Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

New skimmer option for the IM 10 owners.

Just saw the eheim skim marine 100, it's a small airstone skimmer that would fit nicely in the second chamber of the fusion 10.

Sadly the only video i could find is in german...

• Like 1

Has anyone had a problem with "leaks" caused by the plastic clips holding the cover? I've tried removing the spinstream, lowering the water level to 3/4" below the top of the tank, but I still have a pool of water by the tank when I wake up in the morning. Has anyone else had this problem? I'd just remove the lid and clips, but I have a tailspot blenny that I'd hate to lose!

I did a search for this but didn't find the answer, so sorry in advance if this has been brought up before.

What I have seen done is to shorten the bottoms of clips so that they don't contact the water at all. They can still build up some condensation, but that shouldn't cause any puddles.
  • Like 1

New skimmer option for the IM 10 owners.

Just saw the eheim skim marine 100, it's a small airstone skimmer that would fit nicely in the second chamber of the fusion 10.

Sadly the only video i could find is in german...

This doesn't look bad at all. I wonder how high it sits. Someone buy this so that I can see pics in an IM 10. ;)

• Like 3
OzHobbyReefer

Thanks for the video. Nice looking setup. What skimmer are you using?

Its an Aqua One MiniSkim 80. I think it has different names around the world, depends on who the distributor is.

• Like 1

Well looks like my 4th aquarium was just ordered lol. Upgrading from a Fluval Evo V to Fusion 10. I already have all the upgraded parts lol. Aqueon600, mp10qwd, nanobox mini tide plus m, don't need a heater as it stay 78 with room tempeture, Smart micro ATO. JBJ nano glow all just going to transfer over to the new tank. Only thing i need to get for it will be the Intank Media/Fuge baskets and i'll be set. Transfering all live rock, fish, shrimp, corals, and frags. This should be Fun as it gets to my LFS friday! $99 for a nice tank, couldn't pass it up :)

• Like 2
n0rcal2wheeler

Wondering if a sicce 0.5 or 1.0 for a return in conjunction with a slipstream is best for nuvo 10 fusion? Want no powerhead in display, please advise

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

I've heard the spin streams are mostly useless... most people add powerheads, i went return only.

my previous experience with such return nozzles is that they clog with algae and require heavy cleaning often...

• Like 2
burtbollinger

My wife just ordered me an IM 10 for gift...very excited to get back into this hobby, and share a very basic small tank with my little kids....will be documenting. Looking to keep this a near stock build. Using the stock light, an In-Tank basket...no skimmer. Planning on one percula , very simple soft corals, might even go with mostly xenia.

will run a Reefkeeper lite to monitor the heater, but thats it as far as automation.

I do have an older Tunze Ossimolator...I wonder, will that work in here, or do I need to invest in a newer, nano model?

Is TWO perculas overkill or irresponsible? those would be the only fish.

She ordered with the Skkye 18w. Should I cancel this or is this light adequate for xenia and GSP? It's sounding like I should go with the AI Prime instead.

Finally, any advice on how much more difficult and intense a healthy 10g with beginner softies is to maintain vs a 30g with LPS? I'm hoping i'm not getting into something too difficult.

This was my old tank I had up for @ 3 years..a Finnex 30.

from left side

• Like 2

My wife just ordered me an IM 10 for gift...very excited to get back into this hobby, and share a very basic small tank with my little kids....will be documenting. Looking to keep this a near stock build. Using the stock light, an In-Tank basket...no skimmer. Planning on one percula , very simple soft corals, might even go with mostly xenia.

will run a Reefkeeper lite to monitor the heater, but thats it as far as automation.

I do have an older Tunze Ossimolator...I wonder, will that work in here, or do I need to invest in a newer, nano model?

She ordered with the Skkye 18w. Should I cancel this or is this light adequate for xenia and GSP? It's sounding like I should go with the AI Prime instead.

Finally, any advice on how much more difficult and intense a healthy 10g with beginner softies is to maintain vs a 30g with LPS? I'm hoping i'm not getting into something too difficult.

Cancel the light that comes with the tank. believe the only way to turn it off is by adding a timer. better to go with the AI over the prime.

I just picked up mine last week and love the IM10. Great tanks i wish i knew about from the start instead of my EVO5 i just upgraded from. Id say aslong as you keep water parameters stable and dont let the Salinity fluctuate all the time things should be smooth. Smart Micro ATO is a great one to use if you feel you want something tiny and new.

Though i do have a question for everyone else. I upgraded my pump straight off the bat as i didn't want to put my MP10 in the tank. So im running a Rio800(211gph) with a spin stream. Flow is great without the need of a second pump. Question is though how do you reduce the bubbles going into the third chamber? Flow is so fast it creates bubbles when flowing over the last baffle, only way i've come to solve this is by letting the water height be a little less then 1" to prevent some of the little bubbles created from going all the way down into my pump. Just curious as to what others might have done, Im honestly ok with it as i keep my 75 Neo Therm heater back there with it, which is an amazing little heater right on the money with temp haha.

• Like 1

I think that's all you really can do about the bubbles if they are being caused by the water falling into the third chamber. As far as I know, as long as the water in the third chamber is at least a little bit lower than the second, you'll be fine. It doesn't have to be a full inch below.

Congratulations!

