inTank Media Baskets

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

natalia_la_loca

Can you explain the nutrient export of the Kenya tree briefly? Do all softies help with this or just a few? Maybe removing all my Xenia caused my biocube issues if it was exporting bad nutrients?

I don't have any particular expertise in this, but organisms consume and bind up nutrients as they grow, and when they die, those nutrients break down and are released into the system. So if the organism (or part of it) is removed, then that constitutes a form of nutrient export. I don't know whether the removal of fallen capnella/kenya tree branches makes a difference in terms of nutrient export, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Not sure if the removal of your xenia could have caused your issues, but it wouldn't surprise me at all given how fast they grow. I imagine they consume a lot of nutrients.

• Like 4

I like to see what your tank looks like after a couple of months but it's always a new one. I'm so behind on things. :rolleyes:

I don't change them that often :lol:. Thanks for stopping by :flower:. I promise this is it for a few years :).

Did you take a picture of the crack? I'm really happy with my Smart ATO, but still very leery about leaving something up to a machine to do! I have a smaller-than-1-gallon container that I still have to fill up every/every other day, but I'd rather do that than risk an over fill!

I didn't but I will when I get the new one in and the old one out. This tank doesn't go through the water like my old tank. I have about 2 gallons in a reservoir and it takes about 2 weeks to go through it.

I don't have any particular expertise in this, but organisms consume and bind up nutrients as they grow, and when they die, those nutrients break down and are released into the system. So if the organism (or part of it) is removed, then that constitutes a form of nutrient export. I don't know whether the removal of fallen capnella/kenya tree branches makes a difference in terms of nutrient export, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Not sure if the removal of your xenia could have caused your issues, but it wouldn't surprise me at all given how fast they grow. I imagine they consume a lot of nutrients.

Makes sense to me :).

I almost bought one from my lfs when he marked them down to $50 to clear them out but he talked me out of buying it.

Oh wow! Should have bought it! Once you get it working right it's an awesome ATO. I really like mine.

Great video! The colors all work so well together with the flow :wub: I've been asked to make some videos of my 4g tank but I'm not very good at it yet. You did a nice job :bowdown:

Well thank you :flower:. I'm not good at them either. Mostly getting the quality right is where I struggle. But something is better than nothing :). I say just go for it!
  • Like 3

I just got on my computer and saw your friday fun post. What a great way to end my Friday! Your dogs are so cute too! You have a houseful like we do here! Great fish shots too!

• Like 2

Omigosh, cutest pictures ever :flower:

Between the noses touching and Pinky peeking around the corner, I am overcome. Have a great weekend :)

• Like 3

Wow, the kittens are almost cats!

Thank You Gena! I actually just put a couple drops in my Bare Bottom Tank. Can't find Karat and either the red star or coral banded got her, just in case of any little spike in ammonia or anything.

20150709_193156_zpsy3fnohkf.jpg

Do you have to dose ammonia like Dr. Tim's?

Pectina would look sharp right between Xenia and Kenya. It would also keep them under control. I think you should try one ;)

+1 :)
  • Like 1

It doesn't say anything about that at all but I did put a couple drops in my small tank as it's only like 6g and I wanted to make sure the system took care of the ammonia, if there was, after Karat disappeared. Don't know if I needed to do that or not, just a safeguard I guess. I know they ate her right away.

• Like 1

Pectina would look sharp right between Xenia and Kenya. It would also keep them under control. I think you should try one

I considered that spot but I always think of the future and the space is just too small for growth. I think my neon trumpets and the merlettis below would be in the danger zone with sweepers :(. Otherwise would LOVE to place a rainbow pectina in that spot!

omgomgomg They're touching noses!!! :wub:

I know omgomgomg It's adorable and they do that a lot :). Usually it ends with Jack the dog giving Nora a bath with his tongue. And she likes it lol.

I just got on my computer and saw your friday fun post. What a great way to end my Friday! Your dogs are so cute too! You have a houseful like we do here! Great fish shots too!

Thank you :flower:. Glad you enjoyed them!

Omigosh, cutest pictures ever :flower:

Between the noses touching and Pinky peeking around the corner, I am overcome. Have a great weekend :)

:D

Thanks, John!

Pinky is so adorable! But not quite as much as those kittens!! :wub: Looks like everyone is getting along pretty well so far!

Yep...everyone gets along great!

