Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Okay....I officially have the bug. I'm looking into a bigger tank. It's a ways off, unless I'm up for a divorce....I'm Looking into a ~60 gal long/wide and mimicking the IM design and building my own AIO acrylic false wall with chambers and . I'd either copy the 30L or the 40, which are slightly different.

I'm tirelessly looking at used tanks, but I find myself gravitating towards a new deep blue. Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions are welcome, please.

I want more fish, and I want to grow out my sps and othe corals into halfway decent colonies. I thought about a cube, but I want the fish to be able to swim.

Here are a couple quick copycat drawings I did for the false wall....

post-89740-0-17361900-1479771168_thumb.jpg

post-89740-0-45110300-1479771179_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good luck! Just curious, why not do a sump with a tank that big?

Thanks! Yeah, I really like the design and simplicity of AIO. I guess I just really do not want to have all the other clutter either. In my mind, I think there is the theory that I want to mitigate risk and remove points of failure, too, and an AIO does eliminate room for error by not drilling and compromising the integrity of the glass and by removing exterior plumbing.

Do you think it is a bad idea with this much water? IM has the SR series, which is my inspiration....

• Like 1

I can't really say from experience, having never owned a tank with a sump. But generally having a sump makes for a better tank simply because it give more water volume and a lot more flexibility to have a much bigger skimmer. And the back chambers in an AIO tend to accumulate crap that's a lot harder to clean out because it's difficult to remove all the equipment and actually see what you're doing when you clean.

But you're right, the AIO design is much simpler. But I wonder if all the time and effort put into a DIY AIO system wouldn't be better spent doing a well-designed and built sump. After having done the IM40, I frequently wish I had gone with a slightly small tank with the same display size, and put in a sump under the cabinet.

• Like 2

Thanks! Yeah, I really like the design and simplicity of AIO. I guess I just really do not want to have all the other clutter either. In my mind, I think there is the theory that I want to mitigate risk and remove points of failure, too, and an AIO does eliminate room for error by not drilling and compromising the integrity of the glass and by removing exterior plumbing.

Do you think it is a bad idea with this much water? IM has the SR series, which is my inspiration....

I can't really say from experience, having never owned a tank with a sump. But generally having a sump makes for a better tank simply because it give more water volume and a lot more flexibility to have a much bigger skimmer. And the back chambers in an AIO tend to accumulate crap that's a lot harder to clean out because it's difficult to remove all the equipment and actually see what you're doing when you clean.

But you're right, the AIO design is much simpler. But I wonder if all the time and effort put into a DIY AIO system wouldn't be better spent doing a well-designed and built sump. After having done the IM40, I frequently wish I had gone with a slightly small tank with the same display size, and put in a sump under the cabinet.

I have to agree with Teeny on this Nola Bear. A DIY modded 60gal all in one tank just doesn't seem worth it. Building the chambers to house a large enough skimmer for that size of tank will be (1) difficult (2) likely to leak eventually - based on threads I've read.

Like Teeny, I can't speak from experience as I've never owned a tank with an actual sump, but the advantages are pretty clear as you'll have plenty of space to house all of the mechanical stuff and not have to cram things into the back chambers of an AIO. If you're wanting more fish, you'll want a good size skimmer.

• Like 1

If you guys were cereal, you'd be Bunch'0 Naysayers with extra granola bits. Hahaha. ;(0)

I totally hear what you both are saying. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm not entirely sure about the leaking business though since the tank itself would be whole and unaffected. All I would do is cut some 1/4" acrylic and bond the pieces together into whichever size chambers I want and then silicone them in place. Right? Am I not considering something? I wouldn't be adding onto the back of the tank, I would be inserting the chambers into the tank and adhering them to what would be the back wall of the peninsula.

The IM SR series comes in a 60, 80, and 120. Do you guys think that these tanks are impractical? The idea is that if I can't make one for less, I'd just buy the SR60. But I think I could do it for less.

Last night, I was looking pretty hard at the deep blue 80, the dimensions are great. The DB60 only has a 12"height, whereas the 80 has a 16"height.

• Like 1

The IM SR series comes in a 60, 80, and 120. Do you guys think that these tanks are impractical? The idea is that if I can't make one for less, I'd just buy the SR60. But I think I could do it for less.

Yes, but these tanks have the rear chambers along a long side, not a short side. So they would be relatively bigger than chambers you make on a short side.

I've thought about a 60+ gallon tank too, but the idea of a sump just freaks me out. I want all my water in one 'box' so there's less chance of over flow. I'm also the person that will top off my ATO container once a day because I don't want that to fail either!

• Like 1

Yes, but these tanks have the rear chambers along a long side, not a short side. So they would be relatively bigger than chambers you make on a short side.

I've thought about a 60+ gallon tank too, but the idea of a sump just freaks me out. I want all my water in one 'box' so there's less chance of over flow. I'm also the person that will top off my ATO container once a day because I don't want that to fail either!

Thanks Kimberbee!

I wonder if it is just about matching the cubic area. I will take a look at the numbers and see how big I would have to make the chamber on the short wall to match the cubic area of the Sr60 and sr80 long wall chambers, if that makes any sense.

You've said it perfectly about having all the water in one box. My sentiments exactly.

• Like 2

skimmers.....

First, I'm told the Tunze 9001 will fit in the Im Fusion 10 but I can't find much showing it...just in the Im Fusion 20's. So does anyone use a Tunze 9001 and if so, please share how to install it.

Also, I'm sure many use the Im Ghost Skimmer and I'm reading many mixed reviews....tons of microbubbles, poor skimmate, and very loud being the negative points I'm concerned about. Do you guys have these issues?

