Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chris' custom 150

Chris!

Ya, I hear they are looking at putting more money into Flint to start cleaning it up??

The tank is coming along, I painted the inside of the stand white, glued the joints on the stand, I have my return pump and gyre pump. I still need my sump but I've figured out the one I want and will order this week. I want the eshopps RS 75 the new model-runs extremely quiet. It has a small footprint so I will also have room for my doser and containers inside. I was thinking I needed a huge sump with refugium but I am going in another direction- smaller just to hold my skimmer and reactors etc. no refugium- I think it's 16gal. What's your thoughts on filter socks- good, bad, difficult to clean?

We have a photo shoot mid July for a retro/pin up girl calendar- they are shooting it in our Tiki Room so I might now tear the tank down till after that-should be pretty cool to see our room on a calendar. Don't really want a freshly started tank in any shots

From what I've seen and heard (which I haven't been paying alot of attention lately honestly) its mostly been demolishing old buildings and turning them into grass lots or community gardens. They have been working on stuff downtown but its so close to the hood the efforts haven't had much lasting effect in previous years.

Glad to hear you have decided on the sump. FWIW I haven't ran a fuge in a few years, (other then right now with months of neglect....) I have had less nuisance algae problems doing carbon dosing/ biopellets then when I ran a 100g fuge on my 180g tank lol Do you plan on running pellets or carbon dosing on the new system or going to continue to focus on daily water changes? I've never run socks, I know guys that swear by them, I know guys who won't touch them. I think you would be ok as you stay on top of stuff pretty good, but I don't have the patience to change them every day/ other day (which is the only way I would personally run them). I know some claim they are fine for a week+ but that just seems like a detritus trap that is going to turn into a nitrate/phosphate factory and at some point start to defeat the purpose..... especially with your feeding habits. :lol:

Thats awesome man! Your room is definitely sweet enough to be featured in a calander on its own throw some sexy pin ups in there and all the better! Tell em you need to get a copy to send to Flint ;) lol

Good to hear from you. Hopefully you can get moved, get the tank setup, and get back in the game soon. :)

Yeah I have just been stupid busy lately. Tons of stuff going on around here, somewhat lazy day today as I am waiting on the rest of my stupid special order siding to come in. Someone measured wrong and I ordered less siding then I needed and of course we bought the upgraded shit cuz we were planning to stay here when I ordered it, thankfully its just for the side of the garage that is 2' from the fence near the renters next door LOL

My crazy ass is looking at buying a house that is a complete gut that needs about 45k, and putting it back exactly how I want it. So if that happens I may not be around much for quite a while :wacko: The upside is it is 2 small blocks from the elementary school where my boys would go so we could saddle up the horse and have her drop them off :lol:

On a good note I think I have a solid chance at winning ReefCleaners ugly tank contest if I actually break down and take a picture of this monstrosity LOL

Yea I was thinking the other day on here where's Chris! ?

Yeah Chris, what up with you bro :slap:

Sorry guys been super busy around here lately finishing up alot of different projects. Starting to get to where I don't have much more to go thankfully so I may be able to pop in a bit more often for a little while. If the plan above goes down tho there will likely be a few months that I will be MIA while I really bust ass on rehabbing a new place. Since where we are now is shitty compared to where we are moving my options are sell this place and throw down another 20-50k on a new finished house, or buy a fixer fully redo it and throw 10-20k back in my pocket now after the rehab and have 50k+ in equity once its completed.... I like the 2nd option.

Yeah Chris, what up with you bro :slap:

Hey you don't get to question my whereabouts you were MIA for how long??? lol

• Like 5
Nanofreak79

From what I've seen and heard (which I haven't been paying alot of attention lately honestly) its mostly been demolishing old buildings and turning them into grass lots or community gardens. They have been working on stuff downtown but its so close to the hood the efforts haven't had much lasting effect in previous years.

