Innovative Marine Aquariums

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Hi all. I have a Fusion 10 on the way (possibly one of the last currently available in Australia as the distributor seems to have packed up shop).

In all this information I haven't seen anyone using a nano chiller or any other cooling methods.

Do any of you guys need to cool your tank and if so what methods are you using?

I currently have a DIY chiller on my Ocean Free Nano Marine 2 and will most likely use this on the Fusion 10 once I swap everything over to it.

Cheers

Edit: Actually just found a good post by a user here with a chiller plumbed in. Looks like it does the trick.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I have a Fusion 10 on the way (possibly one of the last currently available in Australia as the distributor seems to have packed up shop).

In all this information I haven't seen anyone using a nano chiller or any other cooling methods.

Do any of you guys need to cool your tank and if so what methods are you using?

I currently have a DIY chiller on my Ocean Free Nano Marine 2 and will most likely use this on the Fusion 10 once I swap everything over to it.

Cheers

Edit: Actually just found a good post by a user here with a chiller plumbed in. Looks like it does the trick.

I think that would work fine. Personally, I just mounted a small computer fan so that it blows left to right across the back chambers. I use my Apex to turn it on and off when the temperature in the tank gets too high. It works fine for me, although when I lost my air conditioning for a day I had to temporarily install a bigger clip fan to keep the temperature under control.

Does the PP-4 create too much flow? Considering this if the MP-10 route doesn't work out.

Most people that use the Jebao pumps switch out to a 12v power supply instead of the 24v, which reduces the flow. I don't know if that is necessary for the PP-4, though.

In case you are interested, added updated photos in my thread.

It's looking great!

• Like 1

Hello everyone. I just purchased a IM fusion 10g for what I feel like was a steal. I recently saw one at my lfs and felt the need to get one especially after seeing all your posts over the past year or so. Luckily I held off. Glad I did because I got an email from Marine Depot last week with a 15% off coupon on any 1 item. Total for the tank was $84.15 with free shipping and no tax. Thats a much better price than $107 it would have cost me at my lfs. Anyways I have a few questions on which equipment to use with it.

1. Do you prefer the filter sock it comes with or a media basket. If media baster which one is better? The IM one or InTank ( is there a difference beside price)

2. What aftermarket pump is the best and that makes the least noise?

3. Do you prefer the IM spin stream or Hydor Flo rotating water deflector. I already have a Hydor flo I used for a little while on another tank that I'm no longer using.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I just purchased a IM fusion 10g for what I feel like was a steal. I recently saw one at my lfs and felt the need to get one especially after seeing all your posts over the past year or so. Luckily I held off. Glad I did because I got an email from Marine Depot last week with a 15% off coupon on any 1 item. Total for the tank was $84.15 with free shipping and no tax. Thats a much better price than $107 it would have cost me at my lfs. Anyways I have a few questions on which equipment to use with it.

1. Do you prefer the filter sock it comes with or a media basket. If media baster which one is better? The IM one or InTank ( is there a difference beside price)

3. Do you prefer the IM spin stream or Hydor Flo rotating water deflector. I already have a Hydor flo I used for a little while on another tank that I'm no longer using.

Thanks!

I just started a Fusion 10 after not being happy with an Ocean Free Nano. I have gone with the InTank media basket and find it awesome. For a return pump I have the Aqua Medic DC runner 1.2 with the IM Spin Stream.

The return pump is massively overpowered and I run it on the lowest setting but with the spin stream I have currently found that the flow is terrific and shouldn't need a wave maker in the tank.

I used the overpowered pump as I have plans to plum it through my DIY nano chiller and may need to up the flow as well.

• Like 3

Thanks!

I have the InTank. Most of us generally do. I am using the stock pump and have a RW4 in the tank, but I am interested in seeing what you guys cone up with. I would love to run the tank without the wavemKer.

I just started a Fusion 10 after not being happy with an Ocean Free Nano. I have gone with the InTank media basket and find it awesome. For a return pump I have the Aqua Medic DC runner 1.2 with the IM Spin Stream.

Can you post a pic of this top down?

The return pump is massively overpowered and I run it on the lowest setting but with the spin stream I have currently found that the flow is terrific and shouldn't need a wave maker in the tank.

I used the overpowered pump as I have plans to plum it through my DIY nano chiller and may need to up the flow as well.

• Like 1

I have the InTank. Most of us generally do. I am using the stock pump and have a RW4 in the tank, but I am interested in seeing what you guys cone up with. I would love to run the tank without the wavemKer.

I have an InTank as well for my Spec V and love it but i'm still considering the IM media basket due to significant cost savings. I guess the question shouldn't be which one to choose but does anyone even use the IM basket? If so do you like it?

• Like 1

I haven't heard anyone report that they liked the IM basket, but I don't know that I've heard anything bad either. I do know the stock basket (back when they provided it instead of the sock) was terrible.

But with all the money you are about to spend, don't cheap out over a $20 price difference for the media basket. The inTank is really well thought out and works great.

As far as return pumps go, it just depends on what approach you want - circulation pump or no. If you go with any kind of circulation pump, the stock return pump works just fine. If you are going to rely on the return pump to be your only source of current in the tank, you'll definitely have to upgrade.

There are advantages to a separate circulation pump beyond not having to buy a bigger return pump:

1. You can turn off the return pump during feeding to avoid clogging the filter, and leave the circulation pump on to blow the food around.

2. You will get much more flow with a circulation pump, and you can place it wherever it works best in your particular scape.

3. Having two different flows from the two pumps crossing over each other gives a much more random (and healthy) flow.

Finally, I like the spin stream over the hydor flow because it's a little bit smaller. But some have reported they've gotten noisy units. Mine is silent, though. I have both and they both work just fine, so it's just a matter of preference.

