Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Only been 6 months??? Wow, great job!!

Looking good.

Thanks guys!

Established on May 25? Mine is a year old today! Our tanks share the same birthday! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Evan, but mine is only 6 months. I guess it's a little silly to get excited about that, but it's a milestone... :)

Your green monti is growing down like the grape...must be the flow and not that they are whacky LOL.

Your purple monti is just teaching my green monti bad habits!

Seriously though, I've never seen that growth pattern before. It gets pretty random cross-flows right there, depending on how strong the MP10 happens to be blowing at the moment. Maybe one day they'll grow outward... fingerscrossed

• Like 1

Something toasted my colony of Magicians. Not sure what happened. They were growing great, and then they all closed up and haven't opened since. The mat is starting to shrink now.

It almost looked like a colony would look if it had ZEN, but I'm 100% positive there were no nudis. Never saw adults or eggs, plus my Melanurus wrasse is relentless. The only thing I ever saw out of the ordinary was a little white, round object attached right at the top of the closed up polyps. It didn't move, and it was hard, almost like a snail shell. I was able to pull one off with tweezers, but it was attached HARD. Pulling on it lifted the entire rock before it separated. I took a close look at the thing when I got it out, but couldn't ID it. I saw one more, and tried to yank it off, but it smooshed flat and I couldn't get it off. I think it might have been a part of the paly itself.

No other colonies seem to have any symptoms. If you know what this might be, please let me know.

I have something similar going on with my RPE zoas - weird hard white thing right on the top. A couple have opened here or there over the last few days but prior to, they were open and happy. I haven't been able to find anything out so I'm curious what you find out! I did find an orange sponge type thing near a part of the mat in the middle of the little colony, but I tweezed it out and didn't se to help at all.

And I still love reading your posts that start with "went to the LFS for water and came back with ..."

That's what mine look like too! The white thing isn't as big, but the same. At first I thought it was the guts coming out until it felt hard.

Look up Zoapox.

It's not zoopox. No warts or pimples anywhere on the colony. Just the two hard bodies on the outside of the closed up polyp.

Looks and feels almost like a snail shell. It's not a sundial, as those are black and white, even when they're babies. Plus, I can't imagine a small snail holding on like that.

Was the polyp expelling some part of itself?

Hey! I just took my zoas out and looked at the two white things under a magnifying glass. They look to be some sort of white snail shaped like a nerite - right at the top over where the zoa would open. They're tiny with a little hard shell. I hadn't seen them move for a couple days but I did see the little feelers under the shell moving around under closer inspection. Not sure if that would be what is on yours. I can't seem to get a good clear photo to show you.

And I can't get them off. Well, I'm afraid to try too hard as I'm paranoid a zoa is going to squirt toxin all over my kitchen :)

• Like 1

Hey! I just took my zoas out and looked at the two white things under a magnifying glass. They look to be some sort of white snail shaped like a nerite - right at the top over where the zoa would open. They're tiny with a little hard shell. I hadn't seen them move for a couple days but I did see the little feelers under the shell moving around under closer inspection. Not sure if that would be what is on yours. I can't seem to get a good clear photo to show you.

You may be right, but it's hard to believe how strong it attaches.

Tank looks really great for 6 months!

Thanks!

And I can't get them off. Well, I'm afraid to try too hard as I'm paranoid a zoa is going to squirt toxin all over my kitchen :)

The one I was able to pull off took a lot of effort. Once it popped off, the zoo looked pretty good (albeit closed up). The second one got smooshed to pieces and never came off.

• Like 1

I really love this tank! How many people just stop in your office to just hang out and check out all the life? And I can't believe it is only 6 months old.

picoreef78

It's not zoopox. No warts or pimples anywhere on the colony. Just the two hard bodies on the outside of the closed up polyp.

Looks and feels almost like a snail shell. It's not a sundial, as those are black and white, even when they're babies. Plus, I can't imagine a small snail holding on like that.

Was the polyp expelling some part of itself?

Whats it eating a snail? Like the M. danae, get it and trade with me when it grows up.

I really love this tank! How many people just stop in your office to just hang out and check out all the life? And I can't believe it is only 6 months old.

Thank you kindly Stella. We just moved the A/P department upstairs outside my office and a few of them came in to check it out. Most people don't really appreciate all the diversity in our reef tanks. They point out the "black Nemos" and that's about it! I get my vicarious back-pats on NR. :)

Whats it eating a snail? Like the M. danae, get it and trade with me when it grows up.

I really have no idea what you're telling me here! Lol...

• Like 2

Thank you kindly Stella. We just moved the A/P department upstairs outside my office and a few of them came in to check it out. Most people don't really appreciate all the diversity in our reef tanks. They point out the "black Nemos" and that's about it! I get my vicarious back-pats on NR. :)

HA! Good point. When people come over here, I get the standard Nemo comment. Newest is that my neon gobies look like worms. Then that's it! I could talk about this stuff for hours and I forget most people's eyes glaze over in about 3 minutes.

• Like 2

You posted a picture of M. danae, yellow one with blue polyps. I am egging you on to pick it up.

OHHH! You totally lost me. I get it now... I texted the guy to see if he'd cut me a deal!

• Like 1
picoreef78

When ever it gets big enough to fray we have to trade. Dallas does not have much in the way of coral variety unfortunately.

• Like 1

OHHH! You totally lost me. I get it now... I texted the guy to see if he'd cut me a deal!

We all know you like to go to the LFS for one thing and you'll come back with either a coral, a fish or both... :)

AND it is really fun to see what you come back with.

We all know you like to go to the LFS for one thing and you'll come back with either a coral, a fish or both... :)

AND it is really fun to see what you come back with.

Yeah yeah... It's one of the few times I'm impulsive in my life!

I didnt know you were so close! I pass irvine all the time. Loving the tank, specially the midas blenny

Thanks! Although Loma Linda isn't especially close! Still good to know "local" folks. I love buying from and trading with hobbyists...

• Like 1