I ran the full size tunze osmolator in this tank for quite a while. It worked fine once I put the overflow sensor on the separate magnet so it could be placed higher in the tank. The only problem I had was fitting it all into the third chamber, but it can be done :).

Two perculas should be no problem, although they may outgrow the tank after a couple years. However, for two, you may have to run a skimmer to keep nutrients under control I had two in my IM10 for about two years and they were very happy - they even spawned a couple times. I eventually moved them into my 40g tank, but only because they kept trying to host in my zoas and were killing them.

The light is pretty much worthless, don't order it if you have choice, even for easy LPS and GSP.

You should have no problems with xenia and gsp in this tank. You probably won't need to dose 2 part if you do regular water changes. I think the biggest challenge you may have compared with your old 30g tank is that stability is much harder in a 10g tank. Every little change can make a big difference overnight. So you need to stay on top of checking parameters, although it shouldn't matter as much with hardy corals.

Good luck! Post a link to your build thread :D

I've heard the spin streams are mostly useless... most people add powerheads, i went return only.

my previous experience with such return nozzles is that they clog with algae and require heavy cleaning often...

My spinstream does fine, it only gets a little algae on the outside that I clean about once a month. But it all depends on the conditions in the tank There's no doubt that it has a lot of little gears in a small space so it can get easily clogged if there's stuff in the tank to clog it up to begin with.

Wondering if a sicce 0.5 or 1.0 for a return in conjunction with a slipstream is best for nuvo 10 fusion? Want no powerhead in display, please advise

It would probably work fine. Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Skimmer options for this little ass tank? Lol hate the desktop skimmer but is there any success stories out there? Pico skim and mame look like they currently aren't an option

• Like 1

Skimmer options for this little ass tank? Lol hate the desktop skimmer but is there any success stories out there? Pico skim and mame look like they currently aren't an option

Hi Cena,

the mame skimmer is sold here by Saltwater conversion. I love mine because it's much less noisy than the ghost desktop. The skim is a little more watery than normal skimmers, but I have an ATO on my tank.

https://saltwater-conversion.com/products/mame-skimmer

• Like 1

The IM desktop skimmer is pretty much the only non-air skimmer that will fit, unfortunately. I don't like it much but through a lot of trial and error I've figure out how to get mine working pretty well.

I can't really complain about the skimmate, it's pretty good. But microbubbles can be a sporadic problem at settings less the fully open. And fully open can be loud, although sometimes it's more quiet than other times.

I have learned that sometimes when there are microbubbles, if I shake the skimmer up and down, or pull it out enough to wiggle the pump a little bit, it sometimes gets rid of them. No idea why...

I have a picoskim on my 4g frag tank, and it works great, but all airstone skimmers give a pretty watery skimmate. I only know of one or two people who've tried to use the picoskim on this tank, and they reported they couldn't hand it low enough in the water for it to work.

Tuffyru has shown the Mame works great, though :)

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

The IM desktop skimmer is pretty much the only non-air skimmer that will fit, unfortunately. I don't like it much but through a lot of trial and error I've figure out how to get mine working pretty well.

I can't really complain about the skimmate, it's pretty good. But microbubbles can be a sporadic problem at settings less the fully open. And fully open can be loud, although sometimes it's more quiet than other times.

I have learned that sometimes when there are microbubbles, if I shake the skimmer up and down, or pull it out enough to wiggle the pump a little bit, it sometimes gets rid of them. No idea why...

I have a picoskim on my 4g frag tank, and it works great, but all airstone skimmers give a pretty watery skimmate. I only know of one or two people who've tried to use the picoskim on this tank, and they reported they couldn't hand it low enough in the water for it to work.

Tuffyru has shown the Mame works great, though :)

i want the mame but looks like they only have a stock for international users? When I choose US as my location it says all out
Obsessed Reefer

i want the mame but looks like they only have a stock for international users? When I choose US as my location it says all out

You can reach out to Neill, who runs Saltwater-Conversion. Check out the Vendor forum on here. He could probably give you an ETA on when US stock will come back in.

Nice sps heavy tank. Do you have a build thread?

Oh thanks Nola! Very much appreciate it

Yea i have a thread going for the IM10 here. This is my 3rd transfer tank and hopefully my last (for now). lol

Cheers!

Cencalfishguy56

You can reach out to Neill, who runs Saltwater-Conversion. Check out the Vendor forum on here. He could probably give you an ETA on when US stock will come back in.

i think I might just break the baffle right before the return to make room for the tunze 9001, I plan on a heavily stocked tank lol
  • Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Is a skimmer really necessary? Just do water changes. It's 10 gallons. Don't be ridiculous ?

Talking about breaking baffles and stuff lol

Cencalfishguy56

Is a skimmer really necessary? Just do water changes. It's 10 gallons. Don't be ridiculous ?

eff water changes Ima break that damn baffle and fit that bad boy in there ;)
  • Like 1

Is a skimmer really necessary? Just do water changes. It's 10 gallons. Don't be ridiculous

Is a skimmer necessary? Probably not. I just enjoy spending money.

• Like 2

Is a skimmer necessary? Probably not. I just enjoy spending money.

Depends on your bioload. It really can make a big difference over just water changes. But I agree that it's super easy to do frequent and large water changes in this tank :)

eff water changes Ima break that damn baffle and fit that bad boy in there ;)

Let us know how it goes! I'm cheering you on! :D