I love when I walk into a room and find these guys napping in the silliest/cutest positions LOL.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-11%20at%209.59.2

So here is the latest FTS. I moved the xenia up. You can see the clean spot on the rocks where it once was. Thought about putting a rainbow pectina in that spot but decided there just isn't enough room. So I'll put one of the blastos from Zia there. Either the Black Heart or the Pink.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-11%20at%209.58.4

• Like 8

so cute!!!

And your reef... :wub: pastel, squishy beautifulness. Can't wait to see the blastos!

Thank you! I'm really excited about those blastos too. I WILL succeed this time lol. I think I finally know what NOT to do..trial and error.
  • Like 2

I've always been afraid to try them since everybody seems to have so much trouble with them. I hope I can learn from your success :)

• Like 2

Stunningly beautiful! Cant wait to see these Blastos everyone is ooohing about! I love Blastos they are some of my faves.

• Like 1

These are the blastos she is getting:

palys%20blasto3_zpsj9tjmvzm.jpg

Blastos -- either wellsi or merletti -- I don't have a problem keeping. I'd say my wellsi haven't kept their nice yellow ring they had when I first got them, but they have always been fluffy and happy and are growing two baby heads. I do feed them 1-2x weekly. They will take down things as large as brine shrimp. Now Cyphastrea on the other hand -- I can't get those corals happy to save my life.

• Like 5

Thank you! I'm really excited about those blastos too. I WILL succeed this time lol. I think I finally know what NOT to do..trial and error.

:scarry: I got some blastos for the first time ever not terribly long ago. Should I be worried?

• Like 1

Blastos -- either wellsi or merletti -- I don't have a problem keeping. I'd say my wellsi haven't kept their nice yellow ring they had when I first got them, but they have always been fluffy and happy and are growing two baby heads. I do feed them 1-2x weekly. They will take down things as large as brine shrimp. Now Cyphastrea on the other hand -- I can't get those corals happy to save my life.

OOh La La! Oh so pretty. Very nice and will look GREAT in the tank!

I have had three of the blastos in my tank thrive (two welsi and one merletti) and one I bought has just melted away no matter what I have done. It was a peach and white welsi.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Gena, is the pink streak wrasse light blue in the stripes opposite the pink? Still trying to decide on a wrasse.

I love my Yellow Coris Wrasse... Simple, yet a striking color in the aquarium and unique black spotted fins :)

• Like 1

I love my Yellow Coris Wrasse... Simple, yet a striking color in the aquarium and unique black spotted fins :)

Yeah, that gets up to 5", not putting it in a 10g. Ok, I'm tired of seeing my quote, you can find a different one from someone else now! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've always been afraid to try them since everybody seems to have so much trouble with them. I hope I can learn from your success :)

I hope you can learn from my success too fingerscrossed

:wub: aren't they gorgeous? I can't believe I'm getting them!

:scarry: I got some blastos for the first time ever not terribly long ago. Should I be worried?

No, don't be worried. This is what I've found. Keep them out of the sand! Don't let sand get on them and they should be just fine. When sand gets in the mouth it's doomsday. I have gotten rid of all animals that mess with sand. Mainly my leopard wrasse and my clams. And keep them up on the rockwork if at all possible. You will be fine. So will I!!!!! :)

OOh La La! Oh so pretty. Very nice and will look GREAT in the tank!

I have had three of the blastos in my tank thrive (two welsi and one merletti) and one I bought has just melted away no matter what I have done. It was a peach and white welsi.

Maybe since it was white it was unhealthy to begin with? I've never seen one that was white. It sounds super pretty though!

I've got some merletti's and they have been great. It's the wellsi's I'm that I've heard can be tricky.

I've had great luck with my merlettis too.

Gena, is the pink streak wrasse light blue in the stripes opposite the pink? Still trying to decide on a wrasse.

The stripes are actually yellow/orange against it's pink/purple body.

7-1-15no5_zpsntueurkp.png

I pulled out the cracked wet side of my Smart ATO and installed the new one that came in yesterday's mail. Here's what the crack looked like. I can see there is rust in there as well.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-12%20at%2010.03.

Hopefully the new one won't have that issue!

• Like 4

Geez. That is a major crack. How in the hell would that happen? Like it just sits in the tank. Not like you're banging it around.

• Like 1

Geez. That is a major crack. How in the hell would that happen? Like it just sits in the tank. Not like you're banging it around.

Must not be properly sealed and water gets in and it swells up and causes the crack. That's the only explanation I can come up with. Because it does just sit there lol.

edit: guess I need photos for the new page :lol:.

• Like 6