enough that I dont need to bend to tend them. It has made keeping up with them so much easier when I garden. I have not been able to put in a garden for the last two years but here is a link to a post I did, on my farm blog, two years ago, when I was using them more productively. Just so you can see the design and how we use them.

http://sanctuaryfarm.blogspot.com/2013/06/tying-up-tomatoes-pt2.html

I run my tank very basic as well. I was over feeding too when I first started up my tank... so I cut back and have noticed that if I slowly increase my feeds the tank can handle it. So I am up to feeding a lot more now.

Oh wow! That blog :wub:. If I have any questions about my garden you are the one I will turn to. I peeked around the rest of your blog too. Chickens :wub:. I saw this : Mainly Buff Orphingtons, Barred rocks and a few others that we found reliable and good for our situation. My son also raise silkie bantams for fun to sell. These are exactly the types of chickens I love! Sounds like we have quite a bit in common :).

• Like 1

Yes! It appears we do! Silkies are such sweet little chickens. I will always have a few around. They are great at hatching out anykind of eggs I want to put under them. I love gardening and back yard farming. I have many times put a meal on our table that came entirely from our little farm. I used to grind wheat and make all our own bread and baked goods from scratch but haveing so many new babies in our home these last two years has made me have to prioritize many things in our lives. I know a day will come when I can get back to it and it wont be long. I still grind wheat and bake some and make cheese from our goat milk occationally and make our own Kombucha but right now my days are consumed with nine children still at home and the four youngest are 3,2,1 and 2 months old! Most of our children will never leave home as we take in and adopt children with special needs. I have 11 children. 9 are still living at home.

My family blog... I keep up to let my extended family know how we are doing but also to raise awareness about foster care, adoption and to try to encourage people to adopt children with special needs.

My family blog is

muchbiggerthanme.blogspot.com

If you care to stop by. :)

• Like 3

Yes! It appears we do! Silkies are such sweet little chickens. I will always have a few around. They are great at hatching out anykind of eggs I want to put under them. I love gardening and back yard farming. I have many times put a meal on our table that came entirely from our little farm. I used to grind wheat and make all our own bread and baked goods from scratch but haveing so many new babies in our home these last two years has made me have to prioritize many things in our lives. I know a day will come when I can get back to it and it wont be long. I still grind wheat and bake some and make cheese from our goat milk occationally and make our own Kombucha but right now my days are consumed with nine children still at home and the four youngest are 3,2,1 and 2 months old! Most of our children will never leave home as we take in and adopt children with special needs. I have 11 children. 9 are still living at home.

My family blog... I keep up to let my extended family know how we are doing but also to raise awareness about foster care, adoption and to try to encourage people to adopt children with special needs.

My family blog is

muchbiggerthanme.blogspot.com

If you care to stop by. :)

I will check it out! Thanks for sharing :).

I was just at the stove making dinner and looked over to see this little cutie. His favorite place to sleep is on these chairs. He switches back and forth between them. He cracks me up lol.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%207.59.4

• Like 8
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OK, here goes!

Bountiful goodness!

Now you're speaking my language
  • Like 1

Too cute they're picking out their favorite territories already. Are either one of them trying to claim your bed?

Last night around 2am I woke up and turned over and found Nora sleeping between me and my husband up by our heads lol. I guess Nicky was on the other side of my husband. I thought to myself, how sweet and turned over and went back to sleep :). They were sleeping under the bed but have moved to on the bed now.

Now you're speaking my language

Are peppers your thing?

• Like 3
FlowerMama

I never grew up with a dog in the bed, even though we always had a family dog. I was jealous of the kids in children's books that showed dogs at the ends of theirs. My cocker is the first to love the bed. I love it. I don't mind having a sleeping partner, until they push their feet against your back when they're trying to stretch and get comfortable. :P

• Like 3

Beautiful garden, Gena. I'm jealous! That has to be really nice.

Your rocks really don't look bad. Just looks like basic new tank syndrome stuff, so you may not even be over feeding.

Also, that kitten is just too adorable!

• Like 2

Kitties in bed at night...to sweet. :)

They kept my son awake last night :blink:. I told him we'll close his door from now on so they won't wake him up lol. Poor kid.

I never grew up with a dog in the bed, even though we always had a family dog. I was jealous of the kids in children's books that showed dogs at the ends of theirs. My cocker is the first to love the bed. I love it. I don't mind having a sleeping partner, until they push their feet against your back when they're trying to stretch and get comfortable. :P

I'm headed to the post today and will mail the bacteria in the bottle when I go :).

Beautiful garden, Gena. I'm jealous! That has to be really nice.

Your rocks really don't look bad. Just looks like basic new tank syndrome stuff, so you may not even be over feeding.

Also, that kitten is just too adorable!

Thanks, Felicia! yeah, they aren't terrible. just a little ugly lol.

• Like 2

So I had clicked to the last page of this thread and was scrolling down to the bottom. I caught the picture of the kittens in the window sill for a second as it zoomed by and I could have sworn it looked like they were looking out over the ocean. I thought to myself, "Well that is appropriate... heu wait a minute Gena doesn't live on the beachfront!" So I scrolled back to take a better look at the picture and saw I was of course mistaken, they were just looking out onto the yard and street. But I wanted to share what I saw for that split second, it was kinda cool:

Gena%20Kitties_zpsfafid9ag.jpg

• Like 4

Laura put in a change order for the trellis for theclimbing roses. The box style trellis is out, and now...

523E160C-2B7C-4F35-8F36-AAAF8B067492.jpg

Ohhhh...I like it! That's a fancy stone wall too!

So I had clicked to the last page of this thread and was scrolling down to the bottom. I caught the picture of the kittens in the window sill for a second as it zoomed by and I could have sworn it looked like they were looking out over the ocean. I thought to myself, "Well that is appropriate... heu wait a minute Gena doesn't live on the beachfront!" So I scrolled back to take a better look at the picture and saw I was of course mistaken, they were just looking out onto the yard and street. But I wanted to share what I saw for that split second, it was kinda cool:

Gena%20Kitties_zpsfafid9ag.jpg

Too funny! Wish I lived on the beach :).

So I made some purchases for this tank LOL. I couldn't resist Zia's sale thread. I'm getting some blastos :wub:. He's so generous too. Can't wait to see them in my tank!!!!!

• Like 5