Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Cencalfishguy56

Depends on your bioload. It really can make a big difference over just water changes. But I agree that it's super easy to do frequent and large water changes in this tank :)

Let us know how it goes! I'm cheering you on! :D

well I want a BTA and a skimmer only helps in favor of clean water lol but thanks teeny! It should be interesting? Idk why they even added that false wall!
  • Like 2

I have the eshopps nano skimmer in my fusion 20. I believe the 2nd chamber size for the 20 and 10 are the same. The fit is perfect. I've had it for a little over a week now and it's producing pretty nice foam. It took about a week to break in and is pretty quiet.

• Like 2

I have the eshopps nano skimmer in my fusion 20. I believe the 2nd chamber size for the 20 and 10 are the same. The fit is perfect. I've had it for a little over a week now and it's producing pretty nice foam. It took about a week to break in and is pretty quiet.

Wow, that's great news to hear that skimmer fits! You're correct, the second chamber is 4" x 2.97" in both the IM10 and IM20. But the listed dimensions of the Eshopps Nano are 4 1/2" x 2 1/4". Did you have to make any modifications to get the 4 1/2" part to fit in the 4" chamber width?

• Like 1

Wow, that's great news to hear that skimmer fits! You're correct, the second chamber is 4" x 2.97" in both the IM10 and IM20. But the listed dimensions of the Eshopps Nano are 4 1/2" x 2 1/4". Did you have to make any modifications to get the 4 1/2" part to fit in the 4" chamber width?

No modifications at all. I believe they came out with a new batch of the skimmer that comes with a stronger magnet.

I have the one from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybb1sTzeHXw

I got mine from lambertvetsupply if anyone is interested. Cheapest one i can find online. http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Nano-Skimmer-10-35G-Tank_p_12250.html

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing! This is the first non-air skimmer anyone has reported to work other than the ghost. And that's a great price, too. Now I wish I hadn't spent all my money on new corals a couple weeks ago!

Well, not really. Corals are better than skimmers :)

But this is going on my wishlist!

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

maybe I won't have to break that baffle after all ;)
  • Like 1
OzHobbyReefer

Thanks for sharing! This is the first non-air skimmer anyone has reported to work other than the ghost. And that's a great price, too. Now I wish I hadn't spent all my money on new corals a couple weeks ago!

Well, not really. Corals are better than skimmers :)

But this is going on my wishlist!

I have been using an Aqua One MiniSkim 80 in my Fusion 10 for a month now and it's working ok. Seems to give me a wet skim but I'm still figuring out the optimal adjustment. See a link below for the skimmer I'm talking about.

http://www.aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-04-47-04/filtration/protein-skimmers/item/3181-50033

I did pull the suction cups off though and just hang it from the edge of the rear of the tank to help it fit better, plus slide it on a bit of a diagonal angle.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Just came across this thread and thought I'd post my IM10. Thanks!

30205344602_7012ae671f_h.jpg

Very nice! I shoved 7 Acros yesterday into my fusion 10G. I see that you have some Acros in there. It's my first time trying it out. Are yours doing well? They look happy from here.

• Like 1

Very nice! I shoved 7 Acros yesterday into my fusion 10G. I see that you have some Acros in there. It's my first time trying it out. Are yours doing well? They look happy from here.

Hey thanks reefer,

yea the acros are all doing well. I find that they grow slower than other sps species such as montis and serias. My acros survived 3 tank transfers so that may have been a reason for slow growth, but they're all alive and growing.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Hey thanks reefer,

yea the acros are all doing well. I find that they grow slower than other sps species such as montis and serias. My acros survived 3 tank transfers so that may have been a reason for slow growth, but they're all alive and growing.

Great! I hope that I can say that soon too. Yeah, I think that montis grow much faster than Acros but I don't mind. As long as they don't die. The first time I tried an Acro, it was dead within two days because my alk was at 4dkh! Now I test frequently and keep my paramateres stable so that should help.

No modifications at all. I believe they came out with a new batch of the skimmer that comes with a stronger magnet.

I've used the eshopps nano skimmer off and on for a few years (in a bio cube and an IM20). My biggest complaint is the magnet. Good to know they improved the strength!

• Like 3
reefernanoman

Is a skimmer necessary? Probably not. I just enjoy spending money.

Probably not. I only have two fish and a shrimp in mine though. I do have a ton of corals. That desktop IM skimmer was loud, and I felt it didn't do much. I got rid of mine and depend on the 1G weekly water changes, dosing and light feeding.

burtbollinger

odd question, for those who have used the IM ghost skimmer and in the past may have seen/heard the old Aqua C Remoras...how loud is it compared to an Aqua C Remora?

I'm used to the loudness of the Aqua C, so Im thinking the sound of the IM ghost wont bother me?

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

6 line wrasse an OK compliment to a hifin Goby / shrimp pair?

Feel like they could use a tankmate and to give the tank a little more liveliness

Obsessed Reefer

6 line wrasse an OK compliment to a hifin Goby / shrimp pair?

Feel like they could use a tankmate and to give the tank a little more liveliness

I'd be concerned with how aggressive a 6 line can get. I've kept a 4 line with gobies before and didn't have any issues though.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well the ones at the LFS were tiny. Yesterday i got one as well as a fire fish, added both to the larger tank with the big clown.... the six line is now the smallest in the tank, and for good measure he went in last lol....

Having said that, perhaps since i already own one, why get a second??? shop something safer, different...?

• Like 1

I've joined the club. Started a new thread over in the member's tank section. Has anyone changed out their lid? You can really see the cross-hatching of the mesh from the lights.

• Like 4
Obsessed Reefer

Well the ones at the LFS were tiny. Yesterday i got one as well as a fire fish, added both to the larger tank with the big clown.... the six line is now the smallest in the tank, and for good measure he went in last lol....

Having said that, perhaps since i already own one, why get a second??? shop something safer, different...?

​Maybe a fire fish? Or a Swissguard Basslet?

Obsessed Reefer

I've joined the club. Started a new thread over in the member's tank section. Has anyone changed out their lid? You can really see the cross-hatching of the mesh from the lights.

You should add a link to the thread to your signature so it's easy for people to get to when they see a post from you.

I've seen a lot of people get a custom lid from Artfully Acrylic, but at $99 with a 6 week lead time, it's a bit steep for me. You can make your own mesh top either from materials found at home depot, or BulkReefSupply sells a kit.

I'd go for afirefish ... Only $8 at the LFS. But I just put one in the main tank... So u think it's OK to have more than one in the house?

I completely read over that part of your post, haha. Was it a regular fire fish? Maybe get a Helfrichi Firefish for the 10g, a bit pricier, but in my opinion a lot better looking.

You should add a link to the thread to your signature so it's easy for people to get to when they see a post from you.

I've seen a lot of people get a custom lid from Artfully Acrylic, but at $99 with a 6 week lead time, it's a bit steep for me. You can make your own mesh top either from materials found at home depot, or BulkReefSupply sells a kit.

Good idea about the link. I'll do it now. Yeah, $100 for a top is ridiculous considering the entire tank cost less than that.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Ya, not worth the $80 for me. I need to sleep on it. In being impulsive.

And nothing good in this hobby has ever come from being impulsive lol

• Like 2