Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

New frozen/refrigerated feeding device!

I drop in a couple frozen cubes of mysis, a cube of rotifers, a cube of cyclops, a few ounces of Rotifeast and a bunch of tank water. Then squeeze it!

$4.12 on Amazon, with free shipping!

20150616_131433_zps6f57f1fe.jpg

• Like 4

Following. Beautiful tank. I hope mine turns out half as nice.

Thanks... looking forward to seeing what you put together in that 70 of yours!

Love your new feeding device!! How long does something ole that last in the fridge?

I'm not really sure how long frozen stuff is supposed to be kept unfrozen. I keep the fridge very cold (my sodas cans always have a few chunks of ice in them). So far I haven't poisoned anything!

• Like 1

I keep my stuff in the friidge for a couple of days. Mix cyclopeeze and PE mysid and give a couple of small feedings a day. 1 cube each lasted about a day and a half.

• Like 2

The much suffering clam is still hanging in there. It has good days and some not-so-good days, but today it's looking pretty good.

I've done a couple of fresh water dips, I've scrubbed off the little tube worms that were growing on it's shell, I've moved it to a portion of the tank where nothing touches it, and the water movement is pretty slow.

The mantle is still a little frilly around the edges, and narrower at one side than the other. I wish I knew what was bugging it...

20150618_103742_zps393ff0f1.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not really sure how long frozen stuff is supposed to be kept unfrozen. I keep the fridge very cold (my sodas cans always have a few chunks of ice in them). So far I haven't poisoned anything!

I do something similar. I recently wanted my wife to start doing a daytime feeding of frozen, but didn't want her to have to deal with defrosting and what not. I defrost a big chunk of reef frenzy about every 4 or 5 days. I mix it with RODI and a little reef chili, then pull it into syringes. 1 syringe for each feeding. Easy enough, she just squirts it in.

Hmm looks like something was nipping at the clam and tearing the mantle. Any Dwarf angels in there?

Nah... none of the fish pick at it.

So it seemed like today's boards were very chemistry heavy, so in light of that, I did some chemistry.

Fair warning, I used the cheapo API kit for the first 4 tests, and I understand my results aren't going to be super accurate, but they should be good enough for government work:

Calcium (API kit): 420 mg/L

Alk (API kit): 7 dKH

Phosphate (API kit): Immeasurable

Nitrate (API kit): Immeasurable

Magnesium (Salifert kit): 1470 ppm

I've been dosing 10 mL of B-Ionic Ca & Alk daily, as well as 5 mL Magnesium. I think Mg is fine.

Based on this, it looks like I need to increase my Ca and Alk a bit, so I upped the dosage to 12 mL of each per day.

At 10 mL per day, nothing in my tank was dying, but SPS growth is slow, and colors dull. I don't know if an extra 2 mL per day will even register, but I'll test again in a few days and see what's up.

• Like 1
bobssecrtsn

Very nice tank thread, I do almost have the same tank as yours ( 42G versa Series ) and i have about maybe 15 frags of sps, and im dosing 50ml of CA/MG daily and 5ml of MG every other day. ( my sps are encrusting very fast ) I dont know exactly how much sps you have or your growth rate is but you should dose you should do increase your dosage to 15ml, or 20ml. ( and ALWAYS ALWAYS! when using b bionic 2part dose both at the same ML ) as far as colours go, when you get your parameters stable you'll see increase in growth and color will come later. ( i still have dull colours and im messing with my gen3 radions) i will try to post my schedule for my radions

heres how my radions are set up

Untitled_zpsp8kb6xw0.jpg

the max red/white/UV/and green does not go over maybe 40% when its at its peak.

Very nice tank thread, I do almost have the same tank as yours ( 42G versa Series ) and i have about maybe 15 frags of sps, and im dosing 50ml of CA/MG daily and 5ml of MG every other day. ( my sps are encrusting very fast ) I dont know exactly how much sps you have or your growth rate is but you should dose you should do increase your dosage to 15ml, or 20ml. ( and ALWAYS ALWAYS! when using b bionic 2part dose both at the same ML ) as far as colours go, when you get your parameters stable you'll see increase in growth and color will come later. ( i still have dull colours and im messing with my gen3 radions) i will try to post my schedule for my radions

heres how my radions are set up

Untitled_zpsp8kb6xw0.jpg

the max red/white/UV/and green does not go over maybe 40% when its at its peak.

