Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Pink Mille is starting to really look nice. It's got way more PE today than I've really ever seen it have. Tough to capture the true color, but this is pretty close.

5c65106e-1536-46f1-88f9-2d58e66a67a7_zps

Beautiful, Chris!

Can Zoas take two day shipping or do they need overnight? That would be awesome- I love the Goblins fire and Fire and Ice!

Lol I can't believe you have so many that they're going to be put in the sump- thats crazy! *Drools*

Assuming they're packed alright, and the temp is okay, they should be fine for up to three days in a bag. They're pretty tough little critters.

I'll see if I can find some Goblin's Fire that can be cut off. The Fire and Ice plug has one big adult and 4 juvi's. In two weeks, those juvi's will be full grown. In my tank, these things grow like weeds. The colony has grown right over other colonies too, which is frustrating at first, but after a month or two, some of the zoos that got smothered are able to poke through. Pretty cool to see.

Beautiful, Chris!

Thank you ma'am! Very kind of you to say!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Assuming they're packed alright, and the temp is okay, they should be fine for up to three days in a bag. They're pretty tough little critters.

I'll see if I can find some Goblin's Fire that can be cut off. The Fire and Ice plug has one big adult and 4 juvi's. In two weeks, those juvi's will be full grown. In my tank, these things grow like weeds. The colony has grown right over other colonies too, which is frustrating at first, but after a month or two, some of the zoos that got smothered are able to poke through. Pretty cool to see.

Thank you ma'am! Very kind of you to say!

That would be awesome- I would love a few! Just PM me the cost and your PP :)

Actually, I mistakenly left a frag of "don't know the name, who cares" zoas in a bag tied up for the LFS. I had traded in a bunch of stuff and left these behind by mistake in a cooler. For a week. When I found them, I couldn't believe it, but they were still alive - in a bag for a week with no light.

• Like 3

Actually, I mistakenly left a frag of "don't know the name, who cares" zoas in a bag tied up for the LFS. I had traded in a bunch of stuff and left these behind by mistake in a cooler. For a week. When I found them, I couldn't believe it, but they were still alive - in a bag for a week with no light.

Yeah. They can be really resiliant. In the wild, low tide can leave zoanthids out of the water for hours at a time. In my tank, one of my BTAs settled right on top of some random polyps, and was there for months. The nem would move around a few inches a day, but always in the same general area. The zoos would open whenever they had a minute of daylight, and then would close up when the nem moved on top of them again. When I finally relocated the BTA, the polyps underneath were still alive and opened right up.

Then again, I've had $150 polyps glued on frag plugs and placed in the perfect spot, with perfect light and flow, and they've melted in 3 days.

Go figure...

• Like 2

I've had NO luck with named zoas. I had some hawaiians that melted away for no apparent reason and I have some blue hornets that aren't looking so good. Pink and golds, well, they're my nemesis. They grow really freaking fast.

Top down, cams up!

Check out the growth on the Cali Tort!

a690af73-9b1b-48d7-8319-eb70ed2e3ebc_zps

The Fire and Ice colony is a beast, it's just taking over, but you can see how the stuff it smothers tends to fight back over time. The Valentine's Day Massacre polyps are poking through randomly.

You can also see the pink mille on the left, red dragon on the bottom, some random stag on the right, and a tiny peek-a-boo shot of Pearlberry in the upper left-hand corner.

76bbd30c-8bc3-4b17-bfdd-b1b96ee6c295_zps

• Like 6

I haven't seen any "went to the LFS ...." posts lately!

Trying to be good. But I do need water... was planning on getting some at lunch today...

• Like 3

Moved the green bird's nest up to the top of the tank. It's almost sticking out of the water, but I think it gives better balance and dimension to the tank.

667a6a2e-8c74-4942-9fe5-ccf6b3b6e1f5_zps

Looks so pretty! Any upward turn on the monticaps yet? :)
  • Like 2

Looks so pretty! Any upward turn on the monticaps yet? :)

Thanks Gena. How's everything going?

Who knows what your crazy Idaho Grape is doing?! I moved it's rock from the front, to the side, where it can grow as much as it wants without being a nuisance. When I moved the rock, I didn't push it down quite as hard, so you can see where it previously rested on the sand. It's certainly happy, so I don't complain! ;)

2e3b88b0-8ca0-4b22-a675-58f9d48a2d18_zps

• Like 4

I'm thinking about upgrading my protein skimmer. Anyone have any suggestions?

I found a Reef Octopus SRO 1000 Int on Craigslist for what seems to be a very reasonable price.