• Like 1

I did the 12V mod to my RW-4, which is the predecessor to the PP-4. I did it because the flow was very... intense if anything is placed directly in the stream. The mod helped with that.

I tried a spin stream with the stock pump recently and didn't care for it. Maybe if I upgrade the return pump but... meh.

• Like 1

Nola Bear, I assume you wanted a top down of the Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.2 in the return section. As you can see it fits just fine with the plastic intake screen removed. It is running fine and I can't hear it running at all.

29961121655_32597da5e8_c.jpgAqua Medic DC Runner 1.2 return pump

Thanks! Took me a second to realize that it was reflection and not three pumps, ha! Looks like it fits great. I would love to see it running with the spin stream with a flowing coral like a frogspawn or a hairy acro. Do you have corals in your tank yet or is this still cycling. I'm guessing you are still cycling just based on how clean the back chamber is. Once you have some flowing corals, can you upload a vid please?

• Like 1

Thanks! Took me a second to realize that it was reflection and not three pumps, ha! Looks like it fits great. I would love to see it running with the spin stream with a flowing coral like a frogspawn or a hairy acro. Do you have corals in your tank yet or is this still cycling. I'm guessing you are still cycling just based on how clean the back chamber is. Once you have some flowing corals, can you upload a vid please?

I actually had an Ocean Free Nano Marine tank before this and have transferred everything over so I have a hammer coral in there which shows the flow nicely. Its sitting about the middle of the tank and I may have to move it as I think it may be getting too much flow. I'll see if I can get a nice video of it.

That picture is before I added the water and stock from my other nano reef.

• Like 1

About to add an ATO to my fusion 10g but not sure about what water level I should be aiming for.. using stock media basket, would love to get intank but CAN $ sucks at present..

You want the level to be where the water flowing out of the middle chamber has to fall about 1/2" into the third (pump) chamber. The ATO sensor should go in the pump chamber because that's where you will have the most constant water level.

There's a little diagram somewhere in the IM10 instructions that show the correct water level, btw. Hope this helps!

Here's a short video just showing the equipment that I currently have in my Fusion 10 along with the flow that I'm getting without a wave maker in my tank.

• Like 2

I haven't heard anyone report that they liked the IM basket, but I don't know that I've heard anything bad either. I do know the stock basket (back when they provided it instead of the sock) was terrible.

But with all the money you are about to spend, don't cheap out over a $20 price difference for the media basket. The inTank is really well thought out and works great.

As far as return pumps go, it just depends on what approach you want - circulation pump or no. If you go with any kind of circulation pump, the stock return pump works just fine. If you are going to rely on the return pump to be your only source of current in the tank, you'll definitely have to upgrade.

There are advantages to a separate circulation pump beyond not having to buy a bigger return pump:

1. You can turn off the return pump during feeding to avoid clogging the filter, and leave the circulation pump on to blow the food around.

2. You will get much more flow with a circulation pump, and you can place it wherever it works best in your particular scape.

3. Having two different flows from the two pumps crossing over each other gives a much more random (and healthy) flow.

Finally, I like the spin stream over the hydor flow because it's a little bit smaller. But some have reported they've gotten noisy units. Mine is silent, though. I have both and they both work just fine, so it's just a matter of preference.

Thanks for all of the great info! I'll more than likely go with a circulation pump as well as the spin stream. Time to start making some decisions on equipment. Luckily i'm in no rush to get it all setup. Tank will be here Thursday though and i'm excited to see it!

• Like 1

Here's a short video just showing the equipment that I currently have in my Fusion 10 along with the flow that I'm getting without a wave maker in my tank.

Thanks for the video. Nice looking setup. What skimmer are you using?

• Like 1
n0rcal2wheeler

Was wondering about adding a slipstream and upgrading the return pump. Was wondering the best return pump that is quiet and is the right gph without needing adjusted flow/valve??

• Like 1
n0rcal2wheeler

Was wondering about adding a slipstream and upgrading the return pump. Was wondering the best return pump that is quiet and is the right gph without needing adjusted flow/valve??

I should also say that i want to remove the koralia i currently have in the display and only have the upgraded return for flow. Tank is mainly zoas, mushrooms, and a frogspawn

• Like 1

You want the level to be where the water flowing out of the middle chamber has to fall about 1/2" into the third (pump) chamber. The ATO sensor should go in the pump chamber because that's where you will have the most constant water level.

There's a little diagram somewhere in the IM10 instructions that show the correct water level, btw. Hope this helps!

Ok just wanted to check that the recommended was good level.. th much

I should also say that i want to remove the koralia i currently have in the display and only have the upgraded return for flow. Tank is mainly zoas, mushrooms, and a frogspawn

As you can see from my video the the Aqua Medic DC Runner 1.2 return pump on lowest setting provides great flow along with the spin stream nozzle. You may even have success with some SPS if you place it in the direct flow path on the right side of the tank up high.

Has anyone had a problem with "leaks" caused by the plastic clips holding the cover? I've tried removing the spinstream, lowering the water level to 3/4" below the top of the tank, but I still have a pool of water by the tank when I wake up in the morning. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd just remove the lid and clips, but I have a tailspot blenny that I'd hate to lose!

I did a search for this but didn't find the answer, so sorry in advance if this has been brought up before.

• Like 1

Has anyone had a problem with "leaks" caused by the plastic clips holding the cover? I've tried removing the spinstream, lowering the water level to 3/4" below the top of the tank, but I still have a pool of water by the tank when I wake up in the morning. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd just remove the lid and clips, but I have a tailspot blenny that I'd hate to lose!

I did a search for this but didn't find the answer, so sorry in advance if this has been brought up before.

My water level pretty much sits at the base of those clips and I haven't had and leaks or water spilling over due to that.