Thanks for the input. Wow,that's a lot of ca/alk you dose! I'm certainly open to it, but considering what I've been dosing, and the low levels, I'm going to increase slowly. Nothing is dying, and the last thing I want to do is change the parameters too quickly. So I'll leave the dose at 12 mL per day for another week or so, and boost it by another couple mL each week until I get where I need to be.

Hopefully you're correct, and I'll start to see better growth and coloration once my chemistry gets to where it needs to be.

Sounds like a lot of work! ;)

In other news, I'm thinking about buying some stuff from Alex. Can you vouch for his goods?

:unsure::huh::blink: his goods?

o! You mean his frags. :lol:

Yes yes Alex is da guy!

I am planning on buying from him as well.

I found two of these guys on the Magician palys (now living in my fuge). I don't know if it's the same thing as what I saw on them before. They were not directly on top of the "hole", but rather on the sides of the closed up paly, and they pulled off rather easily, unlike the last time.

I took a photo with my real camera, and after a quick zoom, it's clearly a snail. It's only about 0.5 mm (the size of the super small pellets). I'm only familiar with one snail that will eat zoanthids, and that's a sundial snail. This doesn't look like a sundial. It looks more like little collonista snail.

I'm guessing this is correlation, not causation?

Snail_zpswe2sb72c.jpg

look like sundial snails. kill em with fire.

The much suffering clam is still hanging in there. It has good days and some not-so-good days, but today it's looking pretty good.

I've done a couple of fresh water dips, I've scrubbed off the little tube worms that were growing on it's shell, I've moved it to a portion of the tank where nothing touches it, and the water movement is pretty slow.

The mantle is still a little frilly around the edges, and narrower at one side than the other. I wish I knew what was bugging it...

20150618_103742_zps393ff0f1.jpg

She looks good, don't touch her anymore, she's really starting to de-stress from the looks of it.

• Like 1

So what do you do on the weekends? Do you go into reef withdrawal since this is in your office?

Haha... I go into the office on the weekends.

• Like 1

:unsure::huh::blink: his goods?

o! You mean his frags. :lol:

Yes yes Alex is da guy! I am planning on buying from him as well.

look like sundial snails. kill em with fire.

She looks good, don't touch her anymore, she's really starting to de-stress from the looks of it.

Thanks Kat. I bought a few things. Pretty excited!

Alex B I think. He's in South Florida and has amazing frags

Correct

• Like 1

Pink Mille is starting to really look nice. It's got way more PE today than I've really ever seen it have. Tough to capture the true color, but this is pretty close.

5c65106e-1536-46f1-88f9-2d58e66a67a7_zps

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Envious- thats gorgeous!

Any change you have some frags of that Zoa? (Orange skirt?)

Ill trade you for some Montipora caps (Green, purple)

Edit:

Oh you're in Cali :(

Envious- thats gorgeous!

Any change you have some frags of that Zoa? (Orange skirt?)

Ill trade you for some Montipora caps (Green, purple)

Edit:

Oh you're in Cali :(

Harry, there are three different Orange skirted zoos in that shot. The ones with the green centers are Goblin's Fire, and I might be able to get a few polyps if those are the ones you like. The ones with the blue and white centers, on the top are just a plain Fire & Ice. They're pretty common. I have a few polyps of that growing out on plugs. I was just planning on dropping them into my fuge, but wouldn't mind sending them to you. The ones on the bottom, with the teal and cream colored centers (next to the Blue Hornets) are a little different. I don't know what they're called, but I can probably find a polyp or two that can be cut off.

The problem with my Z's and P's is that they're not really in there for propagation. They're just growing wild on the live rock, which is where they're happiest, but very tough to cut off.

HarryPotter

Harry, there are three different Orange skirted zoos in that shot. The ones with the green centers are Goblin's Fire, and I might be able to get a few polyps if those are the ones you like. The ones with the blue and white centers, on the top are just a plain Fire & Ice. They're pretty common. I have a few polyps of that growing out on plugs. I was just planning on dropping them into my fuge, but wouldn't mind sending them to you. The ones on the bottom, with the teal and cream colored centers (next to the Blue Hornets) are a little different. I don't know what they're called, but I can probably find a polyp or two that can be cut off.

The problem with my Z's and P's is that they're not really in there for propagation. They're just growing wild on the live rock, which is where they're happiest, but very tough to cut off.

Can Zoas take two day shipping or do they need overnight? That would be awesome- I love the Goblins fire and Fire and Ice!

Lol I can't believe you have so many that they're going to be put in the sump- thats crazy! *Drools*