I'm currently using this guy.

PLS100_4_LRG.jpg

• Like 1

I went to the fish store today to buy some RO/DI, and came home with this:

I'm really excited, I had a similar clam a long time ago that didn't make it. This one has similar coloration, but it far prettier. Shop owner didn't want to sell it, but was finally convinced!

78231faf-5060-4227-a28c-43e56904a9d3_zps

• Like 3

I went to the fish store today to buy some RO/DI, and came home with this:

I'm really excited, I had a similar clam a long time ago that didn't make it. This one has similar coloration, but it far prettier. Shop owner didn't want to sell it, but was finally convinced!

78231faf-5060-4227-a28c-43e56904a9d3_zps

Best going to the fish store for rodi purchase yet!!! Gorgeous!!! I went to RAP and got...... Duh duhhhhh duhhhhh..... Nothing!

Best going to the fish store for rodi purchase yet!!! Gorgeous!!! I went to RAP and got...... Duh duhhhhh duhhhhh..... Nothing!

Nothing?! How responsible of you. Boooooo! ;)

what is wrong with the skimmer? I am using the same one and had some trouble tuning it in but I now think I got it. Nice dark sludge.

I had to rase is up 1.5 inches using tile and egg crate.

chironerd21

What your price range for the new skimmer?

I m using the bubble magnus curve 5. I upgrade from the same skimmer as yours. It produced nice skimmate, but too finicky and hard to adjust.

The bubble magnus curve 5 is easy to adjust and produce smelly stuff.

Also look into the reef octupus space saver series 110 and the aquamaxx co1. All around the same price range $200-300. But if you want the cheapest, BM curve 5. I went cheaper because i wanted to spend more $ on other equipment. Didnt regret it, fairly silent (more so than the cadlights one) and produced nasty stuff. I was contemplating between curve 5 or the aquamaxx. The Reef Octopus had so-so reviews.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people like the SWC 120. Ark went with this once from his AquaMaxx (he thought it was to much skimmer for the tank).

what is wrong with the skimmer? I am using the same one and had some trouble tuning it in but I now think I got it. Nice dark sludge.

I had to rase is up 1.5 inches using tile and egg crate.

It works okay, but like you said, tough to dial in.

What your price range for the new skimmer?

I m using the bubble magnus curve 5. I upgrade from the same skimmer as yours. It produced nice skimmate, but too finicky and hard to adjust.

The bubble magnus curve 5 is easy to adjust and produce smelly stuff.

Also look into the reef octupus space saver series 110 and the aquamaxx co1. All around the same price range $200-300. But if you want the cheapest, BM curve 5. I went cheaper because i wanted to spend more $ on other equipment. Didnt regret it, fairly silent (more so than the cadlights one) and produced nasty stuff. I was contemplating between curve 5 or the aquamaxx. The Reef Octopus had so-so reviews.

I definitely don't want to break the bank. The skimmer I'm running now is doing an okay job, so I'll probably be looking in that $200-300 range. I'm really just looking to keep an eye on the forums and find a nice deal.

I think a lot of people like the SWC 120. Ark went with this once from his AquaMaxx (he thought it was to much skimmer for the tank).

Interesting. Lot's of different products, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus winner.

Thanks Gena. How's everything going?

Who knows what your crazy Idaho Grape is doing?! I moved it's rock from the front, to the side, where it can grow as much as it wants without being a nuisance. When I moved the rock, I didn't push it down quite as hard, so you can see where it previously rested on the sand. It's certainly happy, so I don't complain! ;)

2e3b88b0-8ca0-4b22-a675-58f9d48a2d18_zps

It may be crazy but it looks awesome :). Things are going good. This weather is ridiculous though and I usually love the heat :).

It may be crazy but it looks awesome :). Things are going good. This weather is ridiculous though and I usually love the heat :).

Ugh, I know. I'm not ready for summer heat. When is this El Niño supposed to arrive?

• Like 2

Ugh, I know. I'm not ready for summer heat. When is this El Niño supposed to arrive?

I don't know. I've lived here 12 years and I keep hearing about this El Nino, that this is the year, but I don't think I've experienced it yet LOL.

Had to grab a new rock, because I'm running out of space. I think my new little Maxima likes it's spot, next to the other clam. I really like this clam, and hope that it does well!

Also in the shot you can see some Gold Mauls being grown out, and my acccidental blue maxi-mini nem. A little bit of flesh tore off when I peeled his dad off the rock, and this is what's grown back.

bffd84f1-5c51-4272-883e-6a5394a52450_zps

• Like 3