SaltCritters.com

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

That's awesome! And you know I love these posts.

I know you do... I threw that one out there for you. ;)

the color on that orange plate is crazy! did u figure out what happened to those magician zoas??

I never figured it out. I took the piece of tonga branch that they're on and moved it into my fuge. I know that doesn't count as a QT or anything, but it makes me feel better. They're still closed up tight, but don't seem to be melting at all. No other signs of problems on any other colonies.

Envious of your Monti!

Thanks... hopefully I can keep it alive!

• Like 1

I went to the LFS for some water today, and walked out with this Phoenix Montipora:

3ef9d4f6-adf8-4349-9145-f740ff555e07_zps

omgomgomg, that thing likes low light. i can't wait to see it grow for you.

I called her a pig the other day, and it hurt her feelings. She eats great.

In that case I would watch her, if she doesn't put on weight I would treat with prazipro. And they jump so lid at all times.

omgomgomg, that thing likes low light. i can't wait to see it grow for you.

Low light? The LFS had his colony right under a 400w halide. Though maybe the darker colors come out a little more under less intense light?

In that case I would watch her, if she doesn't put on weight I would treat with prazipro. And they jump so lid at all times.

She seems pretty healthy to me. She may be a bit skinny, but she doesn't really perch like other Midas Blennies I've seen. She is a super active swimmer. There's plenty of hiding places she can use (and does from time to time), but 90% of the time, she's just cruisin' around. Some chicks are just the marathon-runner type! :P

Hey Kat, my clam is still about the same. Always open, very responsive to light and motion, but still has that "pinched" look on one side. Looks totally normal on one end, and pinched on the other. From what I've read, pinched mantle is a killer, and any clam affected will be dead sooner rather than later. This has been going on for months. Do you think that perhaps it lost some mantle tissue do to disease, and it's just going to take some time to grow back? If not, it still has some affliction, but it doesn't seem to get better or worse.

Speaking of funky clams. My LFS has a pretty cool specimen on site. It's one of the very rare "Psychedelic Devil Clams" (Tridacna mbalvuana). Alledgedly there's only about 6 of these in the country, and he got 3 of them. This one is about 30" long.

The only one I've seen online was being marketed at $2,500, but I think it went on sale. This guy was not for sale.

92124da2-d367-4f2e-a061-120e775905c7_zps

• Like 5

I know you do... I threw that one out there for you. ;)

I never figured it out. I took the piece of tonga branch that they're on and moved it into my fuge. I know that doesn't count as a QT or anything, but it makes me feel better. They're still closed up tight, but don't seem to be melting at all. No other signs of problems on any other colonies.

Thanks... hopefully I can keep it alive!

It made my day! That's either really funny - or really sad depending on how you look at it.

I love that monti! If it ever gets so big you need to frag it, keep me in mind!! I would even trade a painting for a frag! Or $$ - whichever you'd rather

It made my day! That's either really funny - or really sad depending on how you look at it.

I love that monti! If it ever gets so big you need to frag it, keep me in mind!! I would even trade a painting for a frag! Or $$ - whichever you'd rather

I appreciate the confidence, but let's see how it goes first! ;)

• Like 1

I followed the trail of bread crumbs to your blog site. You're very talented. I love the sunrise painting. Beautiful.

Thank you!! I haven't painted much this year but am slowly getting through the creative block I hit in January. Between my "day job", all the art shows last year, trying to paint daily, and all the social media stuff, I'm pretty sure I burned out. I've been starting some reef paintings lately and I'm really enjoying it. Something totally different and getting the colors to where I want them is challenging but fun. Thanks again!

I used to like to write, but I got to the point where I was such a perfectionist, I couldn't get anywhere. I'd agonize over the same paragraph over and over again. Now I just don't seem to have the time!

That's a crazy clam.

I still think your clam is just stressed, and shows the pinched syndrome. That's what mine did. It was horribly pinched, did 2 dips, but eventually just relaxed in the sump where I had low flow.

The Phoenix shows the proper peach under moderate to low light. Every tank is different, I'm sure you will find the sweet spot.

• Like 1

I still think your clam is just stressed, and shows the pinched syndrome. That's what mine did. It was horribly pinched, did 2 dips, but eventually just relaxed in the sump where I had low flow.

The Phoenix shows the proper peach under moderate to low light. Every tank is different, I'm sure you will find the sweet spot.

I have to assume you're right about the clam. It's strange, it's all by itself now, in a part of the tank with pretty low flow (the mantle doesn't really move). I'd put it in the fuge, but there's less free space down there than in the display!

Thanks for the heads up on the monti. Right now it's in a lower light area that gets about medium flow. We'll see how it likes that spot.

Hindsight is 20/20. This is what happens when you put your tank in a spot where you don't have access to scrape the glass!!

IMG_0058_zps46a83e81.jpg

• Like 5

I like how you have so many different focal points in the tank!

Lol... YES!

I deliberately created the wall that's half covered in coralline algae, and half clean as a statement piece. It symbolizes the dichotomy of man. Our outward self is transparent and clean. It is presentable, correct and fits into society's standards. Then just behind that is a dark and unkempt half. It's wild and impossible to control. It is full of secrets, and it's mere existence flies in the face of social norms. We all have this "purple side" and it's always there... threatening to overtake our clean, glossy exterior. We scrub and we scrape, but it's never really gone. It grows in the cracks and in the shadows, it is a part of us... and to forget that, is to forget that which makes us human...

• Like 5

Lol... YES!

I deliberately created the wall that's half covered in coralline algae, and half clean as a statement piece. It symbolizes the dichotomy of man. Our outward self is transparent and clean. It is presentable, correct and fits into society's standards. Then just behind that is a dark and unkempt half. It's wild and impossible to control. It is fully of secrets, and it's mere existence flies in the face of social norms. We all have this "purple side" and it's always there... threatening to overtake our clean, glossy exterior. We scrub and we scrape, but it's never really gone. It grows in the cracks and in the shadows, it is a part of us... and to forget that, is to forget that which makes us human...

Well, thats one way to look at it!

• Like 1

Hindsight is 20/20. This is what happens when you put your tank in a spot where you don't have access to scrape the glass!!

IMG_0058_zps46a83e81.jpg

That is a crazy amount of coraline algae. How did you get so much?

That is a crazy amount of coraline algae. How did you get so much?

The tank is up against a small bump out in the wall, so I can't get my magnetic scraper back there... :blush: