Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

I need to figure out how to brighten up my photos! I think it's the white background that is messing with the camera since it's the same light I was using with the cube and there wasn't an issue. I have no idea what to do to fix it. Anyone have a suggestion for what setting to put the camera at? It's a Canon Rebel T2i. You can see how dark these always turn out!

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-12%20at%205.24.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-12%20at%205.26.0

Guess I should go google camera settings. In other news, the blastos should be shipping tomorrow so they'll be here on Wednesday :D.

• Like 6

Ok, googled. Found some useful information on camera settings. I'm still playing around with it. My lights are still a couple of hours from being full intensity but I think I will see an improvement. The lighting on this new photo is lower intensity than the ones above but the exposure turned out the same. So maybe with the higher light intensity the photo will be brighter later on today. I guess I'll find out.

I also found where to set a custom white balance which I've never messed with before. I will conquer this camera LOL.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.16.

• Like 3

Ok, googled. Found some useful information on camera settings. I'm still playing around with it. My lights are still a couple of hours from being full intensity but I think I will see an improvement. The lighting on this new photo is lower intensity than the ones above but the exposure turned out the same. So maybe with the higher light intensity the photo will be brighter later on today. I guess I'll find out.

I also found where to set a custom white balance which I've never messed with before. I will conquer this camera LOL.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.16.

You crazy, I think the pics look great! :huh:

This^ but I get it Gena, we are our own worst critics :P
  • Like 1

Well thank you both. I am definitely my own worst critic. I just wish the pictures were brighter lol. I think I'm getting better at this though fingerscrossed.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.48.

7-13-15no1_zpsrzean5ax.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.47.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.49.

Now I definitely need to give this photography business a break and go water my garden :).

• Like 6

Well thank you both. I am definitely my own worst critic. I just wish the pictures were brighter lol. I think I'm getting better at this though fingerscrossed.

7-13-15no1_zpsrzean5ax.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.47.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2010.49.

Now I definitely need to give this photography business a break and go water my garden :).

Looks great Gena. Nice,clean and vivid. You should look at the terrible pics I have on my thread early on and up to a week ago,yuck lol.
  • Like 1

I totally agree with everyone else on this one. I have always drooled over your beautiful tank and the pictures you have put up.

I take mine with my cell phone and they are way bad but it is all I have.

No matter how you feel about your photography skills keep the pictures comming. :) Love seeing your tank mature and develope!

• Like 2

Looks great Gena. Nice,clean and vivid. You should look at the terrible pics I have on my thread early on and up to a week ago,yuck lol.

I totally agree with everyone else on this one. I have always drooled over your beautiful tank and the pictures you have put up.

I take mine with my cell phone and they are way bad but it is all I have.

No matter how you feel about your photography skills keep the pictures comming. :) Love seeing your tank mature and develope!

Thank you both and I will check out your pics pgr!!!!! More pictures incoming LOLOLOL. I think this is the most I've ever posted on one page :blush:. So I got some things done and decided to play with the camera again.

Well folks. THE FLASH IS MY FRIEND :happydance:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2012.35.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-13%20at%2012.34.

I am finally happy with these photos :D. I probably won't always be able to use the flash. Especially on angle shots or when I take a FTS. but some turned out pretty well.

• Like 6

I love the zs and p's gena!!

Thank you :flower:

exposure compensation?

How do I do that?

Except the poor PSW is like, "THE FLASH IS NOT MY FRIEND! STRANGER DANGER!"

I know lol. I blinded him a few times :blush:.

Everything looks great! Very nice photography. Fluffy and happy. Cant wait to see your blastos in there. Not long now!

Love your little crab peeking out. So cute. Is that one of his legs in the sand by him??!!! You wanted sharp, clear well exposed photography now I even see a crab leg!

Seriously though. Very bright warm pictures.

• Like 1

Lovely pics of a lovely tank. I think you are really going to enjoy this beautiful tank. I'm sure enjoying it from here!

• Like 1

I lost my camera but it couldn't even read the light to compensate. So my Samsung3 is the best I can do. But....same light on my Evolve8 but black background, move it over to the cycling 10g and the white is making a difference. Turning tons more blue. Oh joy! I know what you mean. I have more to learn on my phone now. Funny, same phone pics for Gertie's tank but that Par38 has more white.

But as with everyone else, I love your photos. You're too harsh on yourself.

• Like 2

Those trumpets! I wish mine didn't go and die on me!!

I've shipped them in the past...I could hook you up at some point :).

Everything looks great! Very nice photography. Fluffy and happy. Cant wait to see your blastos in there. Not long now!

Love your little crab peeking out. So cute. Is that one of his legs in the sand by him??!!! You wanted sharp, clear well exposed photography now I even see a crab leg!

Seriously though. Very bright warm pictures.

Awww...thanks! That's actually a shell piece. Had a few of those mixed in with my sand.

Blastos should be shipping tomorrow fingerscrossed.

Lovely pics of a lovely tank. I think you are really going to enjoy this beautiful tank. I'm sure enjoying it from here!

Thank you so much! I'm REALLY enjoying this tank :).

I lost my camera but it couldn't even read the light to compensate. So my Samsung3 is the best I can do. But....same light on my Evolve8 but black background, move it over to the cycling 10g and the white is making a difference. Turning tons more blue. Oh joy! I know what you mean. I have more to learn on my phone now. Funny, same phone pics for Gertie's tank but that Par38 has more white.

But as with everyone else, I love your photos. You're too harsh on yourself.

Thank you! I know I am tough on myself :blush:. I was just getting so frustrated that the photos were so dark and my pretty white background was looking blue in the pictures :angry:. I finally got it looking closer to what it really looks like :happydance:.

• Like 2

Most coral pictures don't look too good under flash but since yours are all pastel colors to begin with, the flash actually seems to help bring out the colors. The latest pictures look fantastic :wub:

Without the flash I think you'd have to shoot in RAW so you could do some post processing to bring up the shadows and correct the white balance.

• Like 1

There's so much goodness in this thread! Kitties, gardens, fish...it's like most of my favorite things all in one place :lol:

Pics of new blastos! omgomgomg My only wellsi is kinda on its last legs :closedeyes: have had weird luck with corals in this tank.

• Like 1

Most coral pictures don't look too good under flash but since yours are all pastel colors to begin with, the flash actually seems to help bring out the colors. The latest pictures look fantastic :wub:

Without the flash I think you'd have to shoot in RAW so you could do some post processing to bring up the shadows and correct the white balance.

In the past, pictures taken of my tank with flash looked terrible! Somehow this works :). And thank you :flower:.

There's so much goodness in this thread! Kitties, gardens, fish...it's like most of my favorite things all in one place :lol:

Pics of new blastos! omgomgomg My only wellsi is kinda on its last legs :closedeyes: have had weird luck with corals in this tank.

I know omgomgomg. These are a few of my favorite things :D.

Remember I said I was done with blastos???? I just can't give up on them. Love them too much :). Blastos should ship today and will be here tomorrow. So pictures on Friday??? Or sooner!

Well guys...can't change my mind now. I sold the Polka Dot nanobox light yesterday to a really nice NR member. Picked it up in person. I hope he has a tank thread here so I can still see it :).

• Like 5

Love how the tank is turning out. Awesome pictures as well. If you ever find the flash to bright or harsh, you can place a small white paper towel or napkin over it to help diffuse it.

• Like 1

Those latest photos look great, Gena! Getting the hang of dealing with the lighting for photography is always a pain. At least once you figure it out though, you can just keep those settings.

I normally really don't like trumpet corals, but yours are so pretty. Love how puffy they are, and the three different colors together!

I did not realize how tiny the GBG was! Such a cute little guy :) Also, I am realizing that your female clown is huge! Something about this tank seems to make the size perspective more clear.

• Like 2

Love how the tank is turning out. Awesome pictures as well. If you ever find the flash to bright or harsh, you can place a small white paper towel or napkin over it to help diffuse it.

Thank you! Thanks for the great tip too...I will try that :).

Those latest photos look great, Gena! Getting the hang of dealing with the lighting for photography is always a pain. At least once you figure it out though, you can just keep those settings.

I normally really don't like trumpet corals, but yours are so pretty. Love how puffy they are, and the three different colors together!

I did not realize how tiny the GBG was! Such a cute little guy :) Also, I am realizing that your female clown is huge! Something about this tank seems to make the size perspective more clear.

Thanks, Felicia! She's pretty big but has never bit me. I hear about all these feisty clownfish...thank goodness she's mild-mannered.

Beautiful Tank. Great Pictures! Where do you buy your corals?

Thank you so much! I buy them mostly online. Some local. Got my kenya tree, xenia and pink finger leather locally. Trumpets all came from online sources....reefgardener.com, and ebay. I've bought from Vivid Aquariums which is local to me. Unique Corals is a great source. KPA Aquatics. And NR hobbyists....I just ordered this gorgeous black heart blasto from Zia...

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-16%20at%204.56.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-16%20at%204.57.0

• Like 10