Any other skimmers that fit in our tanks you'd recommend over these?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

SURVEYMAN46123

So I'm going to be apart of this group soon. A little backstory....

A couple weeks ago my sister was in town and we were having dinner with my father. We were talking about my plan for a nano tank and my dad's ideas for a cabinet he is building for me. Well at one point in the evening I showed them both a photo of a NUVO 10 tank and mentioned how I'd love to have one in the future.

Well last night I find a large box on the front porch with my name on it and the return address being BRS. I ask my wife if she had purchased some items from them and she said "nope, call your sister though." As I don't normally get to see my sister for christmas as she lives in Southern California, she told me to face time her and open the package.

I quickly grab a knife and open it carefully. There it was a IM Nuvo Fusion 10! I was completely surprised and overwhelmed to be honest. So this morning I open it up to inspect the glass and such and the side of the box says "kit". Well as I opened I see that she had actually purchased the kit for me. Knowing that the SKKYE light isnt the best option I was still happy to see that I had a light. I sent her a text this afternoon asking why she purchased the kit, and she said that she didn't, she just bought the tank from BRS from their early black friday sale. So I'm guessing there was a mix up back in shipping.

Anyway, I'm going to run the light for a while, then possibly purchase a AI Prime HD in the future. Now I'm not sure if I should grab the media reactor or the skimmer down the road. I'm looking to keep softies, zoas, and a couple LPS. Mainly Hammers and Acans. Now will the SKKYE light support those or wait to throw those in after I grab the Prime?

Also I plan to run the stock pump, and maybe pick up a Jebao WP-10, RW-4 or the PP-4. What is the difference in these pumps? Would there be too much flow or are these okay for this cube?

Anyway I have a lot of research to do. Just wanted to share in my excitement over the past 24 hours.

• Like 1

Will a Tunze 9001 fit in the back chamber? Thinking about adding a skimmer but dont want a noisy ghost.

I've been researching it and the answer is no on the 9001 in a fusion 10g...unless you were to modify the skimmer or inside wall.

The inside dimensions of the middle chamber in the 10g is 2 5/8 x 3 3/4...so besides a couple air stone skimmers it looks like the ghost is the only one that actually fits...well played Im, well played!

I've been researching it and the answer is no on the 9001 in a fusion 10g...unless you were to modify the skimmer or inside wall.

The inside dimensions of the middle chamber in the 10g is 2 5/8 x 3 3/4...so besides a couple air stone skimmers it looks like the ghost is the only one that actually fits...well played Im, well played!

Teeny is using the eshopps nano skimmer

Will a Tunze 9001 fit in the back chamber? Thinking about adding a skimmer but dont want a noisy ghost.

I didn't buy the ghost because of the noise - it's simply too loud for my tank location. One option is to go with air stone skimmers. The Mame skimmer has been working really well for my tank.

30872756205_dc78e5f62e_h.jpg

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

I didn't buy the ghost because of the noise - it's simply too loud for my tank location. One option is to go with air stone skimmers. The Mame skimmer has been working really well for my tank.

I concur with the MAME skimmer, used it on my old 20G and it's currently on my 10G, I love it!

Thanks guys. Ill look into the MAME. Ive looked into it before but will take another look. I guess it pretty quiet since its an airstone skimmer? You just keep a supply of stones onhand to change them out every month or so like recommended?

Teeny is using the eshopps nano skimmer

Don't see how it would fit... unless the pump is over the wall?

"The new Eshopps Nano skimmer has a compact footprint measuring 2.25" x 4.5" (11.5" tall)."

"The new Eshopps Nano skimmer has a compact footprint measuring 2.25" x 4.5" (11.5" tall)."

It fits! No mods needed. I don't think the dimensions reported on the website are accurate. I highly recommend it.
  • Like 1

How far does it stick out in the back? Can you post a picture of it in the middle chamber?

• Like 1

It fits! No mods needed. I don't think the dimensions reported on the website are accurate. I highly recommend it.

Glad you like it. Mine's pretty broken in now and I've had to raise it up where the whole collection cup is showing above the tank. Doesn't bother me too much as it skims like a champ.

• Like 1

How far does it stick out in the back? Can you post a picture of it in the middle chamber?

The only thing that sticks out the back is the magnet on the dry side.

Here's a picture I posted in my 10g thread. You can see the pump to the left side of the skimmer. I took this picture before adjusting the depth, as the pump needs to be submerged.

31023219352_e870b23d6d_b.jpg20161120_200843.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Glad you like it. Mine's pretty broken in now and I've had to raise it up where the whole collection cup is showing above the tank. Doesn't bother me too much as it skims like a champ.

Yep, for the first time ever in a nano sized tank, I'm getting truly dark, smelly skimmate :)

The desktop ghost has to be adjusted so it sticks up about the same amount, but since the cup for the Eshopps is a little smaller it actually is less noticeable to me.

• Like 2

The only thing that sticks out the back is the magnet on the dry side.

Here's a picture I posted in my 10g thread. You can see the pump to the left side of the skimmer. I took this picture before adjusting the depth, as the pump needs to be submerged.

31023219352_e870b23d6d_b.jpg20161120_200843.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yep, for the first time ever in a nano sized tank, I'm getting truly dark, smelly skimmate :)

The desktop ghost has to be adjusted so it sticks up about the same amount, but since the cup for the Eshopps is a little smaller it actually is less noticeable to me.

Dude, i like the artwork pinned in the background!

• Like 3