Glad to hear you have decided on the sump. FWIW I haven't ran a fuge in a few years, (other then right now with months of neglect....) I have had less nuisance algae problems doing carbon dosing/ biopellets then when I ran a 100g fuge on my 180g tank lol Do you plan on running pellets or carbon dosing on the new system or going to continue to focus on daily water changes? I've never run socks, I know guys that swear by them, I know guys who won't touch them. I think you would be ok as you stay on top of stuff pretty good, but I don't have the patience to change them every day/ other day (which is the only way I would personally run them). I know some claim they are fine for a week+ but that just seems like a detritus trap that is going to turn into a nitrate/phosphate factory and at some point start to defeat the purpose..... especially with your feeding habits. :lol:

Thats awesome man! Your room is definitely sweet enough to be featured in a calander on its own throw some sexy pin ups in there and all the better! Tell em you need to get a copy to send to Flint ;) lol

Yeah I have just been stupid busy lately. Tons of stuff going on around here, somewhat lazy day today as I am waiting on the rest of my stupid special order siding to come in. Someone measured wrong and I ordered less siding then I needed and of course we bought the upgraded shit cuz we were planning to stay here when I ordered it, thankfully its just for the side of the garage that is 2' from the fence near the renters next door LOL

My crazy ass is looking at buying a house that is a complete gut that needs about 45k, and putting it back exactly how I want it. So if that happens I may not be around much for quite a while :wacko: The upside is it is 2 small blocks from the elementary school where my boys would go so we could saddle up the horse and have her drop them off :lol:

On a good note I think I have a solid chance at winning ReefCleaners ugly tank contest if I actually break down and take a picture of this monstrosity LOL

Sorry guys been super busy around here lately finishing up alot of different projects. Starting to get to where I don't have much more to go thankfully so I may be able to pop in a bit more often for a little while. If the plan above goes down tho there will likely be a few months that I will be MIA while I really bust ass on rehabbing a new place. Since where we are now is shitty compared to where we are moving my options are sell this place and throw down another 20-50k on a new finished house, or buy a fixer fully redo it and throw 10-20k back in my pocket now after the rehab and have 50k+ in equity once its completed.... I like the 2nd option.

Hey you don't get to question my whereabouts you were MIA for how long??? lol

I personally find it rewarding to hang new doors, do Sheetrock, even some electrical..to a point. I'd take the pit some cash in my pocket idea, JMO, of course!

I ordered from reef cleaners and most the shipment came in DOA. I sent pics, had it overnighted my cost and he won't send me anything else?WTF? He returned my money after I made another order, saying we can maybe try at a later date, or when the weather is nicer. I'm pretty upset about it honestly. I know if I put up my story on here complaining about the service I'll just get bashed sooooooo #### him I'll go spend a million at the LFS to get them.Lol

I was Mia for a few months at least.

I personally find it rewarding to hang new doors, do Sheetrock, even some electrical..to a point. I'd take the pit some cash in my pocket idea, JMO, of course!I ordered from reef cleaners and most the shipment came in DOA. I sent pics, had it overnighted my cost and he won't send me anything else?WTF? He returned my money after I made another order, saying we can maybe try at a later date, or when the weather is nicer. I'm pretty upset about it honestly. I know if I put up my story on here complaining about the service I'll just get bashed sooooooo #### him I'll go spend a million at the LFS to get them.LolI was Mia for a few months at least.

I'm sick of all my paragraphs and auto correct shit #### this in out..

Now it quoted my own post derp

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Well, you guys still have a world class farmers market! I hear they are redoing the Swayze Hotel one of the historic ones- my wife used to live there. Hopefully things will head in the right direction. I think my light should be ready in the next couple of weeks so that will kick start me for sure. Had to do some fragging things are filling up to crazy levels?.

• Like 1

I personally find it rewarding to hang new doors, do Sheetrock, even some electrical..to a point. I'd take the pit some cash in my pocket idea, JMO, of course!

I ordered from reef cleaners and most the shipment came in DOA. I sent pics, had it overnighted my cost and he won't send me anything else?WTF? He returned my money after I made another order, saying we can maybe try at a later date, or when the weather is nicer. I'm pretty upset about it honestly. I know if I put up my story on here complaining about the service I'll just get bashed sooooooo #### him I'll go spend a million at the LFS to get them.Lol

I was Mia for a few months at least.

I'm sick of all my paragraphs and auto correct shit #### this in out..

Now it quoted my own post derp

Yeah I like doing alot of the work myself. My knee didn't like the last round of flooring/ changing electrical outlets. Have a nice big ping pong ball sticking out the side :wacko: OH well just gonna stick it out til it completely blows, get my moneys worth on the redo LOL

Yeah I wasn't impressed with RC's shipping skills on the rock, I'd definitely be worried about live stuff. I'm not big on a huge CUC anyways tho.... I still haven't added any snails or anything to the tank. Thats pretty screwed up tho, I thought he had a decent DOA policy (tho its been a while since I've looked so I dunno....)

Well, you guys still have a world class farmers market! I hear they are redoing the Swayze Hotel one of the historic ones- my wife used to live there. Hopefully things will head in the right direction. I think my light should be ready in the next couple of weeks so that will kick start me for sure. Had to do some fragging things are filling up to crazy levels.

Yeah the new farmers market is really sweet, top of the line for sure! I haven't heard anything about the Swayze Hotel being redone, but I've been busy and don't really read the paper or watch the news its more depressing and bad news then anything else 99.9% of the time unfortunately.

Thats awesome about the light, which one did you end up going with?? Filling up to crazy levels is a good problem to have for sure man! Gonna trade it in for credit at the LFS to get ya a good start on the new tank going, or do you have locals and stuff you can trade with?

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Yeah the new farmers market is really sweet, top of the line for sure! I haven't heard anything about the Swayze Hotel being redone, but I've been busy and don't really read the paper or watch the news its more depressing and bad news then anything else 99.9% of the time unfortunately.

Thats awesome about the light, which one did you end up going with?? Filling up to crazy levels is a good problem to have for sure man! Gonna trade it in for credit at the LFS to get ya a good start on the new tank going, or do you have locals and stuff you can trade with?

Got one of Dave's hybrids- quad/quad- a little over kill for the 50gal. But I am planning ahead. I am gonna transfer pretty much everything and let it grow larger and larger. I figure these corals can pretty much be on the bottom to middle and then pick up some harder Acros for the top - that's my plan atleast. I'd love to see the colonies grow huge- then it's time for a 100+ tank?

• Like 1

Got one of Dave's hybrids- quad/quad- a little over kill for the 50gal. But I am planning ahead. I am gonna transfer pretty much everything and let it grow larger and larger. I figure these corals can pretty much be on the bottom to middle and then pick up some harder Acros for the top - that's my plan atleast. I'd love to see the colonies grow huge- then it's time for a 100+ tank

His lights look really nice! Sounds like you've got a good future plan going, I like the way you think! ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

what's happening on your end? How's the house coming along? Tank?

Not to much, had another showing tonight... hopefully getting closer to being out of this place! Tanks still up for now, not much to look at but the corals are still alive under all the algae somehow lol

Hey bro! Don't see you cruising threads much anymore. I know your a busy guy lately.

Yeah been crazy around here.... On top of everything else I've put 18k miles on my car since I got it in march so busy and heading in a million directions sums things up right about now lol

• Like 3

Dean bro.....I hate driving long distance or being a taxi driver : )

I've always drove alot, it doesn't really bother me much.

Well its been fun but this installment of Chris types is over. :lol:

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Kids are great :) lol

tumblr_n2jdusi1cs1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Did a couple water changes tanks looking a bit less like a swamp then before. Probably pick up an urchin and or a rabbitfish or something to help out my lone molly. Running dual skimmers when I remember to top off to keep enough water to actually run the 2nd skimmer lol

• Like 3

Hey hey! Why running two skimmers

I neglected the tank far to long to just keep going with only one. Its cleared the cess out of the pool quite nicely. My main skimmer is rated for around 400g if I remember right and the other for about 200ish lol The main would have done it just taken longer I'm sure. The water is back to being clear it was a nasty green, and the algae is fading off, tho still excessive.

• Like 2

Decided to go out and pick up a couple fish today.... came home with a 2 bar rabbitfish, yellow tang, long spine urchin, and a orange/red starfish that my oldest was excited about (until we got it home of course lol).

• Like 5

Decided to go out and pick up a couple fish today.... came home with a 2 bar rabbitfish, yellow tang, long spine urchin, and a orange/red starfish that my oldest was excited about (until we got it home of course lol).

Picture! Past due for a photo update ;)

Picture! Past due for a photo update ;)

When the algae is gone maybe, its nothing worth posting right now. The rabbit is munching away pretty good tho so hopefully it won't be to long lol